• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Units Dilemma =/ (1 Viewer)

Finx

HSC
Okay, in a nutshell, I'm doing 12 units at the moment.

3U English and 3U maths and Software Design are the problem

I hate 3U English. I hate Software Design. I like maths.

Dropping 3U English + Dropping Software Design = -3 units

Therefore I must pick up 4U maths.

10 units with 4U maths in there is risky.

My 3U maths marks have been 73%-first term and 50%-second term (I ran out of time for this one. I only got to complete about 7/10 of the test)

My prelims are coming up and I'm working hard at them.

What should I do?

renaoak17

HSC
im doing advanced english, 3u math, bst, bio, chem, sor1 but im trying to keep my hsc as easy as possible. im only getting 50% in ext 1 math and am dropping it so to get as high a uai as possible. it depends on what u want to do as a career. originally i wanted to do acturarial studies but am luving business so want to do international business studies doubling in law. i need like a 99 uai nd the only way of getting there is drop my worst and do better in my best. im getting 80% nd 90% in the rest of my subjects with no real effort. if i drop math ext and spend more time on my others ill do heaps better and have a chance. mth ext is taking up too much of my time.

it boils down to what u need for a uai and whats going to get u there
hope that helps

bubblesss

HSC
i'd say drop software and design and keep 3 unit english as a backup. that way u will have 11 units which is perfectly fine. and yeh pick up 4 unit maths!!!!!!!!!!!

Finx

HSC
I really hate 3U English though. Studying texts and concepts isn't my thing, and I barely put any effort into my Major Work (I didn't even complete half of it when I handed it in).

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
There's nothing wrong with 10 units. With 10 units you have more time to focus on 4unit maths.

HSC
N/A
Finx said:
I really hate 3U English though. Studying texts and concepts isn't my thing, and I barely put any effort into my Major Work (I didn't even complete half of it when I handed it in).
im kinda in the same boat as you. i suck at physics and absolutely hate it so im dropping it. i plan to do 4u maths and keep eco and business, and that plus english is 10units. but i reckon 4u maths with 10units is too risky so im gonna keep 3u english as a backup, even tho i dont enjoy it too much. then if i find im okay with ten units in year 12 ill drop 3u english.

so yeah i reckon u should 4u maths and keep 3u english as a backup if you struggle :cool:

Finx

HSC
3U English as a backup? That's like asking New Zealand to be the backup for USA's military.

Finx

HSC
I really need some opinions here guys. Help per-lease =[

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Finx said:
Since when did Ext I English require a major work to be completed? It's easier than advanced english imo.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
DiligentStudent said:
If it was easier, then why are you working at bunnings?

EPIC FAIL.
Ever heard of a casual job?

Edit: I fail to see how my job even relates to what I said.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
what major work for ext 1?
imo, ext 1 english is a breeze and if you drop software you've still got 10 units...

not sure if 4u maths is your thing with a 70 av in 3U

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
katie tully said:
imo, ext 1 english is a breeze
:)

Compared to Ext I English, Advanced English is more time consuming and involves a lot more work. If you try hard enough, you might actually enjoy EEI.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
yeah i found i enjoyed ee1 even more though, because we got to look at a wide range of lit, instead of those shit prescribed texts
more freedom to write with expression and your own thoughts too, as opposed to writing to suit the syllabus

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
katie tully said:
yeah i found i enjoyed ee1 even more though, because we got to look at a wide range of lit, instead of those shit prescribed texts
more freedom to write with expression and your own thoughts too, as opposed to writing to suit the syllabus
And most people would only have to go to five classes over a fortnight. The exams are easier too - Two questions (One essay and one short story), an hour for each.

-tal-

HSC
Finx said:
I really need some opinions here guys. Help per-lease =[
I love 4u maths. Write that on a post it and stick it where you'll see it. It works I tell you, it's the basic principles of marketing.

That way, you'll learn to like maths, and will do it. Therefore, 4u problem solved. Or, pick up 4u maths and keep everything else (ie do 13 units for a while) If you can't do it, decide to drop something else.

However, I'd adivse you to drop SDD. Ext english will help you learn to actually like english, practice the english thing... it works, experience at dissecting texts will only benefit you. Whatever you hate will become your downfall. So learn to tolerate/like english before it kills your uai.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
katie tully said:
Just wondering, I'm considering doing EX1 next year, however, I'm not 100% sure. I'll probably make the cutoff for EX1, but the Head of English said that once you start EX1, you won't be allowed to drop it. Is this true?

HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Just wondering, I'm considering doing EX1 next year, however, I'm not 100% sure. I'll probably make the cutoff for EX1, but the Head of English said that once you start EX1, you won't be allowed to drop it. Is this true?
what thats bullshit. u can drop it anytime time u want, why wont u be allowed to drop it?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Aerath said:
it's not true
as long as you've got enough units you can drop it

im confused as to why you're starting in year 12 though? :confused:

Finx

HSC
katie tully said:
Nuuu, I hate English. I hate the whole concept of expressing your ideas through essay writing.. blah blah, I could bitch about it for ages.

I'm considering trying hard in SDD and doing 12 units until I find out how 4U math is like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)