UNSW Law High Achievers Reception (1 Viewer)

khfreakau

HSC
so who went? thoughts?

i thought it was pretty social, nice relaxing evening, and it was pretty good to meet some new people.

michaeljennings

HSC
Yeahhh I thought it was pretty good, but I'm still unsure if I wanna do Law or not? Like I know its prestigious and what not but I dont think I can be as good as the guys on 'Suits'

bladeys

HSC
N/A
BRO i only had 99 I was fucking devo i didn't get the call. I was plannign to bomb the place but how could i bomb such smart people eh. All those geniuses clearly if you dont get above 99.7 ATAR you dont deserve to get a job. Why are we even alive.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Yeahhh I thought it was pretty good, but I'm still unsure if I wanna do Law or not? Like I know its prestigious and what not but I dont think I can be as good as the guys on 'Suits'
I assure that Law is not a prestigious career path. If you aren't interested in Law, avoid it like the plague.

michaeljennings

HSC
BRO i only had 99 I was fucking devo i didn't get the call. I was plannign to bomb the place but how could i bomb such smart people eh. All those geniuses clearly if you dont get above 99.7 ATAR you dont deserve to get a job. Why are we even alive.
cmon mate some of my friends woulda been in that building. But yeah I thought it was a bit rude how they didnt invite anyone who got below 99.7

Last edited:

michaeljennings

HSC
I assure that Law is not a prestigious career path. If you aren't interested in Law, avoid it like the plague.
But how come every asian parent wants their child to do med or law? Why is it not prestigious dont they earn a shitload?

Last edited:

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
But how come every asian parent wants their child to do med or law? Why is it no prestigious dont they earn a shitload?
Haha. Heard it's as boring as shit though. Even criminal law will bore the hell out of you (and that's supposedly one of the more interesting ones).

Still heaps of other options with 99.25 mate. :)

michaeljennings

HSC
Haha. Heard it's as boring as shit though. Even criminal law will bore the hell out of you (and that's supposedly one of the more interesting ones).
Yeah I heard you gotta do heaps and heaps of reading in uni if youre doing law. I read at snail pace anyway so i guess its good i cant do law

enoilgam

HSC
Law isnt like what it was 20 years ago. These days, there is a significant over-supply of graduates meaning that jobs are increasingly difficult to come by. Doing law for prestige/money/because you have the ATAR is a bad idea. The degree can be incredibly boring and you will struggle to put up with it for 5 years. AussieVesti is on the money, if you dont want to do it, avoid it like plague.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
But how come every asian parent wants their child to do med or law? Why is it not prestigious dont they earn a shitload?
Because they were previously regarded as jobs which were "secure". The realities of Law is that your pay is average, your hours are long, and it can get very mundane. Of course, the cream of the crop are well set-up and that is what most parents seem to view Law as. They look at what Law is marketed as and believe that is the reality. At the moment, there is an oversupply of law graduates and that is one of the reasons why combined degrees are the norm these days. That's why I recommend you don't do it unless you are passionate. My dad has been a lawyer for over 25 years and he still doesn't enjoy working in the industry. By all means do Law, but if you aren't extremely driven and motivated to make it in Law specifically, it isn't something to enjoy. '

tl;dr: Pick Law if you wish, but make sure the other half of your degree program is something you are uber passionate about.

michaeljennings

HSC
Because they were previously regarded as jobs which were "secure". The realities of Law is that your pay is average, your hours are long, and it can get very mundane. Of course, the cream of the crop are well set-up and that is what most parents seem to view Law as. They look at what Law is marketed as and believe that is the reality. At the moment, there is an oversupply of law graduates and that is one of the reasons why combined degrees are the norm these days. That's why I recommend you don't do it unless you are passionate. My dad has been a lawyer for over 25 years and he still doesn't enjoy working in the industry. By all means do Law, but if you aren't extremely driven and motivated to make it in Law specifically, it isn't something to enjoy. '

tl;dr: Pick Law if you wish, but make sure the other half of your degree program is something you are uber passionate about.
Oh wow that was an eye openner (no troll) I dont wanna do law anyway i was just trolling I wanna be an actuary

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Oh wow that was an eye openner (no troll) I dont wanna do law anyway i was just trolling I wanna be an actuary
Regardless, I think this still needs to be put out there to prevent people thinking they are using their ATAR efficiently by choosing to do Law.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Don't let my little diatribe mislead you though. I still think Law has its merits and working with my dad, I can see that there are some interesting things for the layperson. I just would not recommend it as a long-term career path for undergraduates unless they are extremely motivated. Law is much better studied as a Juris Doctor after gaining experience in other industries and picking up some things along the way. Law is very experience-based if you want to go into the interesting stuff so rather than getting disillusioned after graduation, they should study something else and then slot in law to open up new pathways which are compatible with your obtained experience. Mind you, I would strongly argue that the admissions for Law be reworked with an interview-based system used instead so that only the brightest and most passionate study from the outset. Law doesn't require strong academic smarts to excel in. I would argue that would belong to more of the Science/Engineering domain. Law is an area which demands persistence over long periods and strong communication. An ATAR is not an adequate measure for that.

acemusic415

HSC
I fucking love Suits. Made me consider commerce as a course to combine with law. But I don't know...

acemusic415

HSC
Hahah yea they make it seem like being a lawyer would be mad fun but I think AussieVesti has given us a better insight
Yeah definitely. Though it gave me an interest regarding commerce. Everybody at school complains how bad business studies and economics is and I guess that is the closest to a commerce degree. But after watching Suits, it seems completely interesting and worth considering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)