UNSW vs. UTS which is better Must decide quickly!! (1 Viewer)

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Musk said:
Do you think McKinsey is looking to hire in a Recession?

EDIT: McKinsey, whats special about this mob? Is it one of the "big 4"
Musk said:
OK they like to hire from UNSW but are they like an elite company or something?
Omni, to be fair, I think Musk has made your point for you.

I don't expect anyone in UTS to have heard of McKinsey, except maybe a couple of the teaching staff.

Last edited:

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't get what he's trying to say. Is he asking a genuine question the second time?

Conspirocy

HSC
They are a managment consulting firm. So they are on par with like investment banks some would say.

EY are one of the big four in Accounting.

is a roflcopter
HSC
matt have i ever told you
you remind me of denzel washington

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Newbie said:
matt have i ever told you
you remind me of denzel washington
Mate, did someone tell you to say that? He's like three times my age dude. I can't stand stand it when people say that.

Here's a list of the most sought after companies for US MBA graduates to work for, according to Fortune magazine. McKinseys has been ranked No.1 for much of the past 20-odd years, so they are kinda prestigious and "elite."

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/mba100/2007/
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/mba100/2006/index.html

leoyh

mic`
HSC
with Bacc, its a guaranteed job upon graduation, everyone wants to recruit Bacc students. Bcommerce you'll need to fight for it, depending on which area of commerce you decide to major in. Take Bacc if you're interested in accounting, because hte big firms will be monitoring you and one will definitely take you in. Bcommerce if you're interested in like finance, acturial studies etc

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Hey, sorry to hijack this thread, but since it's still active...

Mr Shittles and newbie, which retail/investment banks in sydney have trading desks for exotic derivatives (eg equity, rates, credit, etc)?

Here is my take:

1) the big 4 banks aren't sophisticated enough and are too heavily scrutinised by APRA to enter into anything too speculative.
2) the major international investment banks don't even bother setting up exotic desks in sydney since the market is too small: everything is handled by their major offices in tokyo, HK, etc since the time difference is small.

Thus, that leaves the only notable Australian investment bank: Macquarie.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
how bout the other ones like morgan stanley, JP morgan, citibank?

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
True but Macquarie's strength is its principal investing/investment banking team. I don't think they're going to expand rapidly into a new line. There's still so much opportunities for their business concept in the Asia region, not to mention London and NY.

Aside from GS (which is top in trading, banking, principal investing), everyone focusses on what they do well. UBS is really a pwm place on a global scale. DB is a debt house.

Rorix

HSC
§eraphim said:
Hey, sorry to hijack this thread, but since it's still active...

Mr Shittles and newbie, which retail/investment banks in sydney have trading desks for exotic derivatives (eg equity, rates, credit, etc)?

Here is my take:

1) the big 4 banks aren't sophisticated enough and are too heavily scrutinised by APRA to enter into anything too speculative.
2) the major international investment banks don't even bother setting up exotic desks in sydney since the market is too small: everything is handled by their major offices in tokyo, HK, etc since the time difference is small.

Thus, that leaves the only notable Australian investment bank: Macquarie.
UBS is big in equity exotics in Sydney

Re: original threadstarter, what some posters aren't telling you is that an accounting job with a Big 4 is not really that desirable a job coming out of uni for a top student - on the lower end of the pay scales, and they take huge numbers of people

is a roflcopter
HSC
hi sexy people

i would think every bank would have a trading desk for derivs? but certainly nothing much for newbies like you and me. everyone starts in equities research hehehe

ML is big on losing money and saying no to clients GG -_-

Evan11

HSC
Newbie said:
hi sexy people

i would think every bank would have a trading desk for derivs? but certainly nothing much for newbies like you and me. everyone starts in equities research hehehe

ML is big on losing money and saying no to clients GG -_-
bah?

is a roflcopter
HSC
in other news... unsw now has an IBSOC? whats going on!
moving in on finsoc territory! lets roll them matt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)