University Admission Stats (1 Viewer)

jjHasm

HSC
Currently in a dilemma of wanting to diversify my preferences just to make sure I don't regret anything. I've been wanting to do comm/maths at UNSW for a while now. I got guaranteed entry into it (with bonus points), and it's my first preference. However my other 4 preferences are all business based degrees also, so I thought, since I already got GE into my first pref, might as well change the other 4 into things that also interest me. i.e. vision science or psychology

Here's my question, I'll use vision science as an example - If I go to the admission statistics for unsw, and check for vision science, it says the lowest rank accepted in 2017 was 92.4, despite the cut off being 95, and the 25th percentile atar was 93.15. Are these special cases included into the statistics? (like some elite athlete program scheme or dissability scheme) where its just a few one off cases. Or realistically did the university actually accept a good handful of people below the cut off (lets say 93-94 atar) soley based on their atar and no other form of admission like some portolio or access scheme?

The reason I ask is because I want to know if there is a good chance (not guaranteed ofc) that I would be offered vision science even though it's 2nd or 3rd pref and I don't meet cut off? Just for reference I got a 93.90 atar

D94

HSC
N/A
I'll use vision science as an example - If I go to the admission statistics for unsw, and check for vision science, it says the lowest rank accepted in 2017 was 92.4, despite the cut off being 95, and the 25th percentile atar was 93.15. Are these special cases included into the statistics? (like some elite athlete program scheme or dissability scheme) where its just a few one off cases. Or realistically did the university actually accept a good handful of people below the cut off (lets say 93-94 atar) soley based on their atar and no other form of admission like some portolio or access scheme?
Due to bonus points, EAS etc.

The reason I ask is because I want to know if there is a good chance (not guaranteed ofc) that I would be offered vision science even though it's 2nd or 3rd pref and I don't meet cut off? Just for reference I got a 93.90 atar
If you put your guaranteed offer first, you will get that offer and therefore you won't be considered for your other preferences. You pretty much ignore everything else unless you move those above your guaranteed offer. If you happen to be offered one of those ones, you will not be offered your guaranteed entry degree. Put what you want to do as your first preference.

jjHasm

HSC
Ok cheers man helped heaps, will do exactly this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)