UNSW S1/18 Result Thread (1 Viewer)

miaoww

HSC
Hey everyone! I am mathematically challenged, and have a question about the stream declaration thing. I only did three subjects this sem, and my stream dec was at .5 a few days ago. It has since jumped to .822, but I'm pretty sure that isn't accurate based on my shitty performance in the third course (and the final was on the second last day of exams so it would have been a really quick turnaround for my very slow lecturer/I think there may be double marking?)

Is it possible for all three to have been added with it ending in .822? I thought for 3 subjects it could only end in 0.33 or 0.66. Maybe the marks aren't finalised or something?

chadbonham

HSC
N/A
This so much ~~~~ the last few questions were hard as
Well I emailed Peter after the exam and he said the difficulty of the two semesters has been normalised. He also added that the questions we got in the finals were probably harder than Sem 2. So props to those who still managed a HD though we did it in a harder sem.

Esse

xD
HSC
N/A
Well I emailed Peter after the exam and he said the difficulty of the two semesters has been normalised. He also added that the questions we got in the finals were probably harder than Sem 2. So props to those who still managed a HD though we did it in a harder sem.
Harder than Sem 2?? I heard Sem 2 is actually aids. I literally guessed the last 15 questions omg ceebs

aoc

HSC
Hey everyone! I am mathematically challenged, and have a question about the stream declaration thing. I only did three subjects this sem, and my stream dec was at .5 a few days ago. It has since jumped to .822, but I'm pretty sure that isn't accurate based on my shitty performance in the third course (and the final was on the second last day of exams so it would have been a really quick turnaround for my very slow lecturer/I think there may be double marking?)

Is it possible for all three to have been added with it ending in .822? I thought for 3 subjects it could only end in 0.33 or 0.66. Maybe the marks aren't finalised or something?
What i heard was that if you take your wam and multiply by the number of subjects youve done you should get an integer ~ e.g. my wam ends in .636 and ive done 11 subjects (including this sem) if i multpliy .636 by 11 i get close to 7 which indicates all my subjects have been updated on stream declaration
hopefully someone can confirm is this is true

Last edited:

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
What i heard was that if you take your wam and multiply by the number of subjects youve done you should get an integer ~ e.g. my wam ends in .636 and ive done 11 subjects (including this sem) if i multpliy .636 by 11 i get close to 7 which indicates all my subjects have been updated on stream declaration
hopefully someone can confirm is this is true
Yes, that's how it works, since your WAM (assuming all your subjects are worth the same UOC) will be just the average of your marks, rounded to 3 decimal places, and since your marks for every subjects are integers, their sum is also an integer (which is the average * number of subjects).

For example, mine ends in .75 right now, and I've done a total of 13 courses, 4 of which were this semester. The only possible number of courses that have been entered are therefore 10, 11, 12 or 13.
10 * 0.75 = 7.5
11 * 0.75 = 8.25
12 * 0.75 = 9
13 * 0.75 = 9.75

Therefore 3 (12 - 9) of my courses from this semester have been added in to my WAM so far.

nolimits

HSC
N/A
@KingOfActing Which of your COMP courses do you think has been added. Prog chals or ext algos?

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
OS just get added a few hours ago? Can anyone confirm? Was one out of 2 subjects for me, can't tell which

c_h_eese

HSC
Has ACCT1511 come out?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

sedrickhead

HSC
If you do the same subjects as your friends and all of their subjects have been added to their WAM, does that mean all of yours would have also definetely been added, or do they release the subjects on an individual basis not for everyone all at once.

I'm asking because my wam ends in a .0 (I do three subjects but it's the same as the 3 out of 4 subjects they are doing) but theirs ends in 0.25 even though we are doing the same subjects, so I'm not sure since .0 means any number of my subjects could have been released.

Thanks

HSC
N/A
It's definitely prog chal, I don't think algos has been marked yet (still no mark for final)
Algos was added today for me. Is it just me or was it one of the easiest courses ever? Idk why I heard some people say it is hard, other than doing the 3rd assignment I learnt the second half of the course in like 2 days and got the highest mark i've ever received in a course

SuxMATH

HSC
N/A
If you do the same subjects as your friends and all of their subjects have been added to their WAM, does that mean all of yours would have also definetely been added, or do they release the subjects on an individual basis not for everyone all at once.

I'm asking because my wam ends in a .0 (I do three subjects but it's the same as the 3 out of 4 subjects they are doing) but theirs ends in 0.25 even though we are doing the same subjects, so I'm not sure since .0 means any number of my subjects could have been released.

Thanks
The decimal doesn't necessarily mean how many courses you've completed since it depends on the average.

In general, they do not release the subjects on an individual basis but everyone at once.

sedrickhead

HSC
The decimal doesn't necessarily mean how many courses you've completed since it depends on the average.

In general, they do not release the subjects on an individual basis but everyone at once.
Okay thanks for your help

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Algos was added today for me. Is it just me or was it one of the easiest courses ever? Idk why I heard some people say it is hard, other than doing the 3rd assignment I learnt the second half of the course in like 2 days and got the highest mark i've ever received in a course
I can confirm COMP3821 has been added, I guess COMP3121 was as well.

Which brings us to...
My prediction was correct! Bonus marks did get applied to missing marks in exams, which means I got 100. Yay! :read:

Hillsdbdsndmldsl

HSC
I can confirm COMP3821 has been added, I guess COMP3121 was as well.

Which brings us to...
My prediction was correct! Bonus marks did get applied to missing marks in exams, which means I got 100. Yay! :read:

Nice work!

Seems like no one has asked about this but, specifically in engo/science, what are the courses that have ever had someone getting 100 as the overall mark? So far I've known of ELEC2141 and COMP3121 algo as above, both with bonus assessment. Some MECH course has also had this happen. Has anyone heard of other

I'm wondering if they have to be the courses with bonus marks - since very few courses in general satisfy this criteria. Would it even be possible that one achieve a raw or scaled mark of 100? It seems very difficult not to lose a single mark in written exams even when we can answer every question, especially when most of the assessments are exam-based. Also how does the chance vary with lower and higher year courses?

Last edited:

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Nice work!

Seems like no one has asked about this but, specifically in engo/science, what are the courses that have ever had someone getting 100 as the overall mark? So far I've known of ELEC2141 and COMP3121 algo as above, both with bonus assessment. Some MECH course has also had this happen. Has anyone heard of other

I'm wondering if they have to be the courses with bonus marks - since very few courses in general satisfy this criteria. Would it even be possible that one achieve a raw or scaled mark of 100? It seems very difficult not to lose a single mark in written exams even when we can answer every question, especially when most of the assessments are exam-based. Also how does the chance vary with lower and higher year courses?
I got a raw 100 in COMP1521 in 17s2, no bonus points. I think 100 in COMP1511 is definitely possible, but a lot of effort. People have gotten 100s in COMP4128.

Side note: the only marks I missed in the algos final was a single base case in one question - so bonus points aren't really necessary if you don't make careless mistakes!

I don't think it's really a "chance" - some people just find some courses easier than others. There's really not that much of a difference between a 100 and a 99, except for a few marks here and there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)