UniLodge! (1 Viewer)

ArtOfLosing

HSC
Since every other on campus accomodation now has a dedicated thread, I thought I'd start one for UniLodge. I lived there last year and for this year I've migrated up to the 4th floor - yay. Who am I going to meet there this year?

chromaKi

HSC
Hey Neat :p
I, too, will be at UniLodge this year. Dunno where I'm located, but I DO know that I'll have some kind of roommate/animal/vegetable/mineral.

kretzy

HSC
I'll be there! :)

Have no idea where but I do know I'm in a 3-bedroom apartment with an external view. I don't know who I'm staying with either. It was my last preference for accommodation but it'll have to do for now. I've heard UniLodge can be a bit anti-social but I'm hoping it'll be ok.

Evilo

HSC
Like everything, its what you make of it :)
Hopefully you guys will get a good group going.

HSC
I'll probably be going there too. Same situation as kretzy. I hope we get a good group going. Hopefully with the accommodation shortage this year there will be more locals staying at unilodge.

chromaKi

HSC
01169 said:
Hopefully with the accommodation shortage this year there will be more locals staying at unilodge.
lol, accommodation shortage? There's ALWAYS an accommodation shortage! :p

HSC
Well apparently this year it's worse. What does UniLodge charge per MB for the internet?

chromaKi

HSC
Oddly enough, it's got a fixed pricing as part of the utilities. Apart from that though, I have no idea. It'd be pretty sucky to have to pay for the ethernet port as well as the data!

Evilo

HSC
chromaKi said:
lol, accommodation shortage? There's ALWAYS an accommodation shortage! :p
not really, last year there were spare rooms for 1sr sem in b&G and fenner

Evilo

HSC
chromaKi said:
Oddly enough, it's got a fixed pricing as part of the utilities. Apart from that though, I have no idea. It'd be pretty sucky to have to pay for the ethernet port as well as the data!
paying for both is standard in non anu owned properties.
You only pay for non anu data, and all .edu sites can be accessed for free on library computers. Even 'the network' is anu data and not charged. Tbh its pretty easy to get away with not spending heaps on net.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
chromaKi said:
that's like saying "i paid for my mobile but believe all calls should be free".

either way it'll probably some crazy-ass price like 5cents per meg.

chromaKi

HSC
Nono, I realise that data should be charged, but why do we have to rent out the ethernet port, if all other halls and colleges give it to us?

Evilo

HSC
jas0nt said:
that's like saying "i paid for my mobile but believe all calls should be free".

either way it'll probably some crazy-ass price like 5cents per meg.
i think its 2.5 now jason? or does that not apply to UL?

kretzy

HSC
There's a summary of how much data costs at each residence here. Most places are 2 cents per MB, Johns is 2.5 and a few are 7 cents. Unilodge says TBA...I'm hoping its 2!

kretzy

HSC
So when are people moving in? I think I'm going to drive up next Saturday so that I have Sunday to settle in before the O-week craziness starts.

Will there be somewhere to park my car initially? I understand we can't get parking permits for some stupid reason but is there somewhere I can park temporarily before I organise parking in one of the parking stations?

Evilo

HSC
well johns gives you a temporary parking permit (for a few days), i would "assume" they would have the same??

ArtOfLosing

HSC
There is a big car park across the street which is free on weekends, otherwise it's about $5 or 7 or something for all day parking. There are a few ANU places close by but they fill up fast - and I'm prety sure they are permit only... not sure how lenient they will be...

Oh, and I'm moving back in tomorrow! I'm going to try job hunting before the bulk of people move back so maybe I'll get some source of income that isn't parental this year...

Last edited:

HSC
I know there's already a thread about what to bring when you move, but considering UniLodge is a bit different to the other residences, I though I'd ask it specifically for UniLodge. Do we have to bring pots and pans? For those of us sharing a 3 bedroom, there might be quite a lot of cooking utensils. Also, what about blankets and pillows?

ArtOfLosing

HSC
It's Canberra, Neat. Why don't you cycle around like the rest of us?
I don't drive mostly (the car lives at ursies with my sis and comes out if i need to get to the other side of the city or something) I don't cycle though either... (I have a slight bike phobia since I had a big bike related accident when I was younger) I just walk everywhere - thats another plus for unilodge, it's central to both uni and the city so walking anywhere takes just 5mins.

As to what to bring... basically all that you get is furniture. If you get nice room mates you could share cooking utensils and such but there is plenty of kitchen space so it doesn't hurt to bring them just in case. If you're not sure you could always wait and buy some once you get here and suss out the situation. As a basic guide, you'll want fry pan/pots (depending on what/how yoy like to cook), cutlery, stuff like a grater and sieve, wooden spoons etc (again depending on what you like), plates, cups, bowles, a kettle and toaster (maybe wait for these - a roommate may have one otherwise they only cost about $10 or less thesedays). There is a microwave and a stovetop to cook with and a shared oven in the commonroom but I couldn't live without my electric benchtop oven, its great for making cheese on toast for a quick snack.
As for bedding, you'll get a bed, matress and matress protector. Bring whatever you need to slep comfortably (and warmly when it gets cooler).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)