University Prerequisites (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Hello,

I am currently am in year 9. I have accelerated to year 10 adv math (its quite sad really how all the year 10's in my class are finding it hard but it is so easy that i laugh in class!) but seriously, im learning year 11 adv math and begining to learn math ext 1.

I am quite, i dont know, worried, confused? I dont know how to express it, but what it is is will i be accepted to university to just do math without a uai and only my HSC math score (that i will get)?

See i intend to accelerate again to year 12 math when the year 11 start year 12 in term 4.

So when i finnish year 12 math i will be doing my school certificate.

Can i get into uni with out a uai or even started year 11 to do mathematics?

If i can get into uni with just my mathematics, would i have to do year 11 and 12?

Which is the best university for mathematics out of USyd or UNSW?

I really would like to know asap!...Thanks everyone

juggernaut

HSC
obviously someone who only has School Certificate isnt eligible for University entrance. University entrance requires not only completion of your HSC (definition of hsc = 10 units minimum completed), but a minimum uai of 70.

Your scores in HSC Mathematics are completely irrelevant in determining your selection into uni.
For eg, say the UAI cutoff for maths in USYD is 85.. you get 98 final mark for HSC mathematics, but in other subjects you get roughly 60-70, your uai ends up being only 75. Your not getting in just because you scored 98 for maths.

Point im trying to make ,the only thing that matters in the end is your UAI from 10 (or more) units.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Why do ya need a UAI? If im going to get a degree in advanced mathematics, then whats the point in doing year 12 history? Does this mean i have to sit in a boring classes in boring subjects for 2 years after ive done my HSC mathematics because i dont have a uai? This is an outrage!

What then, can i do?

blakegman

HSC
N/A
You have to finish year 12 and get a uai. How can you not know this ?

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I know you have to get a uai and stuff! but isnt there some kind of special loop hole for people who have accelerated! i mean, come ON! People who accelerate must like what they accelerate in and be really good at it, why do they have to be held back for 1 or 2 years when they can just go to uni and do great things! I mean, okay, if it was a subject that some one accelerated into like japanese or sewing or something then one wouldnt jump to uni, but if it was one of the "main" subjects like maths and english then whats it matter!!!

edit:
You need HSC English for pretty much every concievable course
Im fluent at english, and besides, how much english do you need to know, i mean, there not going to be making ya do uni english in a calculus course. And you learn to write esays etc in Year 7-10

Also, what if i did uni maths and year 11-12 at tafe???

edit 2
Oh and besides, you can get into uni other ways (Mature entry etc)
Mature entry!!!

You have to be like 21 or something, im 15!!! Id be better of waiting to get a uai!

Last edited:

jannny

HSC
you dont have to do history for ur hsc. You get to pick wat subjects you wanna do. wat you can do now, is plan carefully ur subjects that u will take into ur hsc year, Do well and hopefully you get the UAI that is needed for a mathematics degree.

lol you're only in year 9, you're very very ahead of ur cohort. Also I suggest dont stress too much atm you will know all about this sooner or later, and also enjoy life, watever that is.

Oh god, I miss being a kid.

shona1990

HSC
kurt.physics said:
Why do ya need a UAI? If im going to get a degree in advanced mathematics, then whats the point in doing year 12 history?
Suggested subjects:
4U math
English
Phys
Chem
TOTAL = 10U. Aside from english, they're all pretty mathsy. You don't need to do history or art to get your hsc, so just enjoy the bludge time you have! :p

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Guess it wasnt a troll after all. Your 15 but, why are u worrying about this, you should be out playing pokemans or something.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I know you dont have to do history, i was just doing it as an example. I very much intend to not do history or art

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Guess it wasnt a troll after all. Your 15 but, why are u worrying about this, you should be out playing pokemans or something.
If you mean pokemon, i am not 10 anymore!!!

I guess i could say maths is my passion, such that an artists passion is to make art or a writter passion is to write. And i dont want to just through aside my passion to sit in a class and learn about something that i find boring (regardless of its significance in the world). I could satify my passion by getting the uni text books and learning them but i would miss out on all the fun of walking around the uni and going to lectures and stuff, and also, one may peer into the crystal ball and think, if i do the uni math while at high school, what happens when i get into unversity???

And if i dont do the uni math for 2 years i will definively lose intrest by not satifying my interest and then what???
What im trying to say is, why must we be evaluated by our UAI, if im good at math and going to get a degree in math, then why do all the other stuff???

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
There's a 14 year old (now 15) at unsw who got in through some early entry scheme, he didn't do HSC english and still got in...so it's definitely possible.

Evilo

HSC
kurt.physics said:
If i can get into uni with just my mathematics, would i have to do year 11 and 12?

I really would like to know asap!...Thanks everyone
to get into uni you have to have a UAI (so at least 10 units including english).
If you do hsc maths in year 10 (i did the same thing except with SDD) - the units will count towards you uai, but you won't receieve one until you have done 10 units.

jannny

HSC
kurt.physics said:
What im trying to say is, why must we be evaluated by our UAI, if im good at math and going to get a degree in math, then why do all the other stuff???
Because we have this thing called rules.. just like the rule that you should stop the car when there is a red light. And in this case, before u get into uni u have to have done the hsc for a start.

But i dont know how some really young kids get into university in other countries just like in the news ages ago where a young kid (not really sure wat age) got into uni.

Try ringing the university and tell them " Hey I am 15 years old and I like maths and I'm pretty good at it. Can you accept me into the university "

see wat their reply will be. lol

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the info!

There's a 14 year old (now 15) at unsw who got in through some early entry scheme, he didn't do HSC english and still got in...so it's definitely possible.
Thats reasuring, really reasuring, as i intend to go to the UNSW or USyD

I guess the best thing would be to push and nag and poke and prod untill i get my way, kinda like a little kid lol!

P.S. Do ya know what that kid studies at the UNSW?

diamond*dreams*

d[-_-]b . . <3 music
HSC
chucknthem said:
I think it could be possible.

I've heard of a kid [then ~13 years old] doing maths at Adelaide University. I think he organised something with his school so he could do uni and high school.

And if what chucknthem said it true; it could be possible for people who are extremely talented of gifted in the NSW/HSC system to do it.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
He said that the only thing he was allowed to study under that scheme is either science(where you can major in math if you wanted to) and arts. He's brother will be at uni at around the same age too.

I don't think he visits this forum, but I'll see if I can get him to make a post when he comes on msn

diamond*dreams*

d[-_-]b . . <3 music
HSC
kurt.physics said:
Thanks for the info!

Thats reasuring, really reasuring, as i intend to go to the UNSW or USyD

I guess the best thing would be to push and nag and poke and prod untill i get my way, kinda like a little kid lol!

P.S. Do ya know what that kid studies at the UNSW?
Hahahaha, how about you work hard and prove your talents first, and then go around "poking and nagging" people ;):read:

:cool:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
chucknthem said:
He said that the only thing he was allowed to study under that scheme is either science(where you can major in math if you wanted to) and arts. He's brother will be at uni at around the same age too.

I don't think he visits this forum, but I'll see if I can get him to make a post when he comes on msn
?????????????????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)