University Grades Calculation (1 Viewer)

Silent1

HSC
Can someone tell me how the University calculates our scores. Because I want to try to transfer if i don't get into medicine, I'm going to do science. Melb. Uni says we have to get a 80% avg. minimum in our degree to be able to transfer. Does this mean above 80% in every test/exam/assignment or is it calculated differently?

Also, if i was to take full fee and hope for a transfer, the uni says: Students who achieve a cumulative H2A (75%) average across the equivalent of not less than one hundred points* in the course in which they are enrolled are entitled to transfer to a Commonwealth supported place;

What does "a cumulative H2A (75%) average across the equivalent of not less than one hundred points*" mean?

Iceman145

Unimelb
HSC
80% min. average means that the average of your final results at the end of each semester must be equal or greater than 80%. lol, kinda self explanatory.

As for how uni results are calculated, it's kinda like year 12 internal assessment. you might have a 20% test, 15% labs, 65% exam. or something. And your final result is what you get. Dunno if there's any scaling, but if there is it's very minimal. undetectable.

100 points just means a full-time year of uni (8 normal subjects, 4 a semester). So, you have to average 75% over these 8 subjects. And you have to do at least 8 subjects to get the 100 points.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
At Melbourne scaling isn't something that happens, in general. What that means is that scaling doesn't take place unless the lecturer decides to implement it. I've heard from other people that scaling does take place in some maths subjects, and it's quite noticeable in the middle range (ie. raw marks of between 40-60). However when you get raw scores above 80 you probably won't notice it at all.

Last edited:

aussiechica7

HSC
hey,
u realise that there r 5 places available if u have a tertiary record?
and u r advised 2 get over 99 uai + min 80 at uni + good umat to get in?
u have more chance finishing a b sc. or something and doing post grad med. at melb its only 4.5 yrs.

also, if u have any tertiary record whatsoever, u r not eligible for monash med. keep that in mind. u could do a gap yr instead.

unimelbdental

HSC
N/A
Do a undergrad degree in Science first. Melb uni is moving all its med places to Postgrad only for the Melb model (Although they get until 2018 to make such transition). So screw the people who topped the VCE/HSC. with melb uni in the future, only the tertiary mark counts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)