UNSW Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreditor16

HSC
Re: UNSW Chit Chat Thread 2015.

Just received an email from UNSW notifying me of a few room changes. You guys might want to check your UNSW emails just in case it happened to you.

photastic

HSC

Just received an email from UNSW notifying me of a few room changes. You guys might want to check your UNSW emails just in case it happened to you.
Which courses did they change for you?

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad

Can't wait until my ID expires and I have to go get a new one. My current picture is really terrible.

Hopefully this is legit and we can upload our picture beforehand as I'm pretty sure it will be just as terrible the next time if I try to get my photo done at FM Assist.
Yep same here haha. I had a really funky haircut when I took mine this time last year.

Where do you go if you want your photo to be done at UNSW before O week?
FM assist from Mathews Building as others mentioned it. You could also get from the Main Library too, but I think this is exclusive to the O-Week period only.

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC

Yeah the Maths department does that quite frequently before the semester starts to even out the enrolments to each tutorial.
But how does a room change even out enrolments? Oh, does it mean I am in a new class now? I originally thought my whole class got room changed or something hahaha.

Babylon78

HSC

Hi I was reading under the notes for Laws1052:

There are intensive classes in O-Week. School Consent only in Semester 2.

This might be a stupid question, but is this implying that lectures are on during O-Week?

Also, one of the tutorials i'm enrolled in is now listed as 'on hold' > does this mean it's not confirmed that it will run?

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad

But how does a room change even out enrolments? Oh, does it mean I am in a new class now? I originally thought my whole class got room changed or something hahaha.
Yep because there could be up to 7 classes at the same time, with a different room/location to each with jumbled enrolment numbers to each. So you're likely to be in a different room now. They can't change your time however.

Last edited:

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad

Anyone got their Opal card yet? Got mine in the mail box just then! :D

Babylon78

HSC

Whattttttttttttttttt pretty sure classes start from the 2nd of March...

where did you find this from :O

And as for the tute, its currently being evaluated for the need for it to run or not etc. Maybe enrol yourself in a different one in order to not have to get a bad time later
Cheers, I thought the same about the classes > http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/current/LAWS1052.html It's in the red writing near the top under notes Though that directly contradicts what it says under the lecture slot which says from the 2nd of March onwards as you say.

mreditor16

HSC

Yess!! Very happy that I got Dr A Motta for my ECON1101 lectures! :)

I got Dr HT Bainbridge for MGMT1001. Anyone know how he/she is?

And I got Apro J Dick and Dr JM Kress for MATH1151. Anyone know how they are?

QZP

HSC

Got my concession opal card in mail!! :D

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad

Both Kress and Dick are decent lecturers, but Kress' lecture notes are better imo. I don't know which lecturer will be running which stream (Alg or Calc) but last year Kress ran the Calculus stream, and Dick ran the Calc stream for MATH1251 in SEM2 so I don't know how it will be this time around for you guys. In fact, if you have a decent foundation and consistently study, the course pack is all you need to do very well, so attending lectures is not a must, you may soon find that it gets pretty boring as you progress through the semester and that most people will bludge through the lectures and learn the content on their own. The yellow Algebra book is really good though, since it is specifically tailored to suit the Actuarial kids, whilst for Calculus, they only provide the 31/41 course notes and lecture notes, so the additional Calculus content you may have to learn through the given lecture notes or supplementary resources like YouTube/KhanAcacdemy etc. Another good resource for Calc is Dr Chris Tisdell's YouTube videos, so that may be of benefit to you. For MGMT1001, I barely went to lectures, but I have heard that Dr B is pretty good (don't know what Bainbridge is like), in that he makes an effort to engage the audience blah blah despite all the hate the course receives etc. etc.

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC

Both Kress and Dick are decent lecturers, but Kress' lecture notes are better imo. I don't know which lecturer will be running which stream (Alg or Calc) but last year Kress ran the Calculus stream, and Dick ran the Calc stream for MATH1251 in SEM2 so I don't know how it will be this time around for you guys. In fact, you have a decent foundation and consistently study, course pack is all you need to do very well, so attending lectures is not a must, you may soon find that it gets pretty boring as you progress through the semester and that most people will bludge through the lectures and learn the content on their own. The yellow Algebra book is really good though, since it is specifically tailored to suit the Actuarial kids, whilst for Calculus, they only provide the 31/41 course notes and lecture notes, so the additional Calculus content you may have to learn through the given lecture notes or supplementary resources like YouTube/KhanAcacdemy etc. Another good resource for Calc is Dr Chris Tisdell's YouTube videos, so that may be of benefit to you. For MGMT1001, I barely went to lectures, but I have heard that Dr B is pretty good (don't know what Bainbridge is like), in that he makes an effort to engage the audience blah blah despite all the hate the course receives etc. etc.
Thanks so much man!! The "yellow Algebra book" will come as part of the course pack, right?

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad

Thanks so much man!! The "yellow Algebra book" will come as part of the course pack, right?
Yep, all part of the course pack, it will save your life :)

mreditor16

HSC

Yep, all part of the course pack, it will save your life :)
Do others courses have a course pack?

I am doing ACCT1501, ECON1101 and MGMT1001 as my 3 other courses this term. Besides the prescribed textbooks for each course, is there anything on offer or something I should look out for to buy?

omni16

HSC

Me too! Hi-five! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)