Uni maths textbooks/resources? (1 Viewer)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Hi, I'm sure this might have been answered somewhere but its been quite a while ago in this thread so if anyone has studied University Mathematics before, could you give any guidance on which textbooks or resources would be helpful to study for first year or in general for University. Cheers.

uniqueusername1

HSC
Hi, I'm sure this might have been answered somewhere but its been quite a while ago in this thread so if anyone has studied University Mathematics before, could you give any guidance on which textbooks or resources would be helpful to study for first year or in general for University. Cheers.
Damn you already thinking about uni. Seems like high school may be too easy for you haha.

You want to be a mathematician?

idkkdi

HSC
do you want to study rigorous or non-rigorous maths lol.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Damn you already thinking about uni. Seems like high school may be too easy for you haha.

You want to be a mathematician?
I've studied way ahead so I'm starting to feel fatigued just revising Ext 1/2. I have no qualms with doing harder maths since it doesn't bother me being stuck at a problem for hours. I'm not exactly going to be studying uni maths 5 hours a day, I just want to know so I can get a brief taste of what it is and so when I do finish HSC I have that extra knowledge that can ease me into uni.

I don't know about being a mathematician. I don't want to say I can't but I do enjoy maths a lot so i just want to be in something where I can be able to be in touch with mathematics frequently.

do you want to study rigorous or non-rigorous maths lol.
As of now I don't want to get too in depth, I still want to focus on HSC primarily especially English, starting to spend more time on it, I don't want it to be the reason I don't achieve my fullest. Just want to get something for first year type difficulty and for reasons I listed above.

Last edited:

andrew12678

HSC
First year maths is usually some combination of Linear Algebra, Calculus, Statistics and Discrete Maths. If you want to get your hand on some textbooks you can probably just google some titles and then head to libgen. But for uni, I think most people just make do with some lecture notes, similar to what's available here: https://www.sydney.edu.au/students/mathematics-statistics.html

quickoats

HSC
which one? baby, papa or grandpa rudin?
never heard of them being referred to as that lol

imo they are kinda inaccessible and confusing, so for a decent intro into the unfamiliar territory of uni maths is 31 bluebrown's series on linear algebra. if you're not intending on being a math major you don't really need to give a shit about this since your experience with algebra will just be number crunching, but it's a (relatively) light intro into the abstractness of it

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Schaum‘s outlines are pretty good. I have hardcopy’s of them and there are so many that they will fill a whole shelf. But they are also available as ebooks.

I also have the ebooks and maybe I’m old-fashioned but when I consult the Schaum outlines I almost always look at the hardcopies, not the ebooks.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Yes. Walter Rudin was a popular textbook or reference for Analysis in the 1960s and 1970s. Schaum Series was very popular in those days and I've a good dozen plus volumes on my shelves.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)