UNSW - How much to pay to get in? (1 Viewer)

hoyts

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I am currently a no hope at even getting a 50 in the UAI.. I might actually get that or a bit higher but I don't beleive I can even try to get anything above.

I was just wondering what are the requirements to get into:

UNSW
UTS

Can you pay a FEE and get into the course without having the right UAI?

HSC
UAI requirement depends on the course you choose. And I don't think there are any DFEE places for 2009 entry (correct me if I'm wrong..).

hoyts

HSC
N/A
What is DFEE and i'll be going to uni in 2010

sthcross.dude

HSC
go as mature age.

Why such a low UAI? You still have time, if you can't get high enough to get into some course, even if you then have to transfer to what you want, maybe higher education is not for you.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
hoyts said:
What is DFEE and i'll be going to uni in 2010
DFEE is where you pay like $20000 to do your course (although it depends on the course and they lower it by 5 UAI points. But the last year you could start a course as a DFEE student is this year, so in 2010 you wont be able to 'pay' to get in.

Tbh, even if they still had DFEE i dont think you wouldnt be able to get in anyway, because they only lower the UAI by 5 points, and i'm pretty sure that there are no course in UNSW that need a UAI of 55 to get in

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
In a way the UAI is a measure of your will to achieve, because granted that you study hard enough during the hsc, there is no reason why you should be denied a good UAI.

If you don't have the resolve to study for a good UAI in the hsc, then you will not have the resolve to study during uni, because success in uni is highly dependant on the will to stay in the game, otherwise you drop out.

Maybe you might want to consider mature age entry. By then you may have figured out why you want to go to uni.

hoyts

HSC
N/A
So,

I currently have an extremely busy schedule, i travel ALOT, i'm doing very well financialy for a 17 year old.

The thing is if it all fails I will have nothing and then i will become a bus driver.

That's why I dont think I can really sit down and study hard to get the UAI i would really need ( 85 )

I also currently attend the Australain Institue of music, and the school sucks academicaly i've been told the highest UAI was 75 .. and they charge you 13 k a year for crappy education.

So i'm looking at moving schools now, but what's the point if I cant get the UAI..

That's why I was curious if they would accept money :p

Do they accept money overseas into unis ?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
does your school have a careers advisor?

If so, please ask him/her about options to get into uni.

Do you live far from school? Is that why you travel a lot?

Do you work a lot? Is this why you have a busy schedule?

hoyts

HSC
N/A
I live very close to my school.. 2 Minute bus ride.. It's in central city Sydney.

I work alot - I'm a muscian so i travel international alot.. and my schedule just randomly changes alot.

No we don't have a careers advisor, you would just speak to the principal, as I said the school sucks & fails at being a school.

rolror88

HSC
N/A
What about the Con? I don't know about their enrolements, but it may be a better alternative then AIM.

hoyts

HSC
N/A
I intend to study Advertising / Media / Marketing something along this lines. Or just business / economics..

Not sure what pathways is, i'm not interested at sports at all.

And as for the CON i'm not interested for anything performance based anymore.

I have enquired into Newington & Scotts. To start ASAP or to start for year 12.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
in that case you would do well to move to a school other than the one you are currently at.

You should have a little faith. If you are determined you will get into the course you want to study for.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Personally I've never went into a situation where my marks weren't sufficient to get me into my 1st preference degree.

But I'll tell you what, many Year 12 students make the misconception that they'll get a UAI of 50. When Dec arrives, its a total shocker.

If you're basing your assumptions of a 50 UAI on your current school assessments (i.e. failing every single one, or having like the last rank for every subject), then I'd highly recommend you to:

1/ Go to Tafe (Do 1 year then achieve a good GPA, bounce into first year UNSW or Foundation Year UNSW).

2/ Re-Do HSC

3/ Go apply for the special programs like sibt (foundation year stuff) this is for MacQ Uni. And the UWS STAT test which lets you slot in if you've got a low UAI.

Yes UNSW still has DFEE places otherwise known as FFP places, but there's only a difference of 5 UAI points~ from the CSP places.

i.e. UNSW Medical Science in 05 had an 85 UAI CSP, but 80 UAI for DFEE.

Really though, its hard to fail the HSC unless if you really don't put any effort at all.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
sorry, how do you plan to pass at uni if you don't have the time to get a decent HSC mark?

or are your circumstances going to be different by then?

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Every University has its own foundation year. You could regard Foundation as your personal UAI mark to get into that uni.

i.e. If I achieved 75 in UNSW Foundation year, and say UNSW Medical Science only requires 67 for foundation year students. Then I would be granted the enrolment into UNSW medical science the year after Foundation Year.

Usually Foundation year is for international students, or students who have NOT done the following:

> International Bacclu (IB)
> Year 12 Qualifications

80% of Foundation Year students are Internationals, while the remaining are those who have achieved extremely low marks for their UAI. Google Foundation Year UNSW, it'll tell you all about.

Two important things:

> You need to do a test to get into foundation year.
> Doing a foundation year at UNSW will ONLY get you into UNSW Degrees. It will not get you into USYD Degrees for example. And vice versa - Doing USYD Foundation year will ONLY get you into USYD Degrees.

I hope this provides some clarification to ppls here :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Just curious, why will there be no DFEE places next year? I thought that's how uni gets money?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)