UNSW vs USYD in engineering. Which is superior? (1 Viewer)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
If you are thinking of finishing undergrad then get a job immediately after that then consider this scenario:

Suppose there are two of the same person who are equally intelligent with equal opportunities. One of them graduated at Uni A, which is ranked higher in engineering; the other graduated at Uni B, which is ranked lower. Now if you were the employer, whom would you hire?

Otherwise, if you are thinking of getting into research, doing interesting and cutting-edge things, then it's a little bit different. In this case, if you are good then you are good - and you will usually be given the opportunity provided that you can prove that you really are that good (unless we are talking about universities that nobody cares about - it sad, but it happens; but neither UNSW nor Sydney Uni is in that situation).

Ultimately, both of those scenarios are simplified and a lot of the time it also involves making the right connections (and, at the same time, getting the right information). As a starting point it should give you a rough idea of how to choose I hope! :)

Ah, also - if you want to work in academia in science and engineering, ultimately you should aim to get out of the country and go somewhere prestigious *as early as possible*.

Oh, and if you are interested in doing research in a particular field (and fairly certain that's what you want to do) of a particular branch of engineering - I personally think that your decision should be based on which university has the more famous/world-leading lecturer in that field.

Hope that helps! :)

I always thought that UNSW was better but I found out if i do engineering at USyd I can study overseas for a year ... which i want to do.
Speaking from experience, it's fantastic to have the opportunity to go on exchange during your undergrad years or go overseas to do research. Having said that, they are usually marking strategies just to try to attract more students to study the subject (and some require you to achieve at least a certain average in exams).

As Geologic has pointed out, student exchange can also be applied during your study at whichever university (I'm certain that this is the case for UNSW, I assume that it's also the case for Sydney Uni). The only difference is that you probably won't be going with a bunch of engineering friends that way (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Even though UNSW is supposedly better (by popular opinion) , in the end, there are no MAJOR benefits in going to unsw and which uni I go to won't affect me too much when i finish. Am i correct in saying this?
See much earlier.

If you want to study arts or law or something pointless like that, go to USyd.
If you want to be a maddog and actually study something worthwhile and that will put some pretty penny in your carman (engineering), come to UNSW.
Can't say I'm made for law and arts either but I wouldn't say that they are pointless. :p We do have a fancy Law Building in which nothing is horizontal or vertical.

looking at the previous responses begs a certain question

it appears that unsw is better for engineering, but would you take money (eg a scholarship) to go to usyd?

and if you would, then i suppose you must consider whether or not you are choosing engineering for the right reasons.

IMO, given the opportunity to become a good engineering or an excellent engineer, then money shouldnt really effect that choice

(also, anybody that rejects unsw in favour of usyd because of travel time is retarded)
Well said. ;) +1

i'm deciding on the uni based on scholarships

usyd's not ridiculously bad lol you make it out as if unsw owns it in eng - sure it's better, but people still graduate from usyd and get jobs....
Well, UNSW does own Sydney Uni at engineering - as you have pointed it out yourself. :p Yes, people still graduate and get jobs - but are they generally better jobs? ;)

Ultimately it's not going to matter which university you choose, as they are both fucking awesome. Choose whatever is closer (more convenient) or one which more of your friends go to etc.
after a year of it, you won't really give a fuck what uni its at
what a fucking dickhead

It appears that some people can't manage to say anything without swearing. I'm amazed that it goes up to 50% in foulness by word count. :eek: Then again, that's probably as intelligent as they can manage.

Last edited:

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
that's conjecture - from all the eng companies i've talked to, they don't care about the uni, they care about marks, ec's etc. for graduates...
Apologies for that, it is indeed a conjecture, but...

Edited: 'cause I was being an silly and wasn't reading properly :p

... that brings back to what I was implying at the very beginning of my last post. The point is that it doesn't matter when you are good enough and that you can prove it - because that way you get to choose, or you are in the position to negotiate at the very least. However, for someone who isn't in that position, which is the majority of the population really, she/he has to rely on other factors - such as graduating from a more reputable department.

Feel free to comment. :)

Last edited:

untouchablecuz

HSC
wouldn't an employer look favourably upon someone that was awarded with a scholarship regardless of which uni they attended?

Last edited:

Geologic

Banned
HSC
that's conjecture - from all the eng companies i've talked to, they don't care about the uni, they care about marks, ec's etc. for graduates...
I would question the legitimacy of this claim and even put it the other way around.

Most Eng student I know are happy to get 50-60% in everything knowing they'll get a decent job anyway purely by their degree.

HSC
N/A
better scenario
student A: starts uni gets a cadet job

student B: starts uni with job at maccas

student A: strolls through the 4 years

student B: smashes uni with honours

both graduate

student A on a salary twice that of student B. true story

moral of what im saying, get a fucking job in engineering while at uni

shuttle_bus5

HSC
better scenario
student A: starts uni gets a cadet job

student B: starts uni with job at maccas

student A: strolls through the 4 years

student B: smashes uni with honours

both graduate

student A on a salary twice that of student B. true story

moral of what im saying, get a fucking job in engineering while at uni
Ive never heard of these cadet jobs?

HSC
N/A
hmm actaully I dont mean cadet. my bad..wrong words used. Cadet is holiday work...they are meh....

just get a part time fucking job with a small to medium sized firm, there are sooo many companies out there...as long as your willing to learn they will be more than happy to help you out...and you get good perks...

fuck, you're an undergrad, work in something small and by the time you finish uni you will have 4-5 years experience in ENGINEERING....you will end up probably running the bloody company by the time you gradaute...ffs, imagine that on your resume...I wouldnt even bother with grad programs in that position..

Last edited:

thor04

HSC
I'm amazed I still remember my account details.

Regardless, the amount of misinformation in this thread is hilarious, especially from those who have yet to graduate from high school.

When you actually study engineering, you'll find that there is little difference between the universities.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Meh, nevermind. :) I just realised that probably none of us is contributing anymore, since it's past UAC time already isn't it?

*Signs off*. :eek:

When you actually study engineering, you'll find that there is little difference between the universities.
That alone is misinforming.

join the adf and always have a guaranteed job :D
That's fantastic isn't it. :p I was so tempted to join them at one point only to realise then I would have more of a life and less time to bum around on forums. :(

M@ster P

HSC
Is UTS a decent uni for engineering? i.e. will I be disadvantaged if I don't go to UNSW? I want to do civil engineering btw

HSC
N/A
I got to UTS and id say its meh tbqh.

shouldve went to UNSW but I would have dropped out within a month simply because of that extra travel time..

in all honesty, UTS does have good industrial connections....this semester even due to the GFC I see around 50 positions (civil) available in the pvt sector for 6 month internships....it can go high as 80 in good times.

I cant say anything for UNSW but the UTS civil course does have allot of fucking BS subjects...But my boss who graduated from UNSW (1997) told me that UNSW has allot of BS subjects as well.

M@ster P

HSC
Are these internships really worth it at UTS? I seriously can't make up my mind whether its UTS or UNSW. The question is which will I regret more, going to UTS or going to UNSW?

HSC
N/A
It depends. you can still go to uni during your intern. Just pick up night subjects.

HSC
N/A
tbqh it depends where you do your intern...UTS have allot of connection with local councils...allot of sydney saburb council put up 2 interns each semester...from what I recall around 6-8 councils do that semester in semester out.

However, any local government position is an epic bludge and a half.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)