Unis turn away from single entry mark (1 Viewer)

Should there only be one way of determining entrance?

• Yes, one entry mark only

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • No, a variety of methods should be used.

Votes: 57 78.1%

• Total voters

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/unis-turn-away-from-single-entry-mark/2007/08/10/1186530564085.html

MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY will offer places to some school-leavers using a combination of the students' HSC results and other tests - and at least five other universities may follow in a sign of their lack of confidence in the present admissions system.
I was looking at SMH.com.au and came across this article (from Fri) and it surprised me that not all unis will be determining entrance by using HSC/equivalent marks because they see this admission system as no good.

I reckon that it's a bit confusing with each uni having a different entrance scheme to each other. Aa.Is it any more accurate in determining who deserves to get a place in uni? Hmmm.......

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
It'd be better if it was across the board but I think it's a step in the right direction.

The UAI isn't the best way of determining whether or not you get in and a variety of other tests [depending on what they are] would be a good way of seeing a students range.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
It's about time we're recognized for our individual abilities. Hopefully this paves the way to at least revising the rigid high school syllabi.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Either UAC should use to UAI and the UAI alone to determine entrance or turn to a UCAS system which can be discriminatory.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I'd like to see interviews, written applications, other tests and so on used to determine admission, as in the US, at least for high-demand courses. Courses like law, commerce, media at top-tier universities have absurdly overinflated UAIs, so a broader range of criteria could help admit people who are competent and interested in the subject area but aren't necessarily superbrains in the way that the UAI calculates.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Triangulum said:
I'd like to see interviews, written applications, other tests and so on used to determine admission, as in the US, at least for high-demand courses. Courses like law, commerce, media at top-tier universities have absurdly overinflated UAIs, so a broader range of criteria could help admit people who are competent and interested in the subject area but aren't necessarily superbrains in the way that the UAI calculates.
There are a few courses where selection like that is used. Mostly Creative Arts programs where you have to prove your passion and that you have some background in it.

I don't see why it shouldn't be done for the top demand courses.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Macquarie's vice-chancellor, Steven Schwartz, says the university is investigating the use of an assets test to determine university entrance. Such tests would be similar to those used by Centrelink to determine welfare eligibility, but targeting those at the opposite end of the scale.

"It's a competitive world out there," said Schwartz, "and we all know UAI isn't always a meaningful indication of a student's talent. That's why we're looking into other criteria to make sure we can get the best students."

Some of the suggestions for documentation to use for entry criteria include bank statements and share or property portfolios. Andrew Stanton, the managing director of UAC, said he had no problem with universities using supplementary measures in choosing who to admit, as long as he gets his brown paper bag at the end of each month.
You know it's true.

Last edited:

Helpme!!!!!!!

HSC
N/A
they put us through a year of pain and then they want to put us through more... as much as the uai sucks... more testing? i really don't like the idea at all

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Helpme!!!!!!! said:
they put us through a year of pain and then they want to put us through more... as much as the uai sucks... more testing? i really don't like the idea at all
The point would be to take some of the pressure off the UAI and I think that it wouldn't be "more testing" in the same vein as the HSC tests. It's an aptitude test which you can't study for and the application is a good idea.

Cyance

HSC
Tulipa said:
The point would be to take some of the pressure off the UAI and I think that it wouldn't be "more testing" in the same vein as the HSC tests. It's an aptitude test which you can't study for and the application is a good idea.
If they thought these things through properly they wouldn't have to announce them 3/4 of the way through the HSC year. It's all well and good to say it will take the pressure off but the main "pressure" is already over anyway, it's just getting to the finish line... Then more testing!

It's a good idea but it should be have been made for at the start of a HSC year.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Cyance said:
If they thought these things through properly they wouldn't have to announce them 3/4 of the way through the HSC year. It's all well and good to say it will take the pressure off but the main "pressure" is already over anyway, it's just getting to the finish line... Then more testing!

It's a good idea but it should be have been made for at the start of a HSC year.
Read the article. It's a preliminary thing, not something they're going to do across the board and for every university and every degree. Thus it probably won't impact on you anyways.

It'll be good once it gets up and running. Especially for kids in later years.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
loverboy said:
man uai sucks it doesnt prove anything
It does prove a lot. The difference between a 90 and a 60 is a lot. But what's the difference between 100 and 99, or even 95. Fuck all imo.

Gosford

HSC
jb_nc said:
It does prove a lot. The difference between a 90 and a 60 is a lot. But what's the difference between 100 and 99, or even 95. Fuck all imo.
thats the sort of thing with medicien
they think tha difference between 95 and 100 is insignifcant
more important differences than that

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Gosford said:
thats the sort of thing with medicien
they think tha difference between 95 and 100 is insignifcant
more important differences than that
That's a beautiful poem. Is it in iambic pentameter?

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
More tests just means more confusion, less transparency and more pressure on y12 students. The beauty of the one entry mark system is in its universality and simplicity. Everyone knows what they need to achieve. The cut-offs may change from time to time but they aren't likely to change by much. Aptitude tests may seem attractive but they merely expand the tutoring industry.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Triangulum said:
I'd like to see interviews, written applications, other tests and so on used to determine admission, as in the US, at least for high-demand courses.
Yes. It's better if for courses with high drop out rates and extreme difficulty and/or high levels of demand, to have more rigorous methods of testing such as an interview, a test set by the uni(s) or another body etc. One well-known example is Medicine.

I'm quite undecided on this issue of whether or not all courses should have entrance schemes this way but it may be a bit too difficult and too costly for them to stage this.

As the lad in the article said- there may be problems in how the UAI reflects capability in uni. I'm sure that people before have questioned the usage of the UAI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)