unsw qma?? (1 Viewer)

con01

~la'me~
HSC
N/A
ok so i got into Beco at unsw, but ive heard that some of the core subjects for first year are very diifficult to pass eg: QMA especially for someone in my case who only did general maths for the hsc.
Is anyone else in a similar situation who is about to study Beco or Bcomm this year?
if so will you be taking the bridging course?
Ive also heard of something called PASS and Pittstop .... does anyone have an info on these?

~thanx in advance~

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Follow the text book, attend all lectures/tutes, and for now look up the past course outlines (available on the unsw website -> Faculties -> Australian School of Business -> School of Economics) and start trying to look up some of the concepts it mentions are essential to know.

PASS is excellent, one of my best friends is a tutor. Basically it's like an extra class... free tutoring. Attend them. The tutors are students themselves from last year or the year before (this will be the second year my friend is tutoring) that were successful in the subject, so it's on a less "formal" level than a normal tute. You'll be given info on when they are held during the first few lectures/once you have webCT access.

Conspirocy

HSC
I don't know about most people but for me I think I've finally figured out why QMA is so hard.

Basically the way I see it in highschool maths you don't really do "readings", and I assume most people would have the view that you don't do readings for maths or have that mentality. Well I did at least and I think that is the biggest contributor to going shit at a maths subject at uni. All you need to get through QMA is to seriously BUY THE TEXTBOOK, THEN READ IT, THEN DO PAST PAPERS.

Probably one of the hardest subject most com/eco students do at uni. I'm still having flashback nightmares.

Another Tip, I've found that if you can't do the last two questions of the exam paper they will tend to fail you. Might sound silly, but those are the calculus questions that I'm assuming you haven't done in General Maths. You are definetly going to need to focus on those areas. I always tell people to study for the QMA exam backwards because the harder topics are at the end and the easier ones are at the start.

con01

~la'me~
HSC
N/A
Thanx heaps for the advice uhawww and Conspirocy
Ill give it a go and see how things work out.

Conspirocy said:
Probably one of the hardest subject most com/eco students do at uni. I'm still having flashback nightmares.
oh god lol
:worried:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
As long as you do all your readings/homework you'll be fine. I found it really difficult because uni was so different from high school for me, university has such a 'free environment' which for me = not doing the required work. Now if you don't do the readings/homework for micro1, accounting you can still cram at the last minute and do okay. With math subjects like qma, you're boned.

(51 for qma :/ )

HSC
hey buddy, i was in ur situation and did general maths in high school, i did bridging course which most of it is bullshit except the last few weeks helped ALOT with QMA, then i did QMA attended all my pass classes and passed the subject with 58.

ZabZu

HSC
The maths in QMA is harder than the bridging course at uni (I also did general maths and I did the maths skills program at UNSW). Calculus has already been mentioned. It is a huge topic but you dont do it until late in the semester.

Its very important to go to all the lectures and to do all the homework. Tutorials are a waste of time if you dont do the homework. Pass and pitstop are also very useful and beneficial.

juzmister

HSC
I didn't do maths at school...Studied abroad...QMA was tough, but I guess having some good friends and using the tutors available pulled me through...58 baby...

HSC
i learnt matrix algebra just fine and i did general maths! wasnt even in the bridging course either, youll adjust. if you're having problems, go to pass/pitstop, but go in that week youre having troubles and dont leave it last week before the exam and youll be fine

ZabZu

HSC
Casmira said:
i learnt matrix algebra just fine and i did general maths! wasnt even in the bridging course either, youll adjust. if you're having problems, go to pass/pitstop, but go in that week youre having troubles and dont leave it last week before the exam and youll be fine
Yeh i agree. Matrices is fine if you go to lectures and do the work.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I only did 2U mathematics and pulled through. Just make sure you attend all the lectures.

con01

~la'me~
HSC
N/A
Thanx for all the advice guys, lol hopefully i can scrape a pass mark like some of you have spoken about hahaa

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
did 3unit maths and got DN (80) for QMA & Pass (63) for QMB.

i'm more of a mathematical orientated person though, but i kinda enjoyed it. lol;
just do your tute hw, attend lectures and speak out what u don't understand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)