University Applications/Entry Schemes Guide (1 Viewer)

Without Wings

Super Moderator
Dec 15, 2003

University Applications & Entry Schemes FAQ

How do I apply for University?
The most common way to apply for Year 12 students is through a tertiary admission centre. For NSW this is the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). The Universities Admissions Centre is the central office that receives and processes applications for admission to most undergraduate degree, advanced diploma, diploma and associate diploma courses at the participating institutions. UAC also processes applications for admission to a number of postgraduate courses at participating institutions.

Each state has their own tertiary admission centre. For Interstate admissions:
• Queensland: Applications are made through the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre Ltd (QTAC).
• South Australia: Applications are made through the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC)
• Northern Territory: Applications for Charles Darwin University are made through the: South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC)
• Tasmania: Tertiary Institutions Service Centre (TISC)
• Victoria: Applications are made through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC)
• Western Australia: Applications are made through the Tertiary Institutions Service Centre (TISC)

Can you apply to more than one tertiary admission centre?
Yes, you can.

UAC Application Process Information

When does the UAC Guide come out with information regarding applying to University in 2011?
The UAC 2011 Guide should be available in August 2009 for information about applying to university in 2011.

When will applications open?
Applications generally tend to open in August with on time applications usually closing 30 September (after this you have to pay a late fee as well as the application fee).

Briefly, how does the application process work?• You submit your UAC application (be aware there is a closing date for on-time applications, otherwise you are hit with a massive late fee).
• You can change your UAC preferences at any time now if you wish. This includes adding/removing and chaning the order of preferences.
• You receive your HSC Results and ATAR in December.
• You can still change your UAC preferences now up until the cutoff date in early January to be considered in the main round. If you change your preferences after this set date they won't be considered in the main round (this is when the majority of offers are made).
• Main round offers are made. The cutoffs for entrance into courses in the main round are also released. If you are eligible for one of your preferences you will receive an offer for this course (you receive an offer for the highest preference you are eligible for, so this may be your first preference or your second or your nineth. If you were not eligible for any of your preferences then you will not receive an offer. Note: You can only receive one offer in a round.
• If you did not receive an offer (or you have changed your mind and want to try applying for a different course) than you can change your preferences. Your new preferences will be considered in the Late Round. It is important to realise that institutions will make offers in the Late Round only if courses have vacancies after the Main Round. Also the cutoff for the Late Round may be different to the Main Round (for example it may increase or decrease). This depends on the number of places available after Main Round acceptances. This means just because you were below the cutoff in the Main Round for a course you won't necessarily gain an offer in the late round as there may not be vacancies or the cutoff may have changed.
• There is also a final round but only a small number of offers are made during this round.

When should I submit my application to UAC?
Basically if you know you want to apply then once UAC applications open it is best to do it sooner rather than later (i.e. before 30 September), remembering that you can always change your preferences later. This is because if you apply after 30 September (when on-time applications close) you will be hit with a substantial late fee. So if you are unsure of preferences when you apply just put in what you know, or something then make sure you change it by the cutoff date for change of preferences in early January to be considered in the main round.

How many preferences can I have?
You can have 9 preferences.

What is a preference?
A preference is a particular course at a particular university. For example a preference may be 'B. Commerce at Australian National University'.

Once I have submitted my application to UAC can I change my preferences? Does this cost me?
Yes you can change your preferences through Online Applicant Services. There are set dates that you must do this within to be considered in specific rounds though. There is no charge to change your preferences. You can add, delete, or change the order of your preferences as many times as you like during these set periods.

I've just found out I will be overseas in the Dec/Jan holidays and I didn't authorise anyone to act on my behalf for my UAC application. What can I do to authorise someone to act on my behalf?
Contact UAC, either by the online enquiry form or phone: (02) 9752 0200 and ask them and they should be able to explain to how you can go about doing this.

There are a range of scholarships on offer from various sources including Universities, UAC and community groups. Some scholarships are awarded automatically (for example for high marks) but a lot you have to apply for.

How do you find out about what scholarships are available?
• Research the scholarships that the universities you are interested in attending offer. This can be through checking out their website or contacting them to send you information.
• Ask your school careers advisor if they have any information.
• UAC also offers scholarships. You can find out information regarding their scholarships here.
• The Going to Uni Website has a list of the scholarships at Australian Universities.
• The My Future Website has a list of scholarships available across Australia, which you can search through by region, organisation or subject to give you an idea of the availability of scholarships.

Accommodation at University
If you are moving away from home to attend university it is likely you are going to need accommodation. There are a range of options including private rental and university accommodation.

University Accommodation
You can find out about University accommodation by contacting the university you are interested in attending. Most universities also have information on their website and can send you out brochures. Remember you have to apply for this accommodation so make sure you are aware of the process and the important dates, such as closing dates for applications. Don't forget the university section of the forum may be able to provide you with more information and student opinions.

Source: UAC

Without Wings

Super Moderator
Dec 15, 2003
**Work in progress - current information regarding schemes will be added in the coming weeks**

University Concessional/Alternate Entry Schemes

• The Universities are currently changing the details, dates and information regarding schemes. This thread is a guide only and does not necessarily contain the most accurate, up to date information. Please refer to the university for accurate information.
• These schemes do not change your actual ATAR. They just 'articially inflate' it when considering your entrance to that particular university. So, a lot of these schemes allow you to gain a place into a course that has a cutoff which is above your actual ATAR.
• If you know of a scheme that is not listed here please let us know of it and provide us a link with information we can include it in the guide, thanks.


Aug 15, 2008
hmm just wondering, say if I were to apply for certain courses at unis in queensland and victoria, so I would apply through QTAC and VTAC, as well as the UAC for NSW unis.

Does that mean that essentially I would be able to put down 27 preferences? lol
Or is it capped somehow, regardless. If its true, it would be a big help in deciding the uni to go to. =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)