University fee payment... (1 Viewer)

Delirium

HSC
Like everybody, I know about the HECS-HELP payment scheme. But I'm a little confused, I haven't quite comprehended completely or properly what people have been telling me or what I have read on the information website.

To put it bluntly (without going into further details about my stupidity in understanding this matter): when going to university, do you have to pay anything at all (excluding costs of books, and other supplies) until you finish and get a job which earns over the respective threshold? Does this rule apply no matter which university you go to, and no matter which course you study?

The thing is, I thought that this "student contribution" thing was something which must be paid by everybody upfront, and the rest is paid off later (this "rest" I thought was the actual loan given to you) - but recently I have come to realise that this is false.

I'd appreciate it if somebody could end my confusion. Thanks.

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You used to have to pay for union etc fees, but with VSU, that is no longer compulsory.

You don't need to pay any uni fees if you defer them.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
If you are an Australian citizen in a CSP place, you have the option of deferring the entirety of your student contributions, you then start paying this back when your income rises over a certain threshold. Which just leaves costs such as travel, textbooks, stationary etc. in your hands.

If you are a permanent resident then I believe you may qualify for a CSP place but must pay the student contributions up front.

Delirium

HSC
Ah okay, thanks for that. I am an Australian citizen, so I guess I do qualify.

Are the amount of government-supported places limited? Is there a difficulty involved in obtaining this loan? (Do you need to score marks over a certain threshold?)

Also, out of curiosity, what are these "union fees"?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Delirium said:
Ah okay, thanks for that. I am an Australian citizen, so I guess I do qualify.

Are the amount of government-supported places limited? Is there a difficulty involved in obtaining this loan? (Do you need to score marks over a certain threshold?)

Also, out of curiosity, what are these "union fees"?
The government supported places are limited, which is why you must reach a certain UAI cut-off to be considered eligible for that placing. It should also be noted that there are certain courses that do not have government support whatsoever (mainly at private colleges) but which still allow you to take a loan out with the government (ie FEE places).

And the union fees are essentially fees for student groups on campus which were compulsory but as of this semester have become voluntary for all commencing students.

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
As discussed above, provided you are eligible for HECS-HELP (which you appear to be) as long as you can get into a CSP supported uni course (ie. usually by means of entry via your UAI...well in NSW at least) then you will get the HECS-HELP loan automatically. It's not really a loan itself, in that you don't actually get the money. You just defer the course fees that you owe the uni to the tax office (while the government pays for it) and then you pay it back after your income reaches a certain level or you can make voluntary payments.

Delirium

HSC
Around what mark is the UAI cutoff for HECS-HELP eligibility usually situated? 80.00? Higher? Is there even a general cutoff point? The two posters above seem to have contradicted each other slightly: so, are the places limited or not? The second poster implies that they aren't, and you are guaranteed the loan if you score enough to enter a supported course. Whereas the first poster implies there is a general cutoff point which you must meet. Please clarify...

Also, why isn't the loan provided for all courses? Or is it provided for most, with the exception of some wild out-there course where there are few employment opportunities with its qualifications?

These student unions, what use are they? Are they in any way related conceptually to trade unions?

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Delirium said:
Around what mark is the UAI cutoff for HECS-HELP eligibility usually situated? 80.00? Higher? Is there even a general cutoff point? The two posters above seem to have contradicted each other slightly: so, are the places limited or not? The second poster implies that they aren't, and you are guaranteed the loan if you score enough to enter a supported course. Whereas the first poster implies there is a general cutoff point which you must meet. Please clarify...

Also, why isn't the loan provided for all courses? Or is it provided for most, with the exception of some wild out-there course where there are few employment opportunities with its qualifications?

These student unions, what use are they? Are they in any way related conceptually to trade unions?
Commonwealth Supported Place: The government covers the majority of educational fees but the student still makes a contribution.

Fee Paying Place:
The university or college charges you with the full cost of each subject. A courses status as fee-paying does not reflect on its usefulness.

Cut-offs: The majority of courses will have a UAI cut-off associated because they only have a limited amounts of places to offer. This cut-off is always the lowest UAI out of the succesful applicants of that course for that year. Fee places will almost invariably have lower cut-offs than Commonwealth ones.

Government Loans: The majority of courses, regardless of your UAI, are eligible for the loan as long as you are (australian citizenship). This includes not only commonwealth supported places but also fee paying places. Loans are also available for overseas studies. These loans must be repaid once your income rises to a certain threshold.

The student unions are groups that organise and fund events, services and certain facilities for the student body as well as advocating for them - the extent to which you may experience these aspects will vary.

Delirium

HSC
Thank you very much, everybody. You all have been very helpful in explaining this matter to me. :)

w2dot

HSC
And if you don't get a CSP place, you can always go for a full-fee place. I believe you can now borrow up to $80,000 in total (from 2007 onwards) but correct me if I'm wrong

HSC
So, you are saying, that, by applying for a CSP place, as seen in the UAC guide (lol forgive me but I want to be positive) we are automatically given a HECS loan, and don't have to pay anything in the way of uni fees?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
ElendilPeredhil said:
So, you are saying, that, by applying for a CSP place, as seen in the UAC guide (lol forgive me but I want to be positive) we are automatically given a HECS loan, and don't have to pay anything in the way of uni fees?
So long as you are an Australian citizen then in most courses thats pretty much the deal - you can also get the loan if you are in a FEE place and barring the most expensive courses the loan will probably be able to cover your course fees in that situation as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)