Unseen help (1 Viewer)

notme123

HSC
How many pieces of evidence should we have for each question? I've been told one for each mark but I feel that's a bit too constrictive and doesn't allow deeper analysis.

may22

HSC
I think 1 per mark is reasonable, especially if you link back and have a sustained flow of all the ideas. To be fair, you don't want to waste time going into a very in-depth analysis for a 3 marker, when there's a 5 or 6 marker waiting for you, where your analysis needs to be much deeper.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
How many pieces of evidence should we have for each question? I've been told one for each mark but I feel that's a bit too constrictive and doesn't allow deeper analysis.
I've been told to do one minus the marks of the question. So a 5 marker would need 4 pieces of evidence (techniques). The final mark is awarded for how well you've answered the q.

Note: You can do more if you have time. As they always say quality vs quantity.

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
One per mark is the standard that most teachers say. It doesn't mean you have to only do 1 per mark, this is the recommendation based on you have to space out your exam time accordingly. If you have more time and can think of more things you might as well write them in. I remember in my english HSC I wrote more than 1 per mark so you can do that if you want and are confident with it

Hiheyhello

HSC
One per mark is the standard that most teachers say. It doesn't mean you have to only do 1 per mark, this is the recommendation based on you have to space out your exam time accordingly. If you have more time and can think of more things you might as well write them in. I remember in my english HSC I wrote more than 1 per mark so you can do that if you want and are confident with it
woah, that’s so good
how much did you elaborate for each piece of evidence?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
woah, that’s so good
how much did you elaborate for each piece of evidence?
I don't remember exactly because I did HSC around 5 years ago. The way I answered questions was a little different, I would take multiple techniques on small quotes to show a theme or concept, so I had multiple evidence or quotes for each thing.

Hiheyhello

HSC
okay, because this thread exists i need to clarify something because i’m really second guessing everything rn

what exactly does “evidence” refer to?
my understanding is that evidence refers to cold hard quotes.

or….

has my life been a lie and do techniques also count as evidence??

just asking this coz jazz said “evidence or quotes”, which suggests that they’re not interchangeable

notme123

HSC
okay, because this thread exists i need to clarify something because i’m really second guessing everything rn

or….

just asking this coz jazz said “evidence or quotes”, which suggests that they’re not interchangeable
evidence could also be certain features of an image that evokes a human experience. I dont consider techniques as distinct peices of evidence, e.g. one quote with one tech is the same as one quote with two

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad

or….

A piece of evidence is a quote + technique. No point having a quote with no analysis to back up your argument.

may22

HSC
A piece of evidence is a quote + technique. No point having a quote with no analysis to back up your argument.
For visual texts, though, you’d obviously refer to the aspect you are talking about. E.g. you wouldn’t say ‘vectors are used to indicate....’. You would instead say ‘Vectors are used in (whichever part of the image) to indicate...’
It’s just a small thing, but it can cost you marks.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
For visual texts, though, you’d obviously refer to the aspect you are talking about. E.g. you wouldn’t say ‘vectors are used to indicate....’. You would instead say ‘Vectors are used in (whichever part of the image) to indicate...’
It’s just a small thing, but it can cost you marks.
Visual poster analyses are kind of the same as an essay. Visual technique + Aspect of the q it targets. Ofc for both essays and visual posters you must link back to the question. This part is always definitive.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad

or….

I didn't mean it in that sense. I was just saying generally I used either multiple quotes or a combination of quotes and a different form of evidence in analysing the texts. When you analyse a text there a variety of things you might use to support your argument. The obvious one is quotes for written texts and visual techniques for pictures. However, you can also use other aspects as evidence to support your arguments such as the form of the text. Texts such as poems sometimes have a certain format which the author has purposefully chosen, which if you understand how to discuss you can also talk about that.

Wizjaro

HSC
Yep Evidence counts as Quotes + techniques because you use the two of them as "evidence" to prove your point. Quotes by themselves aren't good enough, you need to analyse them in relation to what you're arguing.

Hiheyhello

HSC
coolio, i’m glad it’s as i originally thought

my goal is definitely to speed up with short answer responses so that i can include more evidence!

A1La5

HSC
Apologies for hijacking the original thread, but how are we all preparing for the unseen section? I'm unsure on how to prepare for it, though at the moment I'm making a list of techniques to space out and learn to then later use in an actual response.

Hiheyhello

HSC
Apologies for hijacking the original thread, but how are we all preparing for the unseen section? I'm unsure on how to prepare for it, though at the moment I'm making a list of techniques to space out and learn to then later use in an actual response.
what i’m going to try and do is practice a little bit every day

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)