• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

University Overseas (1 Viewer)

hoyts

HSC
N/A
How does it work if you want to study overseas, is it just a matter of fee's? or do you need a UAI etc.

Thanks

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Im going to the USA for uni.
I'll be on an athletics scholorship, but i assume its the same basic principles.

In the USA, you need SAT's at least, + ACT is also good to do.

American uni's don't have a hecs like system, so you have to pay basically upfront, some colleges like harvard ect can be like 40 000 a year.

EDIT: Harvard is $41,675 wtf.
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=506710

hoyts

HSC
N/A
I see...

So if you achieve below average on the UAI you can say goodbye to getting into uni overseas.

I was interested in going to UNI in the states as well.

My sights are set on Berkeley.. or something a bit less intense then Harvard. lol

England is another option but i doubt it would be any different to Aus..

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
hoyts said:
I see...

So if you achieve below average on the UAI you can say goodbye to getting into uni overseas.

My sights are set on Berkeley.. or something a bit less intense then Harvard. lol

no the exact opposite... if you achieve like an average UAI...but i high SAT, you will get in.

Its just so expensive unless you get a scholorship.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Bear in mind its quite hard to get into UC as an out of stater/international. I guess you could always pick Irvine or some less popular college.

Ezzdawg

HSC
Yeah or the ghetto like UC Riverside...lol

That's bcuz UC is state owned...if you want go to the private ones like USC which is also good but it is expensive..around the 50's(000)

Although if ur out of stater/international you're still paying around the same at the public ones anyway

arjungamer123

HSC
I see...

Berkeley, if anyting, is more intense than Harvard. Harvard is full of snooty rich kids wasting daddy's money. Berkeley is full of future software billionaires.

See the thing about American admissions systems are that they are very very subjective.

They basically look at a few common factors:

Grades.
Standardised Testing(SATs)
Extra Curriculars( VERY VERY IMPORTANT)
Interview and/or Essay
and sad to say
Ethnicity/Minority.

So Risole, you seem to be wrong. If you wanted to get into Harvard/Stanford/Yale etc, you would need to have a good portfolio with the preceding factors, not just a good UAI, or in your case, avg. UAI and good SATs.

Also, if they find that you have cookie-cutter Extra curriculars, they kinda look down on you.
College Discussion

Good website if you want to see the sort of competition internationals face.

HSC
i really really really wana go to MIT or berkeley. otherwise stanford or cornell.

i am a "future software billionaire" hahahhaa (i wish)

uni fees for overseas students are a rip off... *sigh*

HSC
Berkeley, if anyting, is more intense than Harvard. Harvard is full of snooty rich kids wasting daddy's money. Berkeley is full of future software billionaires.

See the thing about American admissions systems are that they are very very subjective.

They basically look at a few common factors:

Grades.
Standardised Testing(SATs)
Extra Curriculars( VERY VERY IMPORTANT)
Interview and/or Essay
and sad to say
Ethnicity/Minority.

So Risole, you seem to be wrong. If you wanted to get into Harvard/Stanford/Yale etc, you would need to have a good portfolio with the preceding factors, not just a good UAI, or in your case, avg. UAI and good SATs.

Also, if they find that you have cookie-cutter Extra curriculars, they kinda look down on you.
College Discussion

Good website if you want to see the sort of competition internationals face.
Just wondering does that apply to international students - particularly from a western country?

MissMadiD

HSC
Something you guys might be interested in is Student Placement Australia it gives scholarships to students and I think it helps with board and other living costs as well, but Im not 100% sure since I havnt been to one of the information sessions yet.

I want to study in the US but I'm not so sure about the money side of it, plus my parents dont want me going =(

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)