University Restructure. (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

I was at the Committee for Teaching and Learning today, and I learned that, for about the past semester, the university has been investigating whether a restructure is needed.

I've got the official notice here, but it is of course really vague and generally unhelpful.

Apparently the main issue is reduction of divisions and possibly departments as to cut down on admin costs. The main method looks to be combining departments and divisions.

Has anyone else heard about it, have any more information, or thoughts?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its been on the cards for a while, interesting to see which departments get 'culled'.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Its been on the cards for a while, interesting to see which departments get 'culled'.
I didn't know til today. :(

I'm not sure about cullings of departments. The way it seemed was that the admin itself would be culled by departments being merged. Eg, if HUM and SCMP was merged, one of the divisional heads would be cut.

Hopefully it'll be a good thing.

HSC
N/A
Humanities and SCMP have always been more or less 'merged' in my mind anyway, simply because we share the same place to hand in/pick up assessments ;)

On that note the humanities 'people' I know seem to know a lot more about their students, and the scmp 'people' I know (Guy Morrow, Mark Evans, not that I'm sure they're heads or anything though) seem pretty damn laid back (in a "it's cool, but I worry sometimes"), so maybe a merge between the two might be good :)

X

xeuyrawp

glitterfairy said:
Humanities and SCMP have always been more or less 'merged' in my mind anyway, simply because we share the same place to hand in/pick up assessments ;)

On that note the humanities 'people' I know seem to know a lot more about their students, and the scmp 'people' I know (Guy Morrow, Mark Evans, not that I'm sure they're heads or anything though) seem pretty damn laid back (in a "it's cool, but I worry sometimes"), so maybe a merge between the two might be good :)
Well they used to be merged not long ago -- School of History, Philosophy, and Politics, I think it was called.

HSC
N/A
I don't mind a "re-merge", but I'll have to insist they have a different name for the new department :p

X

xeuyrawp

glitterfairy said:
I don't mind a "re-merge", but I'll have to insist they have a different name for the new department :p
'Department'>'Faculty'
'Division'>'School', apparently.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Doesn't bother me, I'll be long gone before anything happens

^___^
HSC
cant really shrink science anymore
i mean, ics consist of maths, elec and comp

then you have bio and chem "together" along with geo science

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
The psych dept have been quite vocal about it all, with the Dean of Division even using it as an example in an Org Psych lecture the other day. I'm not sure who they would merge Psych with; they are already joined with Ling...

I wonder if the law faculty will merge, or whether they will keep the "we are too cool" attitude ;)

Asy, when do you graduate? Because this is to be implemented in Jan 2008...

HSC
N/A
Law's way too cool to merge. Even if there isn't a single straight Law degree at mq ;)

And I think Mike graduates after this year?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
The psych dept have been quite vocal about it all, with the Dean of Division even using it as an example in an Org Psych lecture the other day. I'm not sure who they would merge Psych with; they are already joined with Ling...

I wonder if the law faculty will merge, or whether they will keep the "we are too cool" attitude ;)

Asy, when do you graduate? Because this is to be implemented in Jan 2008...
Yep, lynn is right, I'm gone after this year :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
psych is already merged with another division. but hey, that means that the other division must also be a special class of humans.

edit: has anyone ever thought maybe they haven't really experienced uni until they've suffered? and what's the point of leaving uni until you've experienced it, right? :( :(
anyone who does not agree with the above statement, even if they do just to make iab content :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)