UNSW chit chat thread (1 Viewer)

UNSWStudent

HSC
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2016

Hi guys,
Is PSYC1011 Psychology 1B acceptable gen ed for computer science?
It is in the faculty of science, so I thought it could be not accepted.

leehuan

HSC

^Good question. LF>D94/Squar3/Queen/AD

What faculty does comp sci get considered under? Engineering?

Flop21

HSC

Hi guys,
Is PSYC1011 Psychology 1B acceptable gen ed for computer science?
It is in the faculty of science, so I thought it could be not accepted.
Students should select courses from outside the Faculty of Engineering and in disciplines that are not available in their program as core courses.
So looks like yeah. Ring them up and check though.

D94

HSC
N/A

^Good question. LF>D94/Squar3/Queen/AD

What faculty does comp sci get considered under? Engineering?
Engineering

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/faculties/2016/eng/eng.html

No but it would count as an elective
Agreed, based on:

Students should select courses from disciplines that are not available in their program as core or elective courses.
If it can count as an elective, it can't count as a gen ed.

Last edited:

plebcrusher

HSC
N/A

Fuck yes, i passed physics wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot fuck u physics. You're a bitch.

UNSWStudent

HSC

No but it would count as an elective
Thank you so much. I definitely don't want it as an elective. I will go replace it with an arts/commence course.
I'm sure all arts courses can be done as gen ed but can I do ECON1101 as a gen ed?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

Thank you so much. I definitely don't want it as an elective. I will go replace it with an arts/commence course.
I'm sure all arts courses can be done as gen ed but can I do ECON1101 as a gen ed?
yes

you can find out this information by going to the relevant subject handbook page and it will say weather or not it is available to be taken as a gen ed

UNSWStudent

HSC

yes

you can find out this information by going to the relevant subject handbook page and it will say weather or not it is available to be taken as a gen ed
But for example for Psychology 1B it says yes but I can't take it as gen ed for CS. But now I understand that it shouldn't be a subject I can take as elective.
I thought psychology was far enough from CS such that it was allowed as gen ed.

D94

HSC
N/A

But for example for Psychology 1B it says yes but I can't take it as gen ed for CS. But now I understand that it shouldn't be a subject I can take as elective.
I thought psychology was far enough from CS such that it was allowed as gen ed.
Well PSYC1A is a first year engineering elective, so it's a faculty wide decision, not just in CS.

UNSWStudent

HSC

Ok, so I emailed CSE and this is what they said:

"PSYC1011 Psychology 1B can count as a Gen. Ed. course for the program 3978 Computer Science, since it is outside the Faculty of Engineering and in a discipline that is not available in 3978 as a core course."

I am confused now.

leehuan

HSC

"PSYC1011 Psychology 1B can count as a Gen. Ed. course for the program 3978 Computer Science, since it is outside the Faculty of Engineering and in a discipline that is not available in 3978 as a core course."

I am confused now.
I kinda doubt that the CSE would be wrong if they said it is ok

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

I am confused now.
Is that your program course code? Then it's fine

D94

HSC
N/A

I am confused now.
I guess that's fair enough. Some courses that are outside of the Faculty of Engineering might be a core course in some degrees, such as MATH2089 (Numerical Methods and Statistics) being a core in Mechanical Engineering. Since it's neither a core nor within the Faculty of Engineering, they concluded it can count as a general education elective.

Make sure you keep that email though, just in case they go back on what they said.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

I guess that's fair enough. Some courses that are outside of the Faculty of Engineering might be a core course in some degrees, such as MATH2089 (Numerical Methods and Statistics) being a core in Mechanical Engineering. Since it's neither a core nor within the Faculty of Engineering, they concluded it can count as a general education elective.

Make sure you keep that email though, just in case they go back on what they said.
they said it can only be taken as a course if it is required for your program tho

edit can't find where it said that but I remeber reading it somewhere http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2016/MATH2089.html also the same case with math2019 and nano1001

D94

HSC
N/A

they said it can only be taken as a course if it is required for your program tho
It was an example to demonstrate: "some courses that are outside of the Faculty of Engineering might be a core course in some degrees" (obviously referring to Mechanical in this example).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)