UNSW Optometry + alternative pathways (1 Viewer)

duplicity

HSC
I just have a few questions about the Bachelor of Optometry/Bachelor of Science degree at UNSW.

First of all, while an ATAR of 95 is needed to be competitive and UMAT is also taken into consideration, what is generally the scores of people who are offered a place into optometry? What were the admission requirements for this year? Also does EAS have any effect on the possibility of being offered a place?

For the alternative entry pathway via BSc Vision Science, approximately how many students will be able to enter Optometry through this pathway? Is this process difficult? And what are the general requirements to be selected for this? For example will an ATAR of 91 be sufficient enough to be offered a place into second year optometry if UMAT and WAM scores are high enough?

Also how is the quality of the staff and the faculty in general? And the job opportunities? For current or previous optometry students, would you recommend others to study this degree?

I've researched quite a bit on this but I was just wondering looking for more opinions, especially from the perspective of an optometry student or someone who knows a person studying optometry.

Thank you.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
I know someone who got offered a spot with a very low UMAT and a 94 ATAR. But mind you, he also had AAA scholarship. I know for sure, HSC Plus is definitely not applicable to this course, not sure about EAS.

In terms of competitiveness via the pathway, it is highly competitive with only a small one digit percentage going through.

Most of these questions could probably answered by just giving the school a quick ring:

Telephone: +61 2 9385 4639
Email: optometry@unsw.edu.au

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
I know someone who got offered a spot with a very low UMAT and a 94 ATAR. But mind you, he also had AAA scholarship. I know for sure, HSC Plus is definitely not applicable to this course, not sure about EAS.

In terms of competitiveness via the pathway, it is highly competitive with only a small one digit percentage going through.

Most of these questions could probably answered by just giving the school a quick ring:

Telephone: +61 2 9385 4639
Email: optometry@unsw.edu.au

AAA doesn't apply to med or optom.

As for OP's question I think you need at least 70 in umat but i'm guessing the lower your umat score the higher your atar will need to be

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
AAA doesn't apply to med or optom.

As for OP's question I think you need at least 70 in umat but i'm guessing the lower your umat score the higher your atar will need to be
His UMAT was legit <40 and his ATAR was 94... wonder how he got in if AAA doesn't apply? o_O

^^ Legit question btw. If AAA doesn't apply, does that mean he doesn't get the $4k?

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
His UMAT was legit <40 and his ATAR was 94... wonder how he got in if AAA doesn't apply? o_O

^^ Legit question btw. If AAA doesn't apply, does that mean he doesn't get the $4k?
You still get the money but no bonus points for med/optom

Kittikhun

HSC
Hello.

I have a friend at UNSW who currently studies 3rd year Optom. He has read your post, and through my account has tried his best to answer your queries. Here is his reply:

Ok, what Uniqueness has said on the forum is true, that is how I got in, but whether the AAA scholarship will apply for next year's intake, I do not know. As for the alternative pathway, it seems like all the ones who went along that pathway seem to have made it with their wam above 75; don't know about their ATAR though. Also, just because you are from a selective high school and you have a high ATAR doesn't necessarily mean that you will cruise through the optom course. I know a couple of persons from James Ruse who have failed twice already. With regard to the content of the course, they have changed it quite a bit for 1st year, and I seem to like it more. It has more emphasis on eye disease early on with integration of whole body anatomy, I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)