UNSW or UTS for science? (1 Viewer)

rawrliongirl

HSC
Okay so I got guaranteed entry to UNSW Bachelor of Science.
I'm wondering whether to opt for UNSW or UTS. I was thinking of doing something to do with biomedical science - which is a degree at UTS..but all I can see at UNSW is biomedical engineering or majoring in biomed in the B Science course.
I was wondering what others recommend.
Would it be foolish to turn down UNSW?
The only thing making my decision more difficult is the fact that UTS have much newer facilities, including the new superlab and new lecture theatres and whatnot. I've been to UNSW labs, they aren't bad but aren't as updated as UTS'.
Is there much difference in terms of lecturers, practical lessons etc?
I've heard that UTS is more practical in its teaching with science? And their graduates are better able to apply their practical knowledge?
And as for student support, a current UNSW student told me that there isn't much support for students and most of the time they are left to their own devices for things including internships and whatnot, whereas UTS gives you a little more help. Is this true?
This is probably one of the hardest decisions of my life lol. UNSW has been my dream Uni since year 8/9 but after seeing the new science facilities at UTS i don't know what to do anymore. :/
I understand that UNSW is one of the top unis and some may be biased towards it because of its 'elite' status, but I want to see what would be a better option for the path I want to take.
Thanks~

MysteryMoon

HSC
Hey! ^^
Altho I don't have advice on what uni you should choose, I'll tell you why I came to end up choosing biomed science at uts.
Biomedical science at UTS is actually my first preference and it's something that I really hope to get into. I'm hoping to get into a career in diagnostic medical laboratories which was why i chose this course. I actually wanted to go to Usyd so bad because of how it looked and since some of my friends will be attending there. However, it didn't have any science courses like biomed and only uts and few other unis have it. Cuz my desired career involves a lot of practical work in the labs, uts has the best equipment for it and yuo get to do a lot of practicals, and it's good for employment since you have that ability. I'm not sure if UNSW has it too.
That's all I know tho :)

rawrliongirl

HSC
Hey! ^^
Altho I don't have advice on what uni you should choose, I'll tell you why I came to end up choosing biomed science at uts.
Biomedical science at UTS is actually my first preference and it's something that I really hope to get into. I'm hoping to get into a career in diagnostic medical laboratories which was why i chose this course. I actually wanted to go to Usyd so bad because of how it looked and since some of my friends will be attending there. However, it didn't have any science courses like biomed and only uts and few other unis have it. Cuz my desired career involves a lot of practical work in the labs, uts has the best equipment for it and yuo get to do a lot of practicals, and it's good for employment since you have that ability. I'm not sure if UNSW has it too.
That's all I know tho :)
Ooh wouldn't it be awesome if we ended up doing the same thing? Haha!
That's really the only reason why I'm considering UTS over UNSW -their newer facilities and equipment as well as their supposed more practical take on things. Also because I'm lazy and going to UTS would mean only one train ride as opposed to a train and then waiting for a bus for UNSW (Which I heard can be quite packed out and busy).

MysteryMoon

HSC
Ooh wouldn't it be awesome if we ended up doing the same thing? Haha!
That's really the only reason why I'm considering UTS over UNSW -their newer facilities and equipment as well as their supposed more practical take on things. Also because I'm lazy and going to UTS would mean only one train ride as opposed to a train and then waiting for a bus for UNSW (Which I heard can be quite packed out and busy).
I've been taking the bus to and fro school for the last six years ever since year seven and it's been so frustrating! So when I heard that UNSW requires long hours of bus rides, I knew it was definitely not for me. I simply do not want to handle another four years of taking the bus for even longer periods again xD (plus I sleep in too much)
You know, I realised we have like similar thoughts xD but yeah, I was also considering whether the teaching is better in Usyd or UNSW compared to UTS, but I guess it all comes down to studying hard and doing what you enjoy regardless.
It'll be cool if we actually both got into biomed science at uts and meet each other ^^

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
geez you sensitive touchy people

OMG I DON'T WANT TO TAKE A BUS WTF IS THAT

It's a nice easy 15 minute bus ride that is not packed if you know when to take it, and there are other alternative buses to take as well

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
I really don't think you should choose a uni out of convenience when you are concerned about one less bus ride etc. There are much more important things to consider.

MysteryMoon

HSC
I really don't think you should choose a uni out of convenience when you are concerned about one less bus ride etc. There are much more important things to consider.
I didn't decide to not choose unsw just because of the bus rides, it's just that the uni is not my type ( everyone has different tastes in different unis, right?) UTS has new equipment and does practicals that are important to the career that I aim to have. I'm not sure if Usyd also do a lot of practicals because i don't have relatives who do science attend usyd. Anywho my atar isnt high enough for the science course i want for usyd and unsw anyways.

MysteryMoon

HSC

It's a nice easy 15 minute bus ride that is not packed if you know when to take it, and there are other alternative buses to take as well
That's your opinion. I have my own.

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Biomedical science? Why not try do medical science or advanced science and do bio majors? like molecular and cell biology, biochemistry, genetics, pathology or microbiology and immunology?

I remain to say UNSW is better than UTS :) --> That is why i'm going there next year :D

rawrliongirl

HSC
As I'd mentioned earlier one of the biggest considerations was UTS' new facilities...not the bus ride... That's just one small factor....

rawrliongirl

HSC

Not helpful lol

rawrliongirl

HSC
Biomedical science? Why not try do medical science or advanced science and do bio majors? like molecular and cell biology, biochemistry, genetics, pathology or microbiology and immunology?

I remain to say UNSW is better than UTS :) --> That is why i'm going there next year :D
My ATAR ain't high enough for adv. sci at both UTS and UNSW :c even with bonus points.
Cos I don't know exactly what I'd want to major in, I'm pretty lost. I'm just interested in biomed type stuff idk. .

rawrliongirl

HSC
I've been taking the bus to and fro school for the last six years ever since year seven and it's been so frustrating! So when I heard that UNSW requires long hours of bus rides, I knew it was definitely not for me. I simply do not want to handle another four years of taking the bus for even longer periods again xD (plus I sleep in too much)
You know, I realised we have like similar thoughts xD but yeah, I was also considering whether the teaching is better in Usyd or UNSW compared to UTS, but I guess it all comes down to studying hard and doing what you enjoy regardless.
It'll be cool if we actually both got into biomed science at uts and meet each other ^^
LMAOOO tell me about it, the bus I took to and from school was famous (amongst the students of all the schools in the area) for being the most packed, most rowdy bus there was ! :'D seriously though..the kids on tha bus made one of the bus drivers cry because they were that bad. It was hell ~_~ even if it is a short trip to UNSW, if it were packed I'd die lol.
Haha yeah it would be cool :L

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
My ATAR ain't high enough for adv. sci at both UTS and UNSW :c even with bonus points.
Cos I don't know exactly what I'd want to major in, I'm pretty lost. I'm just interested in biomed type stuff idk. .
Biomed is pretty much the same as med sci

LMAOOO tell me about it, the bus I took to and from school was famous (amongst the students of all the schools in the area) for being the most packed, most rowdy bus there was ! :'D seriously though..the kids on tha bus made one of the bus drivers cry because they were that bad. It was hell ~_~ even if it is a short trip to UNSW, if it were packed I'd die lol.
Haha yeah it would be cool :L
We have our own buses so there's no shitty school kids
there's only shitty first yrs who still behave like school kids

sinophile

HSC
N/A
not sure how it is for biomedical science but i recommend unsw (probably too late to tell you this anyway). the prestige of the university, the quality of teachers and quality of students is better than at uts. and maybe uts facilities are newer but unsw facilities are also new, its not like they have horrible facilities, they have pretty nice ones. higher quality of teachers means easier time in learning things and better choice of honours supervisors. main drawback of unsw is the bus ride which adds inconvenience, but can be gotten used to.

rawrliongirl

HSC
After a semester at UNSW, getting mediocre marks and failing a subject I feel like it's just too hectic and stressful here tbh.

Flop21

HSC
After a semester at UNSW, getting mediocre marks and failing a subject I feel like it's just too hectic and stressful here tbh.
What subjects did you do, and what one did you fail? Don't worry my marks were shit too, I just wasn't prepared at all for uni. Now you know what it's like, you can do better next sem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)