UNSW planning to discontinue Masters in Psychology??? (1 Viewer)

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX

Re: Should I do the "BA-Psych/B Law" to become a Psychologist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kami
USYD doesn't even have a Masters in Psych and they seem to have discontinued their Doctorates in Psych as well. =/

Oh yes! I had a discussion about this very topic with someone a few weeks ago. Psych Masters is apparently in a little trouble - Or, to be more precise, psychology in Australia in general is going through a bit of a phase that Europe went through a decade ago. This, however, seems to be particularly in the realm of Counselling Psychology than Clinical Psychology (Though, while i intend to pursue the latter, IMO the former is perhaps so much more relevant in the world). To summarise why this is so, let me take you on an incoherent rant made up of rumours. Some of this is probably wrong, but at least be entertained:

*You know how currently Medicare allows some psychology sessions in the package now (you get a few psych session for free)? apparently this has refuelled the distinction of psychology being an arts VS science - or in other words, the counselling VS clinical branches of psychology. The latter, clinical psychology being 'medical' and thus is currently being aided by medicare, while the former isnt. Apparently this has helped clinical psychology but has hit a nail in the coffin somewhat in the case of counselling. Apparently, Europe went through this 10 years ago and only recently is psychology in a better position now. Apparently Australia is 10 years behind. As a consequence, universities are putting more towards clinical psych and putting less into counselling Master Degrees.

*I hear from a good source that ALL of the Psych masters degrees in MAQ have lost money this year. And no university likes to have degrees that result in them losing money. Apparently this is the case for other universties, and as a consequence (as somebody has already pointed out) Usyd no longer has Psych Master programs. I think this is also true for UNSW.

*From a source who was present in an important MAQ psych meeting and overheard the general attitudes of the academics - namely that of Head of Department, Julie Fitness - apparently (and surprisingly, given that she is a Social Psychologist - a branch of psychology that i have often referred to as the 'Airy Fairy' Area of Psychology in Denial of its irrelevance to the individual) she believes that psychology in the science spectrum is worth its value. As such, this is one reason why the Counselling Masters Program at Maq will not be available in 2007 (i dont think i mentioned that yet, did I?). I personally like all branches of psychology, including Social, but i do think its important to to accept that it isn't strictly sciency, and that the difference between Social to Personality and Counselling is not one of kind - the research requires so much blooody interpretation regardless of the branch.

*Apparently its not the end of the world (at least for me) because NeuroPsych Masters is apparently getting a boost over the next few years and i sooo want a career in that area.

Please be aware that these may not be true and the information i present here, in an

I got this info from here, and apparently it may be a rumour, but it does seem possible that we future psychologists who happen to like counselling will be doomed to low pay.

I sure hope thats all a very horrible rumour because if Aus goes through that phase ....just think of how doomed some kids will be draguation just before all hat hits...
But I shouldnt worry since I prefer becoming a Clincal Neuropsychologist, I believe the closest thing to Psychiatry in Psychology? Am I right? I asked a lectrer at MAC info day about which type of Psychologist makes the most money , the professor said with a smile that it all depends * rolls eyes typical* but he did say that anything Clinical would beat counselling... so yah...I guess Aus is going through a phase.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)