UNSW or USYD (1 Viewer)

UNSW or USYD

• Total voters

Dabeast

HSC
Hey guys,

So I managed to achieve an ATAR of 92 for the HSC which allowed me to have the opportunity (with bonus points) to apply for a double degree in engineering (mechatronics) and commerce (probs will be finance) at either UNSW or USYD. I am not sure which is the better uni out of the two but from what I've heard from a lot of people (idk if its reliable lol), UNSW is the better option. At the same time, I have heard that USYD has better connections to international engineering companies whilst UNSW has better connections to national engineering companies. Other factors such as travel and friends aren't regarded here since travel is literally only a 10 mins difference and I have basically the same amount of friends going to both (I'm hoping to make new ones anyways :D). I am hoping to have a really good and active social life at uni so that is also a big factor that I'm considering. Also, IDK why but the engo/comm double degree is 5.7 years at UNSW and only 5 years at USYD.

PLS help me 🙏

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,

So I managed to achieve an ATAR of 92 for the HSC which allowed me to have the opportunity (with bonus points) to apply for a double degree in engineering (mechatronics) and commerce (probs will be finance) at either UNSW or USYD. I am not sure which is the better uni out of the two but from what I've heard from a lot of people (idk if its reliable lol), UNSW is the better option. At the same time, I have heard that USYD has better connections to international engineering companies whilst UNSW has better connections to national engineering companies. Other factors such as travel and friends aren't regarded here since travel is literally only a 10 mins difference and I have basically the same amount of friends going to both (I'm hoping to make new ones anyways :D). I am hoping to have a really good and active social life at uni so that is also a big factor that I'm considering. Also, IDK why but the engo/comm double degree is 5.7 years at UNSW and only 5 years at USYD.

PLS help me 🙏
For Comm/Engi UNSW is regarded as being 'better' however both unis are amazing and the difference is negligible. Both have excellent connections and are very well accredited. So just go with whichever one you think is better for you because in terms of academics there is no noticeable difference.

sida1049

HSC
Yeah, I abstain from voting here since I also think both unis are more or less just as fine for what you want to study. Maybe make your choice based on the specific degree structure/units.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Trimesters vs Semesters is also another factor to consider.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Is UNSW the only one that has trimester? how bout UTS and USYD?
UTS has trimesters too, but they transitioned to that model like 3-4 years ago so most of the teething problems and people complaining are gone. Both universities suddenly launched their trimester systems (e.g. staff and subjects didn't have time to adjust) and received a lot of backlash, that has all subsided at UTS but there is still a lot of animosity about the change at UNSW.

Note also that UTS and UNSW trimesters took different approaches, UTS has three even length semesters with a reduced offering (but gradually expanding) over summer -- summer is generally considered optional. The main difference was a slight reduction in the length of autumn/spring semesters to increase the length of summer and equalise the semester lengths. The concerns were about internship timing (one outcome was teaching remained on the old calendar) and courses where the content was prescribed externally (e.g. Cisco networking courses).

UNSW has three trimesters AND a shortened summer semester with reduced offering. I believe the summer semester itself is optional, but students are expected to take subjects over the other 3 trimesters. The length of the semesters had to be cut quite a bit as a result and there has been a lot of concerns about assessment stress and/or courses dropping content or losing rigour if they are adjusted to the new model.

Usyd is still following the traditional 2 semesters + shortened summer with reduced offering from my understanding. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if other unis start experimenting with other models too.

sida1049

HSC
I think for now USYD's semester system is pretty safe. The last change they did was back in 2017/2018, where they increased winter holidays from 4 weeks to 6 weeks, with the rationale that by doing so it would be easier for our periods to synchronise with overseas universities so as to encourage more students to take on opportunities overseas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)