UNSW Med Sci- Is there scaling? (1 Viewer)

nottellingu

HSC
Hi there :)

I am deciding what subjects to pick for the first semester and I'm wondering if there is any sort of scaling at uni?

The reason I ask is because I intend to do medicine down the line (dont hate me) and would like to maintain as higher GPA/WAM as possible.

Am I more likely to get a HD doing CHEM1031(Higher chemistry) than if I did CHEM1011 (Essentials of Chemistry)?

Would the same apply to the elective math fundamentals vs higher math?

deadfishlol

HSC
N/A
As far as I know there is little/no scaling in anything besides COMP and MATH subjects.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hi there :)

I am deciding what subjects to pick for the first semester and I'm wondering if there is any sort of scaling at uni?

The reason I ask is because I intend to do medicine down the line (dont hate me) and would like to maintain as higher GPA/WAM as possible.

Am I more likely to get a HD doing CHEM1031(Higher chemistry) than if I did CHEM1011 (Essentials of Chemistry)?

Would the same apply to the elective math fundamentals vs higher math?
Generally there are more people getting HD and DN in advanced level courses because, again, generally speaking, students who pick the advanced stream are usually more abled.

nottellingu

HSC
Generally there are more people getting HD and DN in advanced level courses because, again, generally speaking, students who pick the advanced stream are usually more abled.
So there isnt any scaling?
If the student of the same ability pick essentials of chem are they more likey to get a higher mark than if they did higher chem?
How can I boost my WAM :)

Omar-Comin

HSC
N/A
So there isnt any scaling?
If the student of the same ability pick essentials of chem are they more likey to get a higher mark than if they did higher chem?
The people that will examine your transcript are not idiots..they know what the easy and hard subjects are. Getting a good WAM in easy subjects doesn't signal much to admission committees.

nottellingu

HSC
I dont think they are idiots!
They do however have to be politically correct (i think).

deadfishlol

HSC
N/A
The people that will examine your transcript are not idiots..they know what the easy and hard subjects are. Getting a good WAM in easy subjects doesn't signal much to admission committees.
Med admissions don't care what course(s) you did, just marks.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
By working hard and study. It's that simple.

There are only 2-3 courses in which advanced/fundamental levels are offered throughout your entire degree anyway so it won't have much impact on your WAM.

Tim035

HSC
It's not like standard vs. advanced English in high school, where standard kids basically can't get band 5 or 6. If you did hsc chemistry and got >80 and choose essentials of chemistry in first year, it is pretty easy to get a D or HD.

nottellingu

HSC
I;ve doen some more research and have heard from some med sci students that both essentials of chem and higher chem students sit the same paper except those who sit higher chem get to do some bonus questions? :bomb:
Is this true?

HSC
I;ve doen some more research and have heard from some med sci students that both essentials of chem and higher chem students sit the same paper except those who sit higher chem get to do some bonus questions? :bomb:
Is this true?
Not when I did it...
The difference between higher and essential was that the course was taught the other way around.

For example;
higher chem dd organice chem; essetials did gas and pressure

in 2nd semester
higher chem did gas/pressure + research project; wilst essentials suffered with organic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)