• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Universities (1 Viewer)

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
wow i did not realise that getting into a medicine program is so hard.. u have truly enlightened me to that..
Please tell me, are you genuinely being enlightened, or providing a sarcastic means for discussion.

sparkie1108

HSC
s-AINT said:
Honestly, I don't think it matters to the employer. Think about the situation if you were the employer. Two students applied for the position, and they both had identical degrees. However, one had obtained their degree from Monash, and the other obtained their degree from UWS. The graduate from Monash scored a lower overall GPA then the student from UWS, and the student from UWS completed volunteer work at the local retirement village during their spare time. I'm not sure what you people are thinking, but the graduate from UWS is in my favor.
is deakin university really that bad?? is it known for being substandard? or is that just compared to uni of melb or monash?

and is ENTER the equivalent to a UAI? do they mean exactly the same thing?

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
Princesscait said:
If you looked at their website, I don't know why you didn't find this:

"Entry to the ANU Medical School is generally available to graduates only but school leavers with a UAI of 98 or greater may apply for provisional admission immediately after receiving their results (for further details see: http://medicalschool.anu.edu.au/admission/admission.asp)."

http://info.anu.edu.au/StudyAt/010PP_Undergraduate/_AOI_Medicine.asp
Provisional Admission for School Leavers
Although entry to the Medical School is only available to graduates, school leavers may apply for provisional admission. Application forms are available from the Medical School web site. Such students should expect to achieve a University Admission Index (UAI) or /ENTER/TER (or be in OP band 1) of 98 or higher, and must make themselves available for interview in the month immediately following release of UAI scores. Those interviewing satisfactorily will be offered provisional admission to the Medical School, provided they enrol in one of the single or combined Bachelor degree programs at the ANU. The chosen degree program must be completed within the minimum time required of an applicant undertaking full-time study. This will usually be 3 years for a Bachelors degree, 4 years for an Honours degree and 4 or 5 years for combined Bachelors degrees, depending on the degree combination. Provisional entry to Medical School will only be converted to offer of a place by achievement of a GAMSAT score and GPA as required for normal graduate entry (see 'Admission for Local Students'). There will be no necessity for a further interview.

How come you didn't see this? You still have to sit the GAMSAT. You still need to be interviewed. And you need to make the gpa cutoff.
Not like UQ's prov entry where as long as you make the gpa cut off, you're guaranteed a spot...

***Deakin isn't bad. It just doesn't have the name. And enter = uai.

Last edited:

carreau

HSC
Back in the day, employers might have been a little more bias to different universities. But with improvements in understanding from generation to generation it's probably safe to say that in these modern times, employers really don't pick someone based on where they graduated over someone else..

Here's an example..

My mate 18 years old, applies for a position at maquarie bank, something financial big money in the long run. He did general maths for the HSC and there's atleast ninety others applying for the position.

He won the position, based on his character. Now he's completing a part-time course at Maquarie University in economics to properly prepare him for his career which has now been set in stone.

He beat many others who were already qualified and had what appeared to be better credentials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)