Unilodge... who's in? (1 Viewer)

romancandle

HSC
Just got the offer today for unilodge, not one of my preferences but hey thats how the luck goes! Im into davey, a 3 bedroom shared apartment. The floor plan doesnt look to bad.

As it looks like offers are just starting to filter through Id thought Id try and find out who else got what, and what information you know that I/others might not!

Things like... whens everyone planning on moving in? whats the parking situation like... fees? I realise there was a post similar to this a little while down the track.. but yeh that one didnt ask about parking.

Oh, and on a side note. Whats the bar situation like? I didnt even look at the building at the open day.. and floor plans have a habit of bsing.

Good luck and god speed to all those who havent received offers.

garrybarry

HSC
I've been told I'm going to be offered a place there. Probably Davey as others seem to be getting that building. I'm hoping for a multishare, probs a 3 bed one. I'm failry certain they don't have a bar. Not sure about parking either. Sorry I couldn't really answer your questions. I think the floor plans would be failry accurate, so I wouldn't worry about that.

romancandle

HSC
mm may have to buy a still then... orr befreind a sciences student who knows what they're doing! :p

And as for floor plans being accurate... apparently the 2 bedroom appartment is bigger (43 sqm) then a 3 bedroom (35 sqm). Im really hoping thats a glitch :uhoh:

Parking fees arent explained in the brochure, although they are mentioned a few times. Apparently only 37 exist for 400+ students.

shotgun!

Im planning on giving them a call to see if theres anyway you can reserve or pre-pay fees for a spot..

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
there's an IGA very near unilodge that sells booze. the lack of a bar wouldn't worry me too much
Of course it wouldn't, one lemon lime and bitters is enough to make you sing like a canary!

garrybarry

HSC
lol I'm guessing it's probably cheaper too. Do the halls mark up the booze? The car spots to student ratio seems way off... not saying that it's wrong but just there should be more car spots. The new building would be awesome... I really hope I get that.

ArtOfLosing

HSC
As far as carparking goes, Davey Lodge has about 30 spots, which is ridiculous and they cost (well they did last year) about $20 a week... which adds up to a lot. If you can I'd suggest trying to get a spot in one of the ANU multi storey places (there's one just behing Davey), one of my friends had this and its a lot cheaper.
Personally I think the parking situation is a rip off. My sister lived at Ursies and we shared a car which stayed there with her.
I'm not sure of the situation at Kinloch, I know there's a pretty huge carpark there - I woke up to them buliding it all last year (as my room was on that side of the building), so spaces shouldn't be hard to come by but I'm not sure of costs.

And the booze situation. There is no bar but IGA is a block away, and Superbarn a little further again so it's not an issue. House parties = fun times.

The new building is pretty sweet - all my friends who moved in are loving their new a/c...

romancandle

HSC
As far as carparking goes, Davey Lodge has about 30 spots, which is ridiculous and they cost (well they did last year) about $20 a week... which adds up to a lot. If you can I'd suggest trying to get a spot in one of the ANU multi storey places (there's one just behing Davey), one of my friends had this and its a lot cheaper.
Personally I think the parking situation is a rip off. My sister lived at Ursies and we shared a car which stayed there with her.
I'm not sure of the situation at Kinloch, I know there's a pretty huge carpark there - I woke up to them buliding it all last year (as my room was on that side of the building), so spaces shouldn't be hard to come by but I'm not sure of costs.

And the booze situation. There is no bar but IGA is a block away, and Superbarn a little further again so it's not an issue. House parties = fun times.

The new building is pretty sweet - all my friends who moved in are loving their new a/c...

Next question.. how does one secure one of these spots in a ANU multi storey place?

Hypermelon

HSC
Um.... Yes there is a bar. on the main walk thing which leads striaght to the city. Remember going to a lecture theatre near it at night and the bar was pounding with music. Gyroscope was playing. Its the only place in Canberra that hosts decent gigs.

The anu is also very close to the CBD, where all the pubs and stuff are

i wish i were 18 so i could go to 'the big o' @ the anu bar
http://www.anuunion.com.au/displaypage.cfm?pageID=71

the fratellis n bluejuice . . . .

Last edited:

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Next question.. how does one secure one of these spots in a ANU multi storey place?
Fill out a form at ANU parking office. You need to be enrolled in a few subjects (at least 3 per semester by memory) to be allocated a space. Spots are limited, so go to the office the instant your enrolments are done. I tried my best to get a spot prior to enrolling, but they didn't feel charitable.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
unilodge can't be that bad... it's closest to manning clark anyway (where most first year lectures are)

emiline

HSC
So is annyyyyoooonnnnnneeeeee in a 3B multishare in Kinloch....I am, and I am a first year who hopes to share with other first years or at least be near first years to make some friends!
So what is the cultural side of UniLodge like? Is it like a residential college with debating and music and stuff? I really hope so, and I really hope it is social as well!

Sammy-Blue

HSC
So is annyyyyoooonnnnnneeeeee in a 3B multishare in Kinloch....I am, and I am a first year who hopes to share with other first years or at least be near first years to make some friends!
So what is the cultural side of UniLodge like? Is it like a residential college with debating and music and stuff? I really hope so, and I really hope it is social as well!
There wouldn't be too many first years I'd imagine, and even then most will be very studious international students.

garrybarry

HSC
There wouldn't be too many first years I'd imagine, and even then most will be very studious international students.
If you're refering to the new building specifically, I'm sure UL set aside a certain amount of places for first years. Just like UL last year, firsts years will be well represented, so don't listen to posts like the above. This has been mentioned from someone who actually lived there. It's also been mentioned that UL does compete in the interhall stuff, which includes arts, sport, music, debating etc. It should be good, so don't let people like Sammy-Blue make you think otherwise.

Last edited:

Sammy-Blue

HSC
If you're refering to the new building specifically, I'm sure UL set aside a certain amount of places for first years. Just like UL last year, firsts years will be well represented, so don't listen to posts like the above. This has been mentioned from someone who actually lived there. It's also been mentioned that UL does compete in the interhall stuff, which includes arts, sport, music, debating etc. It should be good, so don't let people like Sammy-Blue make you think otherwise.
In regards to the first years I was referring specifically to Kinloch. And given the responses we've seen in this thread, I'm happy to assume I'm right (and hell, in my own mind, I usually am). My other comments are based on what I've seen there and been told by people I know who live there. It might make a massive leap this year, especially if there are enough enthusiastic first years. I personally will be showing up at UL quite a bit for food, so I'm not trying to deface it. But it still won't stack up in community compared to other established colleges.

romancandle

HSC
But it still won't stack up in community compared to other established colleges.
Hopefully we can get less people complaining and more people shifting things into gear in an attempt to improve the situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)