UNSW vs. UTS which is better Must decide quickly!! (1 Viewer)

edenn

HSC
I received an offer for the UTS Bachelor of Accounting program, and then an offer for the UNSW Bachelor of Combined Laws (in which, if I do accept, I plan to do Commerce)

the Bachelor of Accounting is basically the same as the UTS Bachelor of Business course except for a compulsory major in accounting and it is a Co-op course (13k a year).. and the unsw course is a double degree in commerce and law ..

although they are 'typically' two different courses, i am really not sure which one to accept because, for one, i have no idea abt the quality/prestige of the two commerce/business courses

Many people have been saying that UNSW trumps all, and others have been saying that employers prefer UTS graduates, but i could be completely misinformed :(

to be honest, i wouldn't mind doing a Law degree but at the moment, i have no real want to be a lawyer after graduating .. it's just an interest of mine
and i can also do a submajor in Foundations of Law with the UTS BAcc course..

also, if i wanted to continue with Law, i could always do a postgrad after BAcc (although if i were to be employed after, i'd have to be part time law which would take 6 years -_- something i don't particularly want to do) .. and doing the UNSW course would be easier as it packs the 2 degrees together..

and of course, with the BAcc course, i get work experience at 2 different companies, wehreas with the BComm/Law course, i only have to study

so which course should i take -_- UTS BAcc or UNSW Combined Law..

PLEASE help me as i need to make my decision ASAP

=_= thank you

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
"others have been saying that employers prefer UTS graduates" - completely misinformed

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
don't do either, just decline both and vegetate whilst on the dole and get paid by centrelink...

:D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Why bother with Law and another two years studying if you don't intend to pursue it later in life? I reckon BAcc for the experience. I've worked with a couple of BAcc kids and its basically like a free ride into a major firm/company. Impress and do well in the six months you're working there and you've basically got a grad job offered to you if you liked it there, saving you the whole grad recruitment process in your final year.

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
omg here we go again..

*gets ready for the uts vs unsw war thread

Conspirocy

HSC
The way I see it the major decision is whether or not you want to do accounting.

If you know right now that all you want to do is an accounting major and then work the rest of your life as an accountant, then doing B Acct at UTS is better as you are a co-op student and that is impressive compared to a com/law student.

If you want to work somewhere else i.e. law or finance or some other major in business that isnt accounting, then most likely UNSW major in commerce with law is the better option for you.

For example a few friends of mine who were co-ops at unsw ended up dropping the program in accounting becasue they wanted to take offers in finance at investment banks, and being in the program didnt allow them to pursue that. So basically they missed out on doing law which they both could have done, but they both got jobs in investment banks which is all they wanted. But not due to being in a co op program

Last edited:

redom

HSC
ooo HII edenn!! i didnt think u were thatt seriouss abt com/law at unsw!...well bacc isnt constrained only to accounting as the other dude said!...wevee had a few grads to uss and theyvee been in financee roles and all!....STICKK withh bacc!:)...besides the fact im there, YOU GET PAID and get ann awesomee qualification!:)....

and if your still into law...do postgrad law at usyd!....id rather have a BAcc UTS/ Laws (sydney)...then com/law at unsw!...and i think most ppl will agree the first combo's wayy better! (best business and best law degree!!!)...i know it takes an extra year...but you get a years exp with Bacc anyway...so u make it upp there!:)

answer's obvious! Bacc all the way (y)

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Con is on the ball.

If you want accounting, BAcc. No doubt about that.

If you're unsure, Com/Law.

"well bacc isnt constrained only to accounting as the other dude said!"

This is true. But the degree only offers a real advantage to people who want to pursue accounting. He'll get little competitive benefit if he wants to pursue a different field.

Edit: Actually, let me re-iterate. Plenty of non-accounting places would appreciate professional work experience in general (would rate higher than other forms of experiences, extra currics, etc.)

However, a top of the tier foriegn IB or management consulting firm would value the law more I'd imagine though.

So basically you're tossing up between being really hot stuff in the accounting boat or slightly hot stuff in the non-accounting boat

Last edited:

redom

HSC
Oo but if you did want to pursue a career in IB at a top firm...wouldnt BAcc + Grad Law at Sydney still be a better combo? I mean bacc > bcom and sydney law> unsw law by general reputation and all...soo in highly competitve positions like IB id assume theydd prefer the bacc/usyd law combo!...and in terms of the extra year, you get a years experience anyway, as well as 40K tax free... so your loosing nothing anyway!....

bacc!:)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
redom said:
Oo but if you did want to pursue a career in IB at a top firm...wouldnt BAcc + Grad Law at Sydney still be a better combo? I mean bacc > bcom and sydney law> unsw law by general reputation and all...soo in highly competitve positions like IB id assume theydd prefer the bacc/usyd law combo!...and in terms of the extra year, you get a years experience anyway, as well as 40K tax free... so your loosing nothing anyway!....

Forget the course rep for the moment. What do you actually want to learn at uni? If you learn something useful at uni like engineering, law, finance, maths etc and do it well, you will get a job in FO IB anyway.

40k now isn't that much, since you have 40 years of working ahead of you.

yook

HSC
redom said:
and if your still into law...do postgrad law at usyd!....id rather have a BAcc UTS/ Laws (sydney)...then com/law at unsw!...and i think most ppl will agree the first combo's wayy better! (best business and best law degree!!!)...i know it takes an extra year...but you get a years exp with Bacc anyway...so u make it upp there!:)
i hardly think uts has the best business degree... b.acc is good for the free experience in the big accounting firms. you'll still be doing the standard business courses run by UTS!

I think, if you are interested in being an accountant go for the b.acc, it will get your foot in the door much more easily. and then maybe if you do a finance major combined you could get into an IB. I dont know though if you could double major in B.Acc or you could have a minor with accounting.

However, with a comm/law it would be more beneficial imo for one interested in finance... or tax consulting within acct.

and dont think about the money.. 40k isnt much at all once you start working.. and you are working one year of your degree so its pretty much earnt, hardly "free" money.

pursue what you really want!

yook

HSC
Musk said:
Do you think McKinsey is looking to hire in a Recession? :)
haha thats funny

i find it interesting theyve only selected particular unis! most firms dont make any (if any) preferences known

Conspirocy

HSC
redom said:

I personally think that you raise a good point regarding the graduate law idea. However, the reality is that once someone starts working they are more unlikely to leave to go back to uni for graduate law. That's how I see it. This program is structured so you work for a year. That's not a bad thing, but obviously it’s designed to capture talented people with the lure of money.

In accounting I've never seen a person who was a cadet or on a scholarship of some type not make it to high up positions. Seriously, I'm not against UTS, I will admit that I do think UNSW is a much better university, but there is no point in me arguing it out. I am against accounting majors because it is "a good choice" and a safe option to make sure you get work, unless you are going to become an accountant and are hell bent on that idea there is no need to study it, whether you are paid to or not. I studied accounting, I was decent at it, and I found work in it and could get work in it easily today. I think it was the biggest waste of a major because I don't want to be an accountant.

I think if you need the money then go for the scholarship. I would just be careful because you might end up going down a path you don't think is for you just because it is convenient in the short term.

Last edited:

redom

HSC
Conspirocy said:
I personally think that you raise a good point regarding the graduate law idea. However, the reality is that once someone starts working they are more unlikely to leave to go back to uni for graduate law. That's how I see it. This program is structured so you work for a year. That's not a bad thing, but obviously it’s designed to capture talented people with the lure of money.

In accounting I've never seen a person who was a cadet or on a scholarship of some type not make it to high up positions. Seriously, I'm not against UTS, I will admit that I do think UNSW is a much better university, but there is no point in me arguing it out. I am against accounting majors because it is "a good choice" and a safe option to make sure you get work, unless you are going to become an accountant and are hell bent on that idea there is no need to study it, whether you are paid to or not. I studied accounting, I was decent at it, and I found work in it and could get work in it easily today. I think it was the biggest waste of a major because I don't want to be an accountant.

I think if you need the money then go for the scholarship. I would just be careful because you might end up going down a path you don't think is for you just because it is convenient in the short term.
true true, i doubt any bacc's will actually bother doing postgrad law when the time comes around, having work secured and experience and all. Also agree UNSW is the better uni...but i think a course like bacc at uts trumps over unsw business degrees!....really depends on how much you want to do law:S

note: i cant help being so biased! lol

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
the unsw finance co ops have stolen all the ib grad positions for next year

phrred

HSC
i think the UNSW commerce co-op is regarded more highly than Bacc

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Musk said:

EDIT: McKinsey, whats special about this mob? Is it one of the "big 4"
Yes, I think McKinsey is looking to hire in a recession. During the bad years, companies often undergo restructures and they like to get the McKinseys of this world to tell them how best to go about it.

What's special about this mob? I think they like to hire from UNSW, so that kinda makes them special, at least in UNSW.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Musk said:

EDIT: McKinsey, whats special about this mob? Is it one of the "big 4"
Yea.

Anyway, I think I've made my point. :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)