• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UNSW Open Day 2009 (4 Viewers)

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
That evil guy didn't even use a train though, he used some weird open cylinder looking thing ><"
lol true!
atleast we saw some sort of an awesome liquid nitrogen experiment :D

gotta love the meissner effect =)

astroe

HSC
When I went in the morning, they had a train! :)
Here's what it looks like;

Pics!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
^
That looks awesome! I'll upload the vid i took of the random cylinder thing later :)

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
woah, it looks heaps awesome with the train!
but due to annie's fail navigation skills, we ended up going towards the end of the day :mad1:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
woah, it looks heaps awesome with the train!
but due to annie's fail navigation skills, we ended up going towards the end of the day :mad1:
I will be sure to give Annie a punch ASAP for making us miss the epic train being used :)

5233andy

HSC
I think that I'm a UNSW convert...

I spent the day in business lectures and none of them bored me.

I was also surprised at how green the grass was... Compared with my visit of UTS, last week, their City campus had a small patch of grass in which they couldn't manage to keep alive.

astroe

HSC
It was the fairy floss that drew me towards that area!
Then I'm like "OH look, its the Maglev train!"

It was windy in the morning and the fairy floss blew out of the tank thing when the lady was trying to put it on the stick. :haha:

HSC
if you want finance, do not pick unsw.. i repeat DO NOT PICK UNSW FOR FINANCE

every other major is awesome, just not finance.. take my word

Uncle

Banned
HSC
holy fucking shit that magnetic track is BIGGER this year.
years back when i went to the open day it was merely bigger than a 24 inch widescreen LCD in circumference.

omg, when im in 3rd or 4th year i can study superconductors moar.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Hahaha the superconducting train was less exciting than I thought :(
I dunno, I reckon it should've been set up in a more flashy way? Was pretty interesting though, watched for 5 minutes straight and laughing when it started failing hehe
Richard Buckland is amazing :D

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
if you want finance, do not pick unsw.. i repeat DO NOT PICK UNSW FOR FINANCE

every other major is awesome, just not finance.. take my word
LOL @ you: i remember having this conversation with you about finance =P

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Anything to do with Kingsley Fong and the way he teaches? :p

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
the infamous names are

henry yip and kingsley fong.

ultimate pricks...

HSC
+1.

Can you explain Casmira, cause after yesterday, I'm liking the idea of B Eco (Financial Economics/Finance).
lecturers are really really really bad, almost all finance subjects i do have no formal way of you to test your knowledge. for instance im doing fins3640 atm and the exam is based on purely what the lecturer has said, that involves me rote learning his notes.. u know how fucking boring/stupid that is? its doable, hell it might even be easier than asking a bunch of questions but its the lazy-lecturer's way out of making you learn properly.
we learn through question and challenges, not memorising the notes

ive had to do the above tactic a bunch of times, a tactic im not used to. i prefer to challenge myself but considering the book doesnt even follow hte notes im fucked

in saying that, ive talked to every major firm/bank at careers day. rocked up in semi casual suit and all for them to take me serious and every single one of them does not care about the university, only marks -- if macq has better teaching style and you're an audial learner like me then go there. the masters of applied finance program (at macq) also very highly regarded amongst the banks but you'll still be considered with the rest of hte canidates for applying at a bank.

HEED my advice, i went shit first 2 years only now im pulling Cr/D but too little to late unfortunatley

finance also leaves big holes if you are like me and did general maths. it is no fluke that everyone i know doing honours at finance is also doing a maths degree on the side, to them they are learning same shit twice when doing finance

i know this cause i went from intro stats -> financial econometrics (very hard stats) and now i find my other stats courses (and even some finance ones) piss easy

also really look into if you like finance. its not all about you graduate and you are an investment banker, there are (from memory) only 20,000 positions in the world that are IB's, (this isnt alot if you REALLY think about it). IB's are highly regarded like CFO and CEO so it isnt as easy as getting a local maccas manager job.

i personally think its a boring peice of shit and if i could go back in time i'd pick medicine. people are getting fired left right and centre i hope for your sake that the it picks up by the time you guys graduate.

one more peice of advice, if youre passionite do it! but GET HIGH MARKS FROM DAY ONE, HONOURS = TUTORING POSITION AT UNI = SETS YOU UP FOR EMPLOYMENT

good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)