UniMelb curriculum (1 Viewer)

Cziffra

HSC
N/A
hi friends,

does the UniMelb still adopt one of the most traditional medical curricula in Australia? i.e. very little to no PBL, huge emphasis on the basic sciences, clear distinction between the pre-clinical/clinical years...etc? (so they don't touch a stethoscope till 4th year or so?...)

and does it still use cadaveric dissection as part of the learning of anatomy?

Thanks!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I don't know much about Melbourne specifically, but I do know that such is no longer the case in any of the Australian medical schools. I am told that their curriculum is similar to UWA (ie "integrated") in which there is some PBL (once a week for us, two sessions per case) and some clinical contact from first year; but strong emphasis on basic sciences.

As an example, this semester we begin our systems-based learning, with cardiovascular and respiratory on the table for semester 2 of first year (along with the biochemistry and molecular biology). This week my Friday physiology lab is heart sounds, next week my clinical skills session is on cardiovascular histories and the week after is thoracic examination (auscultation).

Hardly "not touching a stethoscope until fourth year", but then again Melbourne may be different. Even UTas (the last to change to a "new course") students auscultate in second year (needing their own scopes in third).

inasero

Reborn
HSC
the simple answer to your questions:
1) yes;
2) yes

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
1) no.
2) yes

i asked a couple of unimelb kids... but their opinion is tat their course is waffly too :) i.e. PBL

inasero

Reborn
HSC
1) no.
2) yes

i asked a couple of unimelb kids... but their opinion is tat their course is waffly too i.e. PBL
how do they not have one of the oldest curricula in Australia? I mean, it's been around for yonks along with Syd. Uni

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
When are they due for reaccreditation?

Anyway, I think Alvin was saying more that it's not totally old school, but has a bit of PBL and integrated systems dashed in.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
I think it's a little bit more than "just a dash" of PBL. Everyone seems to have this misconception that it's all old school, but they do plenty of waffly stuff too.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Well they seem to have about as much as I do, and compared to the Adelaide/Monash/Newcastle mob, 1 a week and 2 a case doesn't seem to be much at all. They get three sessions/one case per week.

Cziffra

HSC
N/A
do they get to learn any hands on clinical stuff in first year? like taking blood, measuring BP...etc....

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah from wat i gather.. they are about the same..

yes i kno we would all love to rip into unimelb (i do :p).. but credit where credits due..
topics lik GIT Melb did it ahead of UNSW and about the same time as adelaide..
cranial nerves are being done now at Melb.. UNSW did it just before adelaide.. etc..

its the same shit spread out differently...

their current curriculum is based on USyd and Newcaslte's so its hard for it to precede them.. but its more diadactic learning..
i suspect its just the schools trying to get the longest accreditation with the AMC possible..

inasero: do u still want s1 of grey's? sorrri cbf PM'ing..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ooh I got Grey's this afternoon. Haven't watched it yet, need to start studying already... :(

Last edited:

Lauzarina

HSC
1st semester at melb uni.. u do 2 subjects 1. Principles of biomedical science ( with the Physios and the Dents ) covers many topics from embryology to biochemistry and includes 1 session of PBL per week 2. Health Practice..

Cziffra

HSC
N/A
Lauzarina said:
1st semester at melb uni.. u do 2 subjects 1. Principles of biomedical science ( with the Physios and the Dents ) covers many topics from embryology to biochemistry and includes 1 session of PBL per week 2. Health Practice..
Thanks for the info. Do you think Melb will do any drastic change to the 1st year curriculum for 2006?

I know the Uni is selling those course notes in shrink-wrapped packages, and that's why I couldn't take a look at what's in them. Do you mind telling me a bit about the content of the "principles of biomedical science" notes? Are they very detailed subject notes from which you do most of your studies, and supplement those notes here and there with textbooks? or do they just give you an outline of what you're supposed to read from textbooks?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Lauzarina

HSC
the course notes are like pre lecture notes.. say, a summary of the lectures to be held.. though for most quite comprehensive.. u still need to look at textbooks though..

PBS also includes weeks on biology, genetics, physiology, pathology, pharmacology, immunology etc etc...

last i heard they wanted to cram even more into that subject... pwoah! we were advised to write on the feedback forms that this would not be feasible..

Cziffra

HSC
N/A
Does unimelb run bridging courses in chemistry and physics? or does it assume that you've learnt those subjects already and immediately build upon them? For example, starting biochemistry right away without a review of key concepts in organic/physical chemistry?

I'm concerned as I don't feel comfortable with chemistry....and it seems like chemistry is everywhere in medicine...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)