UNSW Medicine: Whats so good about it? (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
christoph said:
I don't think you realise how important research is becoming to the clinical practice of medicine. All the medical colleges are reviewing their curricula with greater emphasis on research, and trainees, like ObsGyn trainees for example, now must undertake a research project as part of their training. Having an introduction to research methods at uni is quite beneficial for the future.

In fact, UNSW is developing partnership programs with some of the colleges to give UNSW graduates advanced standing in training later on so I wouldn't look at this part of the course as a waste of time.
Actualli the RACS is shifting AWAY from that.. they want other skills.. most RACP programs have had research give u bonus points..

I have heard about the UNSW thing.. but most ppl just do a masters or PhD or MD... its not that bad.. even i do my topics in the summer.. i think if ure med school has to do it for u.. is shows that the grads have lil incentive to be free thinking and make their own effort..

christoph

Dumb Blonde
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
i think if ure med school has to do it for u.. is shows that the grads have lil incentive to be free thinking and make their own effort..
haha to suggest that is simply ludicrous. These kind of agreements have only begun because the workforce shortage has forced the colleges and unis to look at novel approaches of attracting students and doctors to specialties in particularly strong need of more numbers. UNSW isn't spoon-feeding grads into specialties. All this does is give you advanced standing. It still requires 'free thinking' and determination to fulfill the entry requirements of this program. initiate a decent research project in the required area and then actually pass the college exams to get into the specialty you want after you've graduated.

Essentially I don't think you can make any claims about the quality of the students just because a uni is attempting to help rectify a workforce shortage. Obviously one may be critical of the program itself, but nevertheless I think it's a start in the right direction.

RTTTYTR

HSC
With the shortage in the market, the uni you attend won't make a lick of difference.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
christoph said:
Essentially I don't think you can make any claims about the quality of the students just because a uni is attempting to help rectify a workforce shortage. Obviously one may be critical of the program itself, but nevertheless I think it's a start in the right direction.
merely highlighting that colleges value clinical training and post-grad research more than undergrad work..

if u look at the RACS points.. u get more for a RACS meeting presentation than a Masters in general.. unless its a very clinical Masters.. usually a M.S..

i acknowledge that RACP and other colleges do things differently.. but im pointing out the exceptions and the possible shifts in trainee intake.

im not sayin that UNSW is not moving in the right direction.. but they seem to be honking it louder than it might be necessary... this is a good move to gain the best yr 12 graduates.. but we are here to extend advice based on experience to the HSC student.. allowing an informed decision.

this is like unis announcing the full fee places.. and making it "MORE PLACES IN MEDICINE"... fine print reads: the Aust govt does not guarantee u intern places..

a bit of skepticism in medicine isnt bad. look at the -coxibs and all our miracle drugs :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)