Units (1 Viewer)

Eg155

HSC
What is your take on unit amounts?

Do you think it is better to carry less units for the HSC or more for security?

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
it depends on how much you can handle on your workload.
If youre good at all your subs and confident that you can get good results, then drop to 10 units.
If not, wait till after your half yearlies or even a bit later and decide whether or not you want to drop to 10 units.
Ultimately its up to you and how you feel. Id stick with 12 units until half yearlies then decide which to drop if I cant handle it. If you can, just keep 12+ units for security.

deswa1

HSC
I think this is a very personal question. Personally, I liked all 12 of my units and I could cope with them all so I kept all 12 to the end and even now I still don't know what'll count which I think is fantastic because it means that my backup was actually useful (like my chem might end up being one mark higher than my phys which doesn't seem like much but makes a difference to ATAR etc.). So I'd advocate 12 units.

Having said this, most of my friends just went down the classic route of 4 maths, phys and chem and didn't do eco like me (so they had 10 units). This was defs the best thing for them because they didn't like eco and their eco was not near the standard of their phys/chem so it would be a waste of time+ they wouldn't enjoy it.

Summing up -> 12 units is useful if your 12th unit is actually useful (like it has a chance of counting to your ATAR) plus its better if you enjoy your subjects. Defs keep 12 for the first assessments imo and go from there

enoilgam

HSC
I think this is a very personal question. Personally, I liked all 12 of my units and I could cope with them all so I kept all 12 to the end and even now I still don't know what'll count which I think is fantastic because it means that my backup was actually useful (like my chem might end up being one mark higher than my phys which doesn't seem like much but makes a difference to ATAR etc.). So I'd advocate 12 units.

Having said this, most of my friends just went down the classic route of 4 maths, phys and chem and didn't do eco like me (so they had 10 units). This was defs the best thing for them because they didn't like eco and their eco was not near the standard of their phys/chem so it would be a waste of time+ they wouldn't enjoy it.

Summing up -> 12 units is useful if your 12th unit is actually useful (like it has a chance of counting to your ATAR) plus its better if you enjoy your subjects. Defs keep 12 for the first assessments imo and go from there
This pretty much - it really depends on personal preference and performance really. For me, I wanted a safety net and I was doing around equally well in my subjects, so I decided to go with 11 units. If you are doing well in 10 units but poorly in your extras, then there probably isnt much point doing more than 10.

Eg155

HSC
Yeah, I see what you're saying guys.

It's just everytime I go to get the teacher's permission to drop they want a million reasons why I would drop THEIR subject.
So I don't end up following through on the drop... such a scary experience.

enoilgam

HSC
Yeah, I see what you're saying guys.

It's just everytime I go to get the teacher's permission to drop they want a million reasons why I would drop THEIR subject.
So I don't end up following through on the drop... such a scary experience.
You have to be assertive with this sort of thing. You are the person in charge of your HSC and you bear responsibility for it. Sure, you should listen to the advice of others, but at the end of the day, you make the final decision. Take into account all the factors at play, make a decision and follow through with it. Being too passive and timid can be troublesome.

Eg155

HSC
You have to be assertive with this sort of thing. You are the person in charge of your HSC and you bear responsibility for it. Sure, you should listen to the advice of others, but at the end of the day, you make the final decision. Take into account all the factors at play, make a decision and follow through with it. Being too passive and timid can be troublesome.
true that.

It has to be fixed. I have a past of assertiveness that didn't end well so I tend to be too passive now.

deswa1

HSC
Which sub are you thinking of dropping out of curiosity? (if you don't mind telling)

Eg155

HSC
well, i want to drop bio... but i think it's just because i hate our current topic BOL.
Aside from pedigrees and sex linkage stuff it's practically a "how much do you remember?" subject.

Bobbo1

HSC
You're risking it with 10 units if you bomb out in one of your tests and 14 is a bit too many. So I would recommend 11-13, that was you have some sort of insurance in case something doesn't go your way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)