UNSW or UTS, that is the question... (1 Viewer)

micuzzo

HSC
ok i no i have made a similar thread already (ie in my sig) but now things have changed...

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I want to study engineering and was planning to do so at UNSW BUT now UTS has offered me a scholarship.... should i take it or leave it n go to UNSW.

I wanted to go to UNSW bcoz of the presetige factor n bcoz its so much nicer than UTS. i have been to UTS twice and twice i was not impressed... its so ugly in there and their engineering faculty is nothing, compared to UNSW. [however i cannot comment on the quality of the teaching at UTS but i would say it is pretty similar to UNSW so i guess it doesnt matter wat the atmosphere at UTS is like]. That being sed UTS has the great advantage of being so close to central st and to the city in general.

can anybody give me advice... wat would you do?

thanks

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer, the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them.

Baggygreen408

HSC
I was thinking along the same lines- I to want to study engineering and have been offered a scholarship at UTS.

I made my decision to go to UTS a few months ago- because UTS provides practical internships with their engineering courses which provide important skills that make you more likely to be employed when finsihing the degree. From speaking to tecahers at my school- one who studied engineering at UNSW, the amount of travel was immense- he had to complete work on the train as he travelled to and from uni because it was so far- where as UTS as you said is so close- dont need a bus to UNSW, and right in the heart of the city if you need to do other stuff in the city.

Ultimately, a degree is a degree, but i have chosen UTS because of the practical experience they provide thorugh their engineering courses- whilst being renonwed internationally in some areas for engineering.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
To die, to sleep no more. And by a sleep to say we end, the heartache and the thousand natural shocks, That flesh is heir to. Tis a consumation. Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep, to sleep, perchance to dream, Ay theres the rub.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Put it this way mate.
Scholarship > no scholarship
1 year of experience that UTS offers > no experience that UNSW offers.

Employers value practical experience over theory. And practical experience is what you will get a UTS.
And forget prestige. Prestige is a means of feeding ones ego

Baggygreen408

HSC
put it this way mate.
1 year of experience that uts offers > no experience that unsw offers.

Employers value practical experience over theory. And practical experience is what you will get a uts.
+1

micuzzo

HSC
Put it this way mate.
1 year of experience that UTS offers > no experience that UNSW offers.

Employers value practical experience over theory. And practical experience is what you will get a UTS.

hmm well its not all about prestige but UNSW seems soo much better than UTS. I mean the lifts dont even work at UTS lol...

yes UTS does offer the experience which i thought was very good... but i have spoken to some ppl hu hav sed that the internships were not good at all, ie not much 'engineering' work was done at all... more like photocopying stuff...

ps please stop reciting hamlet...

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
scholarship = money = free uni

do the smart thing. take the scholarship. just think- no hecs fees once your an engineer working in your field!

micuzzo

HSC
scholarship = money = free uni

do the smart thing. take the scholarship. just think- no hecs fees once your an engineer working in your field!
unfortunately i dont think the scholarship is enough to cover the cost of the course... pitty..

shuttle_bus5

HSC
hmm well its not all about prestige but UNSW seems soo much better than UTS. I mean the lifts dont even work at UTS lol...

yes UTS does offer the experience which i thought was very good... but i have spoken to some ppl hu hav sed that the internships were not good at all, ie not much 'engineering' work was done at all... more like photocopying stuff...

ps please stop reciting hamlet...
I think your looking at UNSW for the wrong things.
The lifts don't work? Big deal, you have got legs.
Work is work mate. If you can put on your resume you have had a years experience at an engineering firm, regardless off what work you actually did their, you are still miles ahead of everyone else.
I think ultimately what it comes down to is what you want.
Do you want free uni, a quality education, something close to the city, and a years of work experience or do you want to be able to say you went to UNSW?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lol - if its no scholarship vs scholarship @ uts, u might as well go uts.

prestige only gets you so far (i.e. 1cm)

M@ster P

HSC
would you rather graduate one year ealier, get a job and work for one year and earn more money or stay at uni for one more year and do work experience with less money?

HSC
UNSW definitely
The campus is much better compared to UTS imo
The reputation is heaps good in UNSW

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
would you rather graduate one year ealier, get a job and work for one year and earn more money or stay at uni for one more year and do work experience with less money?
you end up at the same place..

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
+1

UNSW definitely
The campus is much better compared to UTS imo
The reputation is heaps good in UNSW
Hehe yeah, but scholarships are tempting.

@OP - what scholarship are you getting exactly? Just asking because there are many scholarships available and my reply would depend on which specific scholarship is being offered.

micuzzo

HSC
I think your looking at UNSW for the wrong things.
The lifts don't work? Big deal, you have got legs
Work is work mate. If you can put on your resume you have had a years experience at an engineering firm, regardless off what work you actually did their, you are still miles ahead of everyone else.
I think ultimately what it comes down to is what you want.
Do you want free uni, a quality education, something close to the city, and a years of work experience or do you want to be able to say you went to UNSW?
lol... i think u dnt understand wat im trying to say... i mean that UTS is meant to b a top noch uni but something as simple as the lifts dont work as a norm [literally]

dont get me wrong this is not the reason i would choose UNSW over UTS... but its simple things like that, that hav given me a bad impression of UTS.[now i cannot judge on their teaching but if simple things like that arent 100% who is guaranteeing that their teaching is 100%] However i hav been to UNSW over 7 times these last few months and was always impressed. I dunno... i once was leaning to UTS however as of late i had decided UNSW was for me.. but now this scholarship has rekindled my thoughts for UTS.

I guess however i would sacrifice the work experience at UTS for the better facilities and a nicer environment at UNSW

micuzzo

HSC
+1

Hehe yeah, but scholarships are tempting.

@OP - what scholarship are you getting exactly? Just asking because there are many scholarships available and my reply would depend on which specific scholarship is being offered.
Coop for mech eng... 12000$ for 1 year... its ok... but one culd work and probably earn a similar amount...

M@ster P

HSC
lol... i think u dnt understand wat im trying to say... i mean that UTS is meant to b a top noch uni but something as simple as the lifts dont work as a norm [literally]

dont get me wrong this is not the reason i would choose UNSW over UTS... but its simple things like that, that hav given me a bad impression of UTS.[now i cannot judge on their teaching but if simple things like that arent 100% who is guaranteeing that their teaching is 100%] However i hav been to UNSW over 7 times these last few months and was always impressed. I dunno... i once was leaning to UTS however as of late i had decided UNSW was for me.. but now this scholarship has rekindled my thoughts for UTS.

I guess however i would sacrifice the work experience at UTS for the better facilities and a nicer environment at UNSW
I was like you full wanting to go to UTS but then I am not considering UNSW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)