UNSW University Preparation Program (1 Viewer)

rod100794

HSC
Hi!

I completed my HSC this year (well, last year - you know what I mean) but wasn't successful in gaining entry to an engineering course anywhere due to a low ATAR as a result of a rather terrible year. However, I was offered entry into the UNSW University Preparation Program 17-20. My question is, what would be best; to study two years at TAFE and get an Advanced Diploma of Engineering (https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/se...tCourse&CourseNo=10391&selType=coursesResults) or accept the UNSW offer, which is one year of academic skills + basic maths/eng topics then into 1st year Engineering?

Would the TAFE diploma cover any subject credits? (Making this method similar to doing two years of engineering at, for example, Wollongong and then transferring to UNSW) If not, would completing the diploma even help me gain access to a university or would it be an entire waste of time altogether?

The prep program would cover only one subject, i.e. 6 credits, effectively making it a waste of a year except that it grants me entry to UNSW Eng.

R

RishadM

Personally I would take the UNSW prep program. If doing that program guarantees you a position in UNSW engineering - then that might be the best option.
With the diploma, it seems that it goes for a duration of 2 years. So it would take twice as long to get into B.Eng with a diploma than the UNSW prep program.
So in the case that credit from a diploma cannot be transferred - then the prep course is the way to go.

If credit can be transferred from your diploma, then it might be a different story. I would email or call (preferably call) UNSW student administration and ask them about credit transfer eligibility from the diploma. They're closed now though so you have to wait until Monday.
Still, I would go with the UNSW prep program. See what other people think too though =]

rod100794

HSC
Thanks for the input :)
According to the TAFE admin guys the diploma would cover approximately a year to a year and a half of uni depending on subject choices and what not.

R

RishadM

Thanks for the input :)
According to the TAFE admin guys the diploma would cover approximately a year to a year and a half of uni depending on subject choices and what not.
That's actually quite a hefty credit transfer, in a good way of course! I would double check the credit transfer with UNSW and any other universities that interest you. If you save a minimum of one year from the credit transfer - then it cuts out to be approx. the same time input as the prep program. And having the diploma would then also not leave you stuck at UNSW and leave your options open. Then again, would universities look at your marks within your diploma when deciding to admit you or not? If they do, which they probably do lol, then you would have to work hard to ensure a place at uni for 2 years. And if you take the UNSW prep program now, I guess you wouldn't have to work nearly as hard (1 year = 6UOC as you said). So yeah, I guess it cuts down to which option you feel safer with, and just doubling checking credit transfers at different universities. It is a difficult choice, both have their own things vouching for them. Sorry for not giving you a clear answer, but hopefully by thinking out loud gave you some stuff to think about XD

rod100794

HSC
I feel like TAFE gives me some advantages (e.g. having a qualification after two years - possibility of finding work and then doing uni part time) at the cost of working harder (relative to the first year in the prep program).

Would definitely have to check with some uni's about the credit transfer.. Sadly TAFE would start on monday though :/

rod100794

HSC
Bump!
Does anyone else have any ideas/experience/opinions? :)

Madridismo

HSC
I say the UNSW UPP :) TAFE might seem ideal and in the hopes of getting into uni it might seem much harder. I think there might be some difficulty from TAFE to UNSW (don't quote me on this), but on the major pro for UNSW UPP you can get into competitive courses in UNSW which are quite prestigious in NSW and Australia, such as commerce, engineering and some of the science-related degrees!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)