UNSW Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Re: UNSW Chit Chat Thread 2015.

Any idea when fins quiz comes back? My tutor said next week, but I want it back before census date lol.

Enigma Machine

HSC

Is it only me or are there are more subjects run in semester 1 than semester 2 for the Engineering and CSE departments?
I am having a hard time making my study plan for next year because all the subjects I want to do are in semester 1 only.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

RIP FINS1613. Praying I guess the stage model questions correctly. My figures weren't coming out. Other than that, other 10 questions were correct.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad

Looks like I'll probably get 9 out of 12. Totally forgotten how to calculate the 2/3 stage model questions except the time cash flows.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC

ok gotta start doing some work oiz

photastic

HSC

Looks like I'll probably get 9 out of 12. Totally forgotten how to calculate the 2/3 stage model questions except the time cash flows.
Hated how 1 question was worth 8 marks. Thank god its only worth 10%

mreditor16

HSC

Guys, my MATH1151 Algebra tutor is horrendous. And during the same timeslot is another MATH1151 Algebra tutorial, run by a much better tutor, with 4 empty slots. Is there a way to change classes?

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad

Guys, my MATH1151 Algebra tutor is horrendous. And during the same timeslot is another MATH1151 Algebra tutorial, run by a much better tutor, with 4 empty slots. Is there a way to change classes?
Don't know if you will be able transfer to another class unless under exceptional circumstances, which seems unlikely since the tutorial runs at the exact same time :p (and the fact that it is already way past T1 Enrolment Deadline which was Mar 8). After this date you don't really have the option of making changes to your timetable so I don't really think you can much about it as of now. Just self-study 1151, going through the yellow book and doing the problems required. If you don't, discuss with peers etc. and use PASS classes if you really need to get that help (but even PASS can be a bit dodgy since some tutors already forgot some of the content). Also, the School of Maths has generously offered first-year consultation hours, so if you find the right person, that can help a lot as well :). Otherwise, since attendance doesn't actually count unless you fail the course, you could just rock up to the other class you wanted to go to and just go from there :p. Besides, who is your Algebra tutor for 1151?

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC

Don't know if you will be able transfer to another class unless under exceptional circumstances, which seems unlikely since the tutorial runs at the exact same time :p (and the fact that it is already way past T1 Enrolment Deadline which was Mar 8). After this date you don't really have the option of making changes to your timetable so I don't really think you can much about it as of now. Just self-study 1151, going through the yellow book and doing the problems required. If you don't, discuss with peers etc. and use PASS classes if you really need to get that help (but even PASS can be a bit dodgy since some tutors already forgot some of the content). Also, the School of Maths has generously offered first-year consultation hours, so if you find the right person, that can help a lot as well :). Otherwise, since attendance doesn't actually count unless you fail the course, you could just rock up to the other class you wanted to go to and just go from there :p. Besides who is your 1151 tutor?
For Calculus, I have Alex who is really good and is very approachable and seems to like me and knows his shit really well and does the Qs we want him to do and has an interesting accent. The Algebra class I want to move to has Alex as its tutor, which is like 50% of my reason to move. But the other 50% is that my current Algebra tutor (Mary) doesn't teach that well, only does the questions she wants to do (mostly the easy ones, not the hard ones we want clarification on), is really disengaging, is not that approachable and sometimes doesn't know what is going on in the scheme of things.

A real shame I cant change now. Thanks for the advice you've given.

I wish I could go to the PASS classes, but all the available timeslots clash with my timetable :/

And tbh for consultation hours, I don't know who to go to. Like Dick and Kress aren't the best at giving tips and clarifying and explaining the hard Qs (according to those who have them for tutes and from what I've seen in lectures), although they are relatively okay at teaching content from scratch. And then Alex has consultation hours during our MATH1151 lecture :/

And tbh doesn't it get awkward if I go to Alex's tutorial for Algebra (considering he knows me) and magically stop going to Mary's one? Like hmmmmm

mreditor16

HSC

Two stages. This is assuming that your maths tutor gets the students to pass attendance around and initial as opposed to "calling out the roll"

Stage 1: Attend the other tute. Obviously don't sign the roll
Stage 2: Get a friend from your own tute to initial for you every tutorial because you obviously won't be attending

I do S2 heaps LOL, and I think its okay to just go and sit in a tute. Like what will they do, give you detention?
The roll gets marked out loud in my class.

D94

HSC
N/A

Speak to the course convener and express your concerns.

mreditor16

HSC

VBN, course outline says "If you have a poor record of attendance or performance during the semester you may be failed regardless of illness or compassionate grounds affecting the final exam."

Also, maybe I should just ask Alex, if I can attend his Algebra tutorial? But that could get awkward.....

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC

Speak to the course convener and express your concerns.
But course outline says "Students are able to change their tutorials, via myUNSW, until the end of week 1. After that time, they can only change their tutorials with the agreement of the Student Services Office, RC-3088. To change a tutorial you will need to provide proof of a timetable clash or work commitments."

So do I have grounds? And what argument do I adopt?

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad

VBN, course outline says "If you have a poor record of attendance or performance during the semester you may be failed regardless of illness or compassionate grounds affecting the final exam."

Also, maybe I should just ask Alex, if I can attend his Algebra tutorial? But that could get awkward.....
But course outline says "Students are able to change their tutorials, via myUNSW, until the end of week 1. After that time, they can only change their tutorials with the agreement of the Student Services Office, RC-3088. To change a tutorial you will need to provide proof of a timetable clash or work commitments."

They mark the roll and record attendance yes, but it is not like ASB courses where it is 80% compulsory attendance, and you automatically fail if you don't attend at least 80% of tutorials. For MATH courses, they don't really give a shit if your performance is up to standards, attendance only matters when they consider giving out Pass Conceded (PC) grades to students who pretty much failed finals. You can go the Alex tutor if you want to, but keep in mind that the rest of the class tests you will have to do in Mary's tutorial (since that is the one you are officially enrolled in). I don't think there is a valid enough reason now to make an official change since it will be unfair to other students etc (especially due to the fact the tutorials run at the same time). Don't worry if you skip lectures just for consultation, Kress and Dick aren't the only ones there, there are many others you can go to if you want help. Besides you can catch up on the lectures via the Echo360 recordings if you're patient enough to go through them.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A

You are thinking too logically. Just express your concerns and suggest a solution. You are speaking to a person, not a computer.

mreditor16

HSC

You are thinking too logically. Just express your concerns and suggest a solution. You are speaking to a person, not a computer.
I'll see what I can do. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)