• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UNSW O Week and O week in general (Semester 2). Is this okay? (1 Viewer)

wb47

HSC
Hey guys,

I start uni soon and my orientation starts on the 11th (for UNSW) and would like some of your thoughts on it , for example I only plan to go to my faculty welcome and the campus tour and perhaps the Official University Welcome. Will this be okay? I don't necessarily want to go if it isn't really essential.

To those who go to UNSW would it be okay to just attend these 2 or 3 events to get me started in uni life?

Thank you!

tambam

HSC
From what I've heard the faculty welcomes are pretty crap and they just read generic crap off powerpoints.

Campus tour is probably the most useful, but not essential if you already have friends who can show you around once uni starts.

So yeah, definitely not worth going to unless you want to join clubs/get free stuff

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Not essential, 3rd year student and never been to an o-week and doning just fine.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Campus tour you might want to go for.

O-Week Semester 2, I've heard - isn't that great. But... I might be going this year, so I'll decide for myself. So should you.

HSC
Uni Grad
i found it a nice to meet the people who will be studying with you

some of my uni friends were those i met at the faculty welcome

wb47

HSC
Hey guys I decided I want to go to O-week but I couldn't find much information on getting there, also finding finding buildings, there will be people there helping out newcomers like me... right?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
O-Week Semester 2 isn't really O-Week. Come on O-Day which is Wednesday, that's where most people will be. And I assume helpers will be there too.

And uhh, you take the 891/895 bus from Eddy Avenue at Central to get to the uni. Or any 39x bus.

Also you can get a map from the UNSW website.

wb47

HSC
Thanks but I am told the buses are prepaid only, where do I purchase it and what is a cheap travel option for me as I will be travelling via Train > Central?

My friend recommended MyMulti but I've no idea which route/number to buy.

wb47

HSC
ill be going 5 days a week but what is the difference between traveltens and mymulti?

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
travelten is just a bus ticket, you're going to need to purchase a train ticket too if you're travelling by train
mymulti includes both train and bus, you can basically use it anywhere within your zone and as many times as you want before it expires

wb47

HSC
Okay thanks but what would you suggest I buy If I am going there for Orientation and classes doesn't begin until the week after? and also since I am going 5 days weekly, would you recommend MyMulti weekly pass after I get my Student ID?

Thanks

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
if you're going just one day, maybe go with a return train ticket and 2x single mybus2 (which can be bought at the same places as travelten)

mymulti is prob the best way thereafter but idk, I haven't really calculated before

wb47

HSC
Oh I see so will I buy one ticket with 2 prepaid credit or 2 separate cards? I really don't know why UNSW doesn't give much detailed information on this.

Thanks again!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you're going all five days - just get a MyMulti. It's more convenient.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)