UNSW - estimate of EAS points (1 Viewer)

cssu0425

HSC
Hello,

I wanna do Commerce or Combined Commerce at UNSW, it's 96.3, but my ATAR is around 6 - 7 points short from the cutoff. UNSW stacks max 10 points across EAS & HSC PLUS, I already got 2 from PLUS bc of band 5 english, so I need at least 5 points from EAS to meet the cut off (although it may change due to popularity of the course)

For EAS, I applied for:
H01B
F01D

So here's my question: Does anyone have a good estimate of how many EAS points UNSW may give me? I am well aware they don't disclose it and they don't exactly see the full details of the disadvantages I applied for.

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, unfortunate to hear whats happened.

Im terms of this it is very hard to predict how many bonus points will be given. I guess time will tell, but I'm predicting you should be able to get in.

Any contingency plans if not?

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
I'm sorry, this is slightly unrelevant to OP but I'd like to ask if it is still possible to submit an EAS application? I've read that main round EAS closes at 7th of Jan and then read something else that said it must be submitted at september 2014 so I'm a bit confused

cssu0425

HSC
Hi, unfortunate to hear whats happened.

Im terms of this it is very hard to predict how many bonus points will be given. I guess time will tell, but I'm predicting you should be able to get in.

Any contingency plans if not?
Thanks for replying so fast!

Yeah got some backups - if Commerce is too competitive, possibly do Economics, it's 93, assuming I get in with all the points, then do internal transfer.
Or if that's competitive too, possibly go USYD, try go into Commerce (95) by getting in under Broadway Scheme (not sure if USYD stacks like UNSW) OR do Economics (91) then EXTERNALLY transfer to UNSW and graduate there!

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi ive just asked a friend, who got 3eas because his school was in a disasvantaged location. But obviously your scenario is a lot harsher, so looks like you will get more points

cssu0425

HSC
Hi ive just asked a friend, who got 3eas because his school was in a disasvantaged location. But obviously your scenario is a lot harsher, so looks like you will get more points
But I read that unis don't know the circumstances of students and they just distribute EAS points based on disadvantage codes students apply for? Is that a myth and I've been lied to? Haha not so sure :$$$

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
But I read that unis don't know the circumstances of students and they just distribute EAS points based on disadvantage codes students apply for? Is that a myth and I've been lied to? Haha not so sure :$$$
Minimum 3 points, your codes would receive more points than what i received under S01A. Because you have 2 codes, i think it would be possible that you would get in, not certain though.

cssu0425

HSC
Minimum 3 points, your codes would receive more points than what i received under S01A. Because you have 2 codes, i think it would be possible that you would get in, not certain though.
Ah okay I see, thanks... hopefully I do get a good amount of EAS points. Does anyone know specifics on how UNSW operates EAS? I know they don't disclose the amount of points given, but do they look at the circumstances of a student's disadvantage? Like the details?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Ah okay I see, thanks... hopefully I do get a good amount of EAS points. Does anyone know specifics on how UNSW operates EAS? I know they don't disclose the amount of points given, but do they look at the circumstances of a student's disadvantage? Like the details?
No one can really answer that but i don't think they would differ the process from all the other uni's. The points variation would be based on whatever code of EAS you have, with more serious codes obviously receiving more points.

cssu0425

HSC
No one can really answer that but i don't think they would differ the process from all the other uni's. The points variation would be based on whatever code of EAS you have, with more serious codes obviously receiving more points.
I see, thank you!

Also another question to anyone, I was looking at Comm/Eco but I also have Comm/Media(PR & Advertising) on the back of my mind, but I have a friend who did Media (Journalism) there and said it required a lot of work + HEAPS of internships and placements. Am I better off doing Media at UTS? Is Media strong at UNSW? What are the chances of job prospects in the long term if I do Media?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I see, thank you!

Also another question to anyone, I was looking at Comm/Eco but I also have Comm/Media(PR & Advertising) on the back of my mind, but I have a friend who did Media (Journalism) there and said it required a lot of work + HEAPS of internships and placements. Am I better off doing Media at UTS? Is Media strong at UNSW? What are the chances of job prospects in the long term if I do Media?
No problem.

You're better off making a new thread because you'll get more responses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)