UNSW Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainPrice

HSC
Re: UNSW Chit Chat Thread 2015.

Were you planning to do a physics major? :O
No just the two electives, I thought it was pretty interesting

I might be minoring in either machine learning or computational design (probs this, looks really cool)

BTW - if anyone has any experience with Computational Design, please give your thoughts below, it seems like a new degree at unsw, and I'm unsure of the employment prospects as well

CaptainPrice

HSC

wat

I can't judge if I don't understand what you're saying
See Square you are doing it again, pls don't judge

Now you are saying I am socially awkward hence not having the sufficient wording for a proper conversation

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

No just the two electives, I thought it was pretty interesting

I might be minoring in either machine learning or computational design (probs this, looks really cool)

BTW - if anyone has any experience with Computational Design, please give your thoughts below, it seems like a new degree at unsw, and I'm unsure of the employment prospects as well
I am going to do COMP9417 as well :D

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

See Square you are doing it again, pls don't judge

Now you are saying I am socially awkward hence not having the sufficient wording for a proper conversation
wat

no i just have shit english

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Oh but it makes a different sound if you attempt to tap on and it displays an error.
In the first few weeks of semester two I would flash my wallet at them at my station (being my station doesn't have ticket gates) just for the fun of it.

Speaking of which, who will be getting opal concession here? (now that UNSW is one of the 5 universities that have opal concession)
I'm pretty sure it is either the same price or less for me.

I go to uni pretty much 4 to 6 days a week during semester so it is worth it for me I guess.

engineering parties LOL
~ $500 bar tab Roundhouse roughly two times a semester ~

~ BBQ every second week ~

And I don't even do anything in those societies or be actively involved with them hahaha.

BlugyBlug

HSC

What are you best societies to sign up for??
Cuesports society is excellent. Even if you're not into pool/billiards you'll definitely be interested if you go to one of their (free) events with some friends just to mess around.

Mechanical engineering/electrical engineering for their free food and beer/cider.

HSC

Just a few questions -

1) Is it bad to have lessons on consecutive times? For instance i was playing around with the time slots and classes and i found one combination where there was a lecture and tutorial which went 3 hours straight.

2) It says tutorial lessons start week 2, does that mean during our first week of UNI, we ONLY go to lectures?

3) Does it matter if you have a tutorial lesson on your timetable before your lecture?

Verify

HSC

Just a few questions -

1) Is it bad to have lessons on consecutive times? For instance i was playing around with the time slots and classes and i found one combination where there was a lecture and tutorial which went 3 hours straight.

2) It says tutorial lessons start week 2, does that mean during our first week of UNI, we ONLY go to lectures?

3) Does it matter if you have a tutorial lesson on your timetable before your lecture?
Doesn't matter where you put your lectures and tutorials because tutorials start on week 2. Only lectures on week 1 if I understand correctly...

Last edited:

Verify

HSC

I'll be doing a single commerce degree for first year. Does that mean I'll only be doing the compulsory courses or am I able to do elective courses as well? If so how many?

lolwot

HSC

Just a few questions -

1. No. I once had two five hour blocks on the same day and it was doable.

2. Generally the first week will only be lectures. However a select few courses run labs/tutorials in the first week, where they will likely notify you beforehand by e-mail. If you do have a tute in the first week it won't be very intense, only icebreakers and looking at the structure of the course, assignments, quizzes etc. (atleast in my experience)

3. No tutorials/labs will usually cover the lecture material from the previous week.

Last edited:

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC

Cuesports society is excellent. Even if you're not into pool/billiards you'll definitely be interested if you go to one of their (free) events with some friends just to mess around.

Mechanical engineering/electrical engineering for their free food and beer/cider.
ayy lmao joined cuesports but havent gone to crap maybe I'll join there events this year

HSC

1. No. I once had two five hour blocks on the same day and it was doable.

2. Generally the first week will only be lectures. However a select few courses run labs/tutorials in the first week, where they will likely notify you beforehand by e-mail. If you do have a tute in the first week it won't be very intense, only icebreakers and looking at the structure of the course, assignments, quizzes etc. (atleast in my experience)

3. No tutorials/labs will usually cover the lecture material from the previous week.
Thank you! :D

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

just use an opal card

dont tap on or tap off
The guards scan them and gg when it says you haven't tapped on/off

Wow, this style of transport is such a significant step up from highschool :/
welcome to the real world

I'm actually sad to hear that

Square... <3

You've been such an inspiration tbh,
this is probably the most helpful I've been in any thread ever lol
LMAOOO yeah I was thinking the same thing and you got called an inspiration :p

~ $500 bar tab Roundhouse roughly two times a semester ~

~ BBQ every second week ~

And I don't even do anything in those societies or be actively involved with them hahaha.
Holy crap might just join the Soc for the bar tab

D94

HSC
N/A

iirc level 1 courses are treated differently or something to higher level courses or something
Not for WAM. WAM treats different UOC differently, but not different levels. That is, WAM = sum of (mark*UOC) / sum of (UOC).

Specifically for engineering, there is an H-WAM (honours WAM) where that does take into account each level, but all that does is puts you into a Honours class. This is calculated by H-WAM = sum of (mark*UOC*level) / sum of (UOC*level). However, that WAM doesn't get written down anywhere apart from having Hon. I or Hon. II(1) or Hon. II(2).

mreditor16

HSC

Welp, just got reminded about opal concession.

I've been calculating my opal fares and I'm getting around $29.00 a week from Monday-Friday. And that's including the free trips that I get on Friday after having 8 journeys done Monday-Thursday.

Unless if I'm bothered, I'll probably still stick to a mymulti2 to save myself the time and the hassle to chase for bigger discounts.

Speaking of which, who will be getting opal concession here? (now that UNSW is one of the 5 universities that have opal concession)
won't all unsw students get it? and also when?

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC

won't all unsw students get it? and also when?
prob not cause theres certain conditions for you to be entitled to concession, if you hold concession then u'll get the opal meme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)