UNSW chit chat thread (2 Viewers)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2016

Tbh I only know of two courses that I'm doing next sem.

Still need to decide on what two other courses to do. Either way, I'm gonna have to choose at least one postgrad or fourth year course.

D94

HSC
N/A

It says all T2 classes are "open" tho now??

Yeah I might do 3 subjects because I don't need to do any more subjects for my science degree this year other than chem A. Plus I'm doing really shit in math and chem so I might need to to avoid getting pass average (or failing a subject) unfortunately.
No no no, don't think like that. You need to think how many UoC you need to do to fulfil the requirements of your degree over the entire length of the degree. If you continue down that path, you might be at uni for 5+ years since there are less 'core' courses than electives in science/computer science. The point of the electives is to ensure you complete a typical 48 UOC per year load.

Thinking the latter is ok, i.e. if you feel you are struggling a bit, then underloading (i.e. less than 24 UOC) is advisable to ensure you don't fail. But remember, you will need to extend your degree, unless you could find a summer course (but very few are offered, and you will need to attend uni during the summer).

Flop21

HSC

No no no, don't think like that. You need to think how many UoC you need to do to fulfil the requirements of your degree over the entire length of the degree. If you continue down that path, you might be at uni for 5+ years since there are less 'core' courses than electives in science/computer science. The point of the electives is to ensure you complete a typical 48 UOC per year load.

Thinking the latter is ok, i.e. if you feel you are struggling a bit, then underloading (i.e. less than 24 UOC) is advisable to ensure you don't fail. But remember, you will need to extend your degree, unless you could find a summer course (but very few are offered, and you will need to attend uni during the summer).
I only was going to do 3 subjects next sem, definitely not later on. Might do chem b during the summer (but then I ruin all the chances I have of going on holidays :( ).

I'm a bit confused with the requirements of my degree. If I look at the major requirements for my science major + the requirements for a comp sci degree without the free electives, is that what I'm required to do for my double degree?? Or no?

Because if I major in bioinformatics, there's a tonne of overlap with my computing subjects, so I'll already have done math, the comp classes etc. but if I have to have a set amount of UOC completed for EACH degree (because of the overlap the UOC might be less, unless if it overlaps it counts towards both degrees), then I will have to take extra science or comp electives??

D94

HSC
N/A

I only was going to do 3 subjects next sem, definitely not later on. Might do chem b during the summer (but then I ruin all the chances I have of going on holidays :( ).

I'm a bit confused with the requirements of my degree. If I look at the major requirements for my science major + the requirements for a comp sci degree without the free electives, is that what I'm required to do for my double degree?? Or no?

Because if I major in bioinformatics, there's a tonne of overlap with my computing subjects, so I'll already have done math, the comp classes etc. but if I have to have a set amount of UOC completed for EACH degree (because of the overlap the UOC might be less, unless if it overlaps it counts towards both degrees), then I will have to take extra science or comp electives??
Quite certain we went over this before - http://community.boredofstudies.org.../347677/my-degree-impossible.html#post7103871

In a Science/Comp Science, you have to complete 96 UOC for Science and 96 UOC of Computer Science. No matter what, you need to complete that many UOC to satisfy each degree, regardless of if there is overlap. In both cases, you will have plenty of UOC to complete both degrees and have UOC remaining. That remaining UOC needs to be split to ensure you fulfil the UOC requirements of each degree.

Flop21

HSC

Quite certain we went over this before - http://community.boredofstudies.org.../347677/my-degree-impossible.html#post7103871

In a Science/Comp Science, you have to complete 96 UOC for Science and 96 UOC of Computer Science. No matter what, you need to complete that many UOC to satisfy each degree, regardless of if there is overlap. In both cases, you will have plenty of UOC to complete both degrees and have UOC remaining. That remaining UOC needs to be split to ensure you fulfil the UOC requirements of each degree.
Oh that's right. Yeah I really need to sit down and just plan out the whole thing so I understand it fully.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Tbh I only know of two courses that I'm doing next sem.

Still need to decide on what two other courses to do. Either way, I'm gonna have to choose at least one postgrad or fourth year course.
Ok just went through this and I think for once I can get a legit 4 day (but skipping lectures turns into 3 days) timetable.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

When can we actually apply?
Under the myUNSW tab "enrollment appointments", it will tell you exactly when.

It won't be for another few weeks though.

ffs the best timetable I can come up with will leave me at uni for ~ 10 hours in the one day
At least it's not 10 hours a day for a few days in a row, or a 12+ hour day.

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

ffs the best timetable I can come up with will leave me at uni for ~ 10 hours in the one day
wtf bruh why are you complaining that's amazing

I have like that 9-10 hrs 4 days a week

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

lmao

why would they do that with 2 engineering subjects
It's because there's heaps of electives in later years and course conveners pick times that suit them. Some will look at all the other electives but others won't. For core courses the school usually dictates the mandatory times however. Usually clashes like that occur when you do courses of different levels or from different schools otherwise.

D94

HSC
N/A

lmao

why would they do that with 2 engineering subjects
Well that's my entire timetable. 2 physical courses and 1 thesis course (which has no physical class). The elective is at 6-9pm because the lecturer always runs it at that time (due to his research and travel), and the other course is a core course so what can you do...

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Wait is that a clash or not?

I keep thinking it's a clash. Is it clashing with itself?

D94

HSC
N/A

Wait is that a clash or not?

I keep thinking it's a clash. Is it clashing with itself?
Me? It's just the same course; we get split up in wk 8-11. No clashes. I will only have 2 courses, but one is at 6pm-9pm, the other at 9am-1pm. Horrible times.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Me? It's just the same course; we get split up in wk 8-11. No clashes. I will only have 2 courses, but one is at 6pm-9pm, the other at 9am-1pm. Horrible times.
Yeah.

Oh right that makes sense. It looks like a clash because it's overlapping.

Yeah there's a postgrad course that I want to do that has always been 6 to 9 pm as well.

Although depending on the courses I pick, I can get out of 9 am starts again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)