UNSW Accommadation 2010 for 2nd Session (1 Viewer)

AndrewCase1337

HSC
Hey I've read through the websites on the UNSW accommadation site but you never know if they are ever fully up-to-date.

Basically just wanna know a couple things:

Its week 9 now, if I apply when 1st session ends will I have a chance in getting in somewhere in one of the colleges?

Can you bring your computer/monitor and connect to internet in your room, how fast is the internet?

My reasons for wanting to board for next sem is I just wanna get rid of the 3 hour (total) commute I have where I live out west, near around Baulkham Hills. Plus I also find it distracting to work at home since I live in a house of 8, and I feel if I had my own room with a table and desk for once to work on, I would be alot more prepared and finally work to my full potential.

I went through the whole HSC working on my kitchen table with always at least 1 person around me lol.

I also have like 25 contact hours (mech engineering, 5 days a week) and waking up really early for 1 - 1.5 hours of travel would be a great weight off my shoulders :)

So whats the whole living on campus thing like, is it really rewarding?

Thanks for reading

henry08

HSC
N/A
I don't think most (if not all) of the colleges will take students starting second semester and certainly not this late, if you want to get into the colelges on campus you have to apply months in advance. Do not wait until session ends, apply as early as possible, i.e. now for any chance at all.

Of course you can bring a computer/your own electronics etc. The internet depends upon where you are. New College has good unlimited internet for a reasonable price, Goldstein people mostly use Uniwide, UNSW Village internet is pretty dodgy and the company which provides it charges way too much for what you get.

You could probably get into UNSW Village for second session (you'd have to sign a 6 motnh contract till the end of the year) even thoguh they claim they are full, theres still rooms available.

Living on campus is not different to living anywhere else really, just less travelling and its easier to go to class etc. Its not as sweet as you might think as living out of home means you have to shop for yourself, cook for yourself, clean for yourself, do everything etc that you may not have had to do previously, so there are advantages and disadvantages.

Thecorey0

HSC
In hindsight, choosing to live on campus was one of the best choices I made. Instantly you are really good friends with 80-250 people. Often they do the same degree as you, and hence help is readily available from fellow first yearers, or older people. The social life is pretty awesome as well, particularly at the kensington colleges, but Warrane and New are still quite good.

HSC
Hey I've read through the websites on the UNSW accommadation site but you never know if they are ever fully up-to-date.

Basically just wanna know a couple things:

Its week 9 now, if I apply when 1st session ends will I have a chance in getting in somewhere in one of the colleges?

Can you bring your computer/monitor and connect to internet in your room, how fast is the internet?

My reasons for wanting to board for next sem is I just wanna get rid of the 3 hour (total) commute I have where I live out west, near around Baulkham Hills. Plus I also find it distracting to work at home since I live in a house of 8, and I feel if I had my own room with a table and desk for once to work on, I would be alot more prepared and finally work to my full potential.

I went through the whole HSC working on my kitchen table with always at least 1 person around me lol.

I also have like 25 contact hours (mech engineering, 5 days a week) and waking up really early for 1 - 1.5 hours of travel would be a great weight off my shoulders :)

Thanks for reading
hey dude, i know what you mean about the long commute, its a bitch. living on campus is definitely what you want to be doing in this situation.

yeah your chances of getting into a college s2 are very remote. i know for a fact TKC has an minor influx of australian kids between s1/s2, probably about 20 max, although it doesnt hurt in applying just in case, to get on the reserve list. if that falls through definitely apply for next year by september this year and should be guarenteed a spot (since you dont have to go through uac and all that shit). the other colleges may have spots, but id stay stick it out for another sessions and go TKC. TKC get 2nd years from other colleges, so thats saying something isnt it.

yeah you need to bring your own computer cords etc. you have a port in your room for your landline phone (which is provided) and for your internet. The internet usage at TKC is definitely getting better, it was 4c/MB when i was a fresher and now its 0.4c/MB so not bad at all. at one point last year though they were providing free internet to us so that was really sick. in terms of speed its pretty damn fast, couldn't give you a number but way faster then uniwide thats for sure.

yeah you got your own desk and light, so studying is not a problem, although other people who have finished exams and are getting on the piss can be annoying haha

but yeah living on campus is very rewarding, you can wake up 5 mins before class and still make it, so convenient. you will however find the colleges very social and your willpower will be tested on many different occasions. what i mean by that is if youre in room at 4:45pm saying to yourself "oh yeah im going to study tonight" then someone suggests you go down to unibar for happy hour and before you know it youre predrinking in the common room, going to the cross, going to the rege and its 4:45am and youre like oh shit what have i done haha. i hope youre that type of social person because that whats college is about, there is always something going on (not always drinking stuff) and TKC wise there is definitely a lot of that, there is a weekly calendar given out to you and you can choose your nights, which is more then what the other colleges can say.

if youve got anymore questions fire away.

HSC
i.e. baxter has about 50 exchange students who go home, and they all have people leave after sem 1 anyway.
more like baxter has 15 exchange students go home.

but then in session 2 15 more come. bloody seppos

warrane boy hey? ouch. nah just kidding, some of the boys there are cool. just dont bring torches to the rugby, doesnt help the whole warrane opus dei cult thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)