• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

University Council & Academic Senate Elections (2 Viewers)

X

xeuyrawp

gnrlies said:
that greens guy is annoying.

I neither know him or have ever spoken to him, but anyone who is that extremely left (well im basing this on the badges, and greens shirt that he always wears) is always out of touch. Same goes for anyone who is extremely right.
I'd say that anyone who brands themselves as Left or Right without giving any real thought to it is out of touch.

cpjeeves said:
Tim's a nice guy, I don't know him well but the times I've spoken to him he's always been friendly. He's worked hard to improve stuff for students.
Again, there's an issue of substantive results...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
How many votes do they approxiamtely get when they win?

I could get a handful...maybe I should be up there too. :rolleyes:

Phanatic

HSC
Tim did a good job as Senate rep in 2004. He was the one that made iLectures available in mp3 format. Originally they were only available as Real Media files or something irritating, and he spoke up and said that most students use mp3s.

See the thing is, the Academic Senate is not a political body in the sense that MUSC is or even, heaven forbid, SAM. Your stance on VSU, for example, has absolutely no bearing on your duties as a Senator.

Similarly, asking for tangible results is a bit silly for something like the Senate.
It's just not that kind of body. People that promise you cheaper parking, or
better food, while running for Academic Senate have no clue at best, or are just using cheap tricks to steal your votes.

Even for people to promise you "better marking guidelines" or "fairer appeals procedures" are essentially full of crap. Sure I guess it's the jurisdiction of the Senate, but it's not something you can just walk in and do. The appeals process is an incredibly complex procedure with quite a few safeguards for both students and the University itself. It is the result of years worth of practice and ammendment.

Really, fighting for platforms is not the role of a student rep on the Senate. Our job is to provide feedback, and give the student perspective on issues, like Tim did with the iLecture downloads. If you're running for Senate and you're not prepared to speak up at every session, then you're wasting a seat and valuable feedback for the Uni.

If you would like some more information about the Senate and what it does, check out http://www.clubmac.net.au/articles/academic/senate2006.php

I was undergrad senate rep last year, and am running for postgrad rep this year (so I don't think you guys can vote for me anyway), and sort of made it my crusade to clear up the confusion and misinformation that surrounds senate. That's why I wrote those pages on Club Mac. If you have questions about it, I'd be happy to answer.

Cheers,
Phil

P.S. I think with preferences it was about 600 votes to get on.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
redruM said:
How many votes do they approxiamtely get when they win?

I could get a handful...maybe I should be up there too. :rolleyes:
you sure you wanna go up against me?

seriously how do you get an application form?

also which person was on bos in the e4a (new building) comp labs... caught out bitches

gnrlies

HSC
PwarYuex said:
I'd say that anyone who brands themselves as Left or Right without giving any real thought to it is out of touch.

Again, there's an issue of substantive results...
I dont follow what your point is, but I was making a judgement that he is left.

philly17

Did everyone get their ballot.?? I'm on the back page down the bottom. Vote 1 Philomena Smith for academic senate I'm not radically left or right....

sweetish

HSC
haha just got it today, i was wondering where id seen philomena b4 ^^

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
yeah i got it today. i know the guy with the trenchcoat, ive seen him a few times and he has spoken to me (i think its Tim). i have the paper about 30 cm away from mydesk but i cant be arsed reaching for it to find out his name.

I'll vote for the person who can cure my flu-like symptoms before my exam tommorrow. Any takers?

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
yeh i got my ballot today,
the trenchcoat person is a nice person he randomly talked to my friend one time.

X

xeuyrawp

Philomena_86 said:
Did everyone get their ballot.?? I'm on the back page down the bottom. Vote 1 Philomena Smith for academic senate I'm not radically left or right....
omg, are you serious? >_<

First rule of life: stand up for what you believe in. You should just accept that you can't target all the people. In fact, targeting a wide group is probably less effective than targeting a small group. That being said, you should stand up for your own Right-wing beliefs - people will respect you more.

*hopeful*

HSC
Philomena_86 said:

i got mine 2day as well....i got the same earrings as u lol

philly17

By the way rob I was true in saying I am not radically left or right! I am a catholic if thats what u mean that I should advertise that i'm a practising catholic? I didnt see the relevance in saying that.

Phanatic

HSC
Evenin' all,

Senate and Council time. I am running once again for the Academic Senate.

Philomena, I read your statement with interest. There are a number of claims there that I recognise from every other year I've been here.

Women's issues. This one has got me most interested. How do you feel women are disadvantaged by the current Senate practices? The Senate is equally represented by both sexes; lots of the heads of departments (especially law) and the elected reps are in fact women. To run on a platform of "vote for me because I'm a woman" is tacky, to say the least.

Further, why would there be a need in academic practice to distinguish special policies and procedures for women? There are more female than male students enrolled at Macquarie, and if memory serves me correctly, they actually have a higher GPA as a collective. Does this sound like a minority group that is being misrepresented and unfairly treated?

There are other significant areas in society that women are disadvantaged in; education is generally not one of them.

Besides, if you think that there should be more women in elected positions simply to 'balance it out', read Emma Tom's article "You've gotta have balls to be a sheila in politics" from The Australian. It nicely surmises:

The real reason women should have equal access to the top jobs is not because they'd do things differently or better but because excluding them is irrational and sexist. Once again, men who think otherwise should spend a moment imagining the frustrations of life under tit-talitarianism. Credentials rather than genitals need to be the defining characteristics of our leaders. Anything else is dick-tatorship.
More study spaces. Are you serious? That is one of the cheapest tricks to claim that you'll fight for more spaces. People have been offering that in their election promises for years.

Well guess what: you're too late. The entire University administration already knows about the nightmare students face around exam time, trying to get a study spot. There are already plans underway to build a new library.

You know what else? That decision had nothing to do with student politicians offering to 'build more study spaces'. It's a cheap, nasty trick that's designed to lull the uncritical and get easy votes. Quite frankly, it disgusts me, and I'm sick of these ridiculous election promises fooling students into voting.

So to everyone else, who should you vote for?

Well, me.

And not because you know me, not because I'm your mate, or because I've offered you more parking. It's because I'll be better at it.

I was on Senate last year. When I ran, I ran on the premise that I wanted to remove the shroud of secrecy that surrounded it. I wanted students to know what Academic Senate was. So I wrote reports. In the mean time, I started up a new student organisation with some mates, Club Mac. You can see my reports at http://www.clubmac.net.au/articles/academic/senate2006.php

When these elections rolled around, I actually tried to get the information brochure on Senate sent out to all students with the ballot paper. That way, people would know what Senate did, and hopefully not fall for the cheap gimmicks that are usually thrown their way. Unfortunately, University Regulations forbade it (my next campaign!), so instead I offer it at Club Mac: http://www.clubmac.net.au/articles/academic/whatissenate.php

What are my academic qualifications?

Well, I've just finished a BMedia in Screen Production, a BMedia (Hons), and am now starting my PhD in Media & Communications. I tutor MAS104 - Australian Media. I'm serious about my academic work.

If I can't convince you to vote for me, or someone that you think will actually do a good job, then that's a real shame.

But honest to goodness, if you vote for someone because they're a friend of a friend, or because they've promised you fool's gold, then you deserve who you get.

Cheers,
Phil

X

xeuyrawp

Phil, I have one question for you: what are your non-core election promises?

X

xeuyrawp

Phanatic said:
I'm sorry, all I head was "blah blah blah free beer"!
I demand more places to park my car, my ass, and my gay rights!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)