• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Unit Levels (1 Viewer)

klh

HSC
WEll as i have just finish first year, and i am going as per normal and in a particular post, someone mentions unit levels which has really broken my thread. since i did not consider them until now.

To those who are in 2nd yr and up, how was 200 level units compared to 100 level units? Is it alot harder or more workr what?
Im getting nervous again and i dont want to further stuff my gpa up by not knowing what epectatio0ns are expected from me.
please help!
Also, what is 300 level like? The upcoming semester i am also doing a 300 level one as well.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I did 3 or 4 level 200 subjects in second semester of first year.

Basically the only difference between level 100 subjects and level 200 subjects are:
level 100 subjects are just basically introductionary subjects which don't require a whole heap of work.
level 200 subjects require much more research but still the work load isn't that bad. You just need to time manage well ... you pretty much can't leave an assignment til the day before its due ... unlike level 1 subjects.

For example, i did tourism and community studies last semester which was a level 200 subjects - there were 5 assignments - there was a major one worth 35% ... but this wasn't just written ... we had to build a model ... there was also a survey that needed to be done within the community. Also there is weekly work which is needed to be done each week ... sometimes this occurs level 100 as well.

As for level 300 subjects - i'm not entirely sure ... but i am doing one in first semster next year ... and second semester i'm going to die ... i'm doing 3 level 300 subjects and 1 level 200 subjects.

You need to be careful of the subject levels cause some degrees have set amounts you can do of each level. For example i can only do up to 10 level 100 subjects. And we have to do a minimum of 6 level 300 subjects.

klh

HSC
Thanks! so more research or work is needed to do assignments. that means more complex theories and stuff as well? More references, journals needed?

I think i get what you mean. This year, some of my assignemnts were done before the due day.
I thought it was standard that all degrees are only allowed 10 units at 100 level in a Bachelors anyway.

SO its not really high expectations? Like more critical, in depth? Sorta like 100 level but more owrk right? ok thanks...

HOpe you the best next year!

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Much more research is required. Like for one of my level 200 subjects tourism issues and change we had to do a critical literature review. We were required to have found 30 resources which included like 15 journals 10 websites and 5 books. So that is much more than you would ever use for a level 100 subject.

I'm not sure about the theories ... but they are probably more complex and require much more time to understand the question that is being asked and require a variety of resources to answer the question.

Level 200 subjects you are more likely be required to think critically unlike level 100 subjects.

Personally i like level 200 subjects better than level 100 subjects - they didn't make me as lazy cause i already knew the work and more work is required.

klh

HSC
much more is expected!!!! wahhhh
30 resources!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy cow, but were you given like suggested links etc? or you had to do them by yourself? That will take more time. how long does it take you to do that type of assignment? About 3 weeks or more?
I better grit me teeth and go on with it. But you are right, from your point of view, it helps motivate you.
thanks dude/dudette [i assume dude?].

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
we didn't get any links to anything ... we had to find everything ourselves. We had pretty easy topics to do ... cause i did a lit review on tourism and terrorism - which was pretty easy. And level 200 generally required about 30 resources altogether ... even if you didn't use them all in your assignment ... its alwasy good to put more resources at the end.

Its generally good to actually start researching in the first week of semester where there is no work that needs to be done. I did that with a nature based tourism assignment - which wasn't due til week 12 ... everyone thought i was strange that i was borrowing the books - but its good to get in early - photocopy them and saves the stress that comes a week before the assignments due cause the book isn't there.

As for the time it takes to do an assignment ... depends on the assignment - with 30 resources say ... you have to read them ... and i generally read them about 3 times to get my head around them ... then analyse them and summarise them ... then you gotta draft the assignment and then the final copy (well thats how i do my assignments and i also catch a train to uni which gives me heaps of time to do some work ... unless i'm dead in the morning).

klh

HSC
really??? a girl? Oh...i mean, hem hem, 10 units? The most i did in 100 level was 8 resources.
If you did 200 level next year, does that mean yo skipped a year before you went to uni? I thought you were in 2nd year...
Man, more work...well as long as the stuff interests me i would have no trouble...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
How come everyone has only basically done level 100 subjects - maybe my degree is odd :p but i have only done about 4 or 5 level 100 subjects and the rest are level 200 subjects.

klh

HSC
i mihgt need to remind you that i've just finished first year, so it might be because uhhh i'm in first year?[sarcasm] Ive wasted 3 100 levels as electives so if i didnt, i would only do about 6 100 levels in my new degree.
i dont do drafts, but i guess its time to take the advice instead of hiding. I dont do drafts but instead i reread them and re-correct paragraphs, sentences to make it sound clearer and stuff.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I have only just finished first year as well ... i didn't used to do drafts until level 200 subjects came along ... we didnt get any electives to choose in first year ... but we had to choose 6 in second year ... so i decided to get the higher levels out of the way first ... but i'm thinking it might be a huge work load.

MonkEE

HSC
N/A
Do you think this idea is wise?

Doing level 3 subjects(high levels) in your early years so it would be easier for you later on?

because if you do all levels 1 one year, all level 2 second year,
AND THEN in year 3, you're stuffed with all level 3 units.

why not balance it out?

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Thats what i'm doing ... getting most of my level 300 subjects out of the way first well in second year so when i have to do a major research project in 3rd year as one of my core subjects i can do level 100 subjects and make it easier.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
natstar ... whats the recommended structure in the handbook ... i'd have a look but someone has my handbook.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
i guess you can do anything ... cause theres no way in hell i'm going to do 8 level 3 subjects in 3rd year ... too much work ... even our core subjects are balanced out. for second semester i did 3 level 2 subjects and 1 level 1 subject.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
thats what i'm doing ... i think that i'm doing 2 or 3 level 3 subjects this year and only doing 1 level 1 subject.

michelleanne

HSC
Hi!

This is some advice I have in regards to unit levels and changing the reccommended sequence of your degree.

I know quite a few people that decided to get all their electives out of the way and leave their core units to their final years. They were not following the recommended structure in the handbook. The problem is when they came to their last year, they had clahes in their timetable for their core units and had to drop one of the units and come back the year after to finish off one unit.

Its very well to structure your units how you would like but you may risk clahes- because the uni only guarantees no clashes for those who study the reccomended sequence in their particular course.

Also, the sequence of subjects reccommended by the uni is there for a reason. It starts from intro level units until level 3- more advanced.. units. From my own experience, the expectations of students in level three units is greater than level two or one and therfore are meant for students in their third or fourth year. When it comes to marking, tutors and lecturers will expect a third of fourth year standard and won't care if your in first of second year- because the unit is not meant for those year levels. Therefore, your marks are likely to suffer.

Also, level 3 units are an extension of level 1 and 2 units. Therefore, if you are doing level 3 units first you are missing much of the essential foundational concepts and information/knowledge and putting your self in a great disadvanatage.

Anyway, this is just some helpful advice that is not usually told to students...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I'm keeping the structure of the course ... but i only have one core subject each semester so its three electives.

In first semester i'm doing 1 level 1 subject; 2 level 2 subjects and 1 level 3 subject.

In third year i know i have to go to queensland for a week and go to an ecological sustainable development workshop as part of my core subjects.

michelleanne

HSC
i didn't mean to sound so brash but sometimes chopping and changing canreally backfire...........especially having to come back the year after to complete one unit.....

On another note, it terms of level 3 units- as long as you put the work into it people should be fine.... the difference i found between level 1/2 and 3 is: assignments- more weightings of 50%, assignments are a lot more involved and not as simple and straigtforward, assignments are related to each other, no exams, a greater word count for assessments, more research required- heaps more, written assessments requires more thought and discussion about the content and not just answering the question- being able to explore the topic area and be critical- not just agreeing with the info- more analysis. Assignments are somewhat more practical- reflect what you would be doing once you are in the field..... and harder marking.....

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
michelleanne are u suggesting that we should do all of our level 3 subjects in third year ... wouldn't that be a huge workload though??? cause in first year second semester i was doing level 2 subjects - of which were compulsory subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)