• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UNSW Clubs and Societies (1 Viewer)

Acid

HSC
Hey guys,

Is there anywhere I can find a list of the clubs and societies at UNSW? Also, are there any non-nerdy ones like a beer club or food club? :)

Acid

HSC
these clubs look very interested:

1. beer appreciation
2. hip-hop

!!

B

Bambul

I'm going to say this only once: don't judge a club by its name. Some clubs are real and active, despite them sounding weird (e.g. Circus Society and Medieval Society). Some are not (e.g. Chocolate Society). There are some clubs that literally do nothing other than take your $5 and hold one event all year, which is composed almost entirely of a close group of friends. Others just don't do much - I won't name any individual one, but if you ever talk to me or PM me I can list some and elaborate. There are some clubs that don't do much, then there are clubs that are run by some really passionate people and hold a lot of events/activities that you will get a lot out of.

The only real way to find out is to ask around. The Yellow Shirts (shameless plug) during O-Week tend to be really active and have been part of a lot of clubs, I recommend you ask them for their personal opinions of which clubs are good.

I haven't been a member of every club, but I recomend the following ones in no particular order (if they interest you):

1. <B>NUTS</B> - Theatre society. NUTS puts on a lot of shows during the year. If you want to be in the cast or tech crew then you need to join. Alternetavely you can join and get a $2 discount on all their shows. Some non-NUTS shows will also give you the $2 discount if you are a member.
2. <B>Studio Four</B> - Comedy society. They run free weekly improv workshops (think Whose Line is it Anyway), Theatresports competitions, comedy shows, etc. It's less than a year old but has a very active memberbase.
3. <B>UN Society</B> - Self explanatory. They generally run seminars. For example, last year they had a seminar you could attend where a former Australian diplomat who was the Australian ambassador to the UN security council was speaking. They've also had Edward de Bono and a former assistant to Kofi Annan. It's also responsible for putting together the UNSW group of the annual UN Model Conference.

Then there are the other clubs and societies:

1. Nationality-based (e.g. Indonesian Students Association)
2. Religion-based (e.g. Islamic Society)
3. Course-based (e.g. Law Society)
4. College-based (e.g. New College Students Association)
5. Politics-based (e.g. Labor Club)
6. Sports-based (e.g. Windsurfing Club)

I can't help you with these much, other than to say that you are usually an automatic member of your constituent society (e.g. I'm a member of the Commerce and Economics Society, being an Economics student, the same for Med Soc, Law Soc, Software Engineering Soc, etc).

Acid

HSC
kenny12 said:
anything on anime ? eg anime socity / club?
Yep, theres an anime club. I hear it's pretty popular too but it's just not my thing. :)

kaitoufion

HSC
So how do we join these clubs?? :)
Coz I m very interested in some of them ^_^

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Just wait till O-Week... all the stalls will be out, you shall be overwhelmed ;P

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Josie said:
Just wait till O-Week... all the stalls will be out, you shall be overwhelmed ;P
too many stalls promoting clubs that dont do jack

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Yeah, but kaitoufion knows which ones he is interested in.. makes the process that much easier.

Amryllis

HSC
I've been in the anime club for 2 years and I go to the screenings. The screenings are on every 2nd Friday 6pm-11pm, usually in the Keith Burrows Theatre. The club organises many events other than the screenings in the year e.g. karaoke days, yum cha outings, and annual Christmas parties that is held in conjunction with UTS and USyd anime clubs.

You can join the club at the stall in O-Week or you can just turn up to the first screening and sign up. It's $10 (I think) to join. Probably cheaper to join during O-Week. When you're a member screening entries are free ($2 for non-members).

Check out: http://www.animeunsw.org/

laney

HSC
Maybe this year i'll get my act together and start my club.

I want to start a comedy club, not an improv one, a club where you don't have to do anything except come to weekly/fortnightly (depending on how active i feel about this) where we book a room and watching some bloody good comedy dvds/videos, and we get out all the old best ofs and just rewatch them.

And it'd be a really good place to get to know other people who have similar comedy interests. Sydney University started one but the club ceased, and it had about 200 members, so i'm hoping to find just as much interest in this.

If anyone wants to help start this, give me a shout. Otherwise it may have to wait until i get really motivated to start it.

DavidV

HSC
THe clubs i can recommend joining are:

NUTS - as bambul said u get discounts to many on campus shows, as well as the opportunity to meet loads of fun people.

Studio4 - the comedy society runs workshops on improv every week and also Theatresports competitions. There show [Insert Comedy] is one of the best on campus and this year is travelling to melbourne i believe.

Revue - You will make around 150 new friends by joining the revues. i can guarentee it. It is absolutely the best thing i joined at Uni.

Then join the various sports clubs you are interested in, the circus society (havent heard too much but alot of ppl join and they ahve alot of fun) and the salsa club (gives you afew free entry's to salsa nightclubs as well as free/cheap lessons) I didnt join but it looks like alot of fun.

If you are into being in a laid back choir join Zest! which is this singing group. When i was in it it was overruled by a nazi guy who was very controlling, but i believe it is quite good now (from what i have heard)

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
DavidV said:
Revue - You will make around 150 new friends by joining the revues. i can guarentee it. It is absolutely the best thing i joined at Uni.
What are those?

sunny

meh.
HSC
jang said:
how much is it to join a club in general?
Usually about $10 membership, there might be other fees associated depending on what the club is (eg, sport would have training fees etc).

Curry said:
What are those?
Revues are comedy shows put together by students. The bigger ones on campus are Med, Law and CSE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)