Universities battle royale (UNSW v USYD) (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Since you talk about choosing one uni over the other, everyone at usyd law chose to go to usyd law. There are also a handful of unsw law guns that transferred to usyd after first year. How many went from usyd law to unsw law (i.e. those that werent struggling)?

Also shadowdude you didnt answer my previous question - whats your WAM you math god?
"math god"

yeah right

I'm a decent mathematics student who compensates for my lack of actual skill with honest-to-god hard work

There's a reason I have 80 pages written for my thesis and everyone else has like 30-50

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
"math god"

yeah right

I'm a decent mathematics student who compensates for my lack of actual skill with honest-to-god hard work

There's a reason I have 80 pages written for my thesis and everyone else has like 30-50
I was being sarcastic with the 'math god' reference but fair enough. Thank you for your honesty.

OP, most active users on boredofstudies are from UNSW (seems to be a cycle). You'll get more diverse responses from Whirlpool (there are already threads on this I think).
Since I went to usyd, some pros I would say:
1. Fantastic Campus and location - was around 40 mins from my place (door to door) and during breaks you had decent on campus food courts + broadway at one end + newtown at the other.
2. Fantastic cohort - this was my favourite part. I met some of my best mates and some of the smartest people out there (I also have extremely smart mates from UNSW but they post here). Yes, the cohort is competitive - particularly law - so is the world. I thrive in healthy competition so it is something I like. Note that 'competition' here does not mean you're trying to trip others from achieving their goals (i.e. # of snakes are relatively low)
3. Fantastic tutors/lecturers (mostly) - I've had some of the best tutors (also had a few bad ones) who genuinely gave 110% in class. This was especially for finance - most of the tutors were recent graduates finishing off their 2nd degree who interned at the top investment banks so they not only knew their stuff very well (because they recently finished it + knew it was like to be in your shoes) but also had a lot of practical tips etc. to give.

Cons:
1.???? Maybe if it was 5 minutes from home that would be great.

pHyRe

HSC
I was being sarcastic with the 'math god' reference but fair enough. Thank you for your honesty.

OP, most active users on boredofstudies are from UNSW (seems to be a cycle). You'll get more diverse responses from Whirlpool (there are already threads on this I think).
Since I went to usyd, some pros I would say:
1. Fantastic Campus and location - was around 40 mins from my place (door to door) and during breaks you had decent on campus food courts + broadway at one end + newtown at the other.
2. Fantastic cohort - this was my favourite part. I met some of my best mates and some of the smartest people out there (I also have extremely smart mates from UNSW but they post here). Yes, the cohort is competitive - particularly law - so is the world. I thrive in healthy competition so it is something I like. Note that 'competition' here does not mean you're trying to trip others from achieving their goals (i.e. # of snakes are relatively low)
3. Fantastic tutors/lecturers (mostly) - I've had some of the best tutors (also had a few bad ones) who genuinely gave 110% in class. This was especially for finance - most of the tutors were recent graduates finishing off their 2nd degree who interned at the top investment banks so they not only knew their stuff very well (because they recently finished it + knew it was like to be in your shoes) but also had a lot of practical tips etc. to give.

Cons:
1.???? Maybe if it was 5 minutes from home that would be great.
pretty much this, know a fair few people from both unis and the cultures are vastly different

usyd and unsw also recently published detailed atar stats on all their degrees. should give you more insight into the atars than just the cutoffs since unsw gives away bonus points very easily. obviously just a reflection of supply and demand - i wouldn't pick a degree based on it. most people i know who did that regretted it - pick what you like with a slight bent towards employability (i.e. not fine arts and gender studies just cause its your passion)

pm me for more info if you want

Last edited:

The_Beast

HSC
N/A
You probably shoudnt go to usyd if you dont like gay people

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're white go to USyd
If you're Asian go to UNSW
If you're Arab go to UWS
If you're something else go to UTS

what would you recommend if you want to study medicine or like a medical science degree ... which ones better? UNSW or USYD?
MedSc = go somewhere with a good entry to medicine pathway (UNSW)
Medicine = UNSW is undergrad and USyd is postgrad so you can't really compare. My advice is to go wherever you get in, and wherever you can graduate the fastest. Unless you have a specific career-track in mind.
(UWS/UoN/UNE/Monash/Bond = 5 years)

But tbh, I know people who have gotten onto paediatric neurosurg training programs from UWS after getting like average marks and leaving school in Campbelltown with a ~95 UAI.
So really, just finish ASAP and build connections as you go. And make sure you're a good JMO and RMO for references.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)