Uow 2010 (1 Viewer)

sj1990

HSC
I am also doing the Bachelor of Creative Arts Dean's Scholar... slightly nervous now that its a 30 hour week. NightSarah - where are you from? Are you commuting or what? I'm from Sydney. My parents are trying to buy a flat and rent out the second room if you're interested... it might be nice to have support from another Dean's Scholar... Uni sounds scary enough, but holy shit - 30 hr week! Looking forward to it!

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Make sure you go to your orientation/enrolment day in person if you can at all- it's a good start. This will be even easier for the Dean's Scholar people.

As for subjects, AbsoluteZero will of course know more than what I will- but your classes are all the same, you don't need any consultation unless you're trying to get into a subject which for some reason you don't meet the pre-requisites.

My advice is just to immerse yourself in uni. Go to enrolment, talk to people in your classes and especially when you're leaving/between classes.. go for coffee, go to the bar, and before you know it, you'll have some really solid friends and be having an awesome time, as well as doing a pretty funky degree :)
Wollongong really is a nice uni (all universities have their downsides of course), and I'm really glad I've done my degree here.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I am also doing the Bachelor of Creative Arts Dean's Scholar... slightly nervous now that its a 30 hour week. NightSarah - where are you from? Are you commuting or what? I'm from Sydney. My parents are trying to buy a flat and rent out the second room if you're interested... it might be nice to have support from another Dean's Scholar... Uni sounds scary enough, but holy shit - 30 hr week! Looking forward to it!</SPAN>
If your production, you'll probably have less, as you may not have to attend every hour of all rehearsals, depending on your role. However, be prepared to do so, as it is at the whim of the individual director.

My advice is just to immerse yourself in uni. Go to enrolment, talk to people in your classes and especially when you're leaving/between classes.. go for coffee, go to the bar, and before you know it, you'll have some really solid friends and be having an awesome time, as well as doing a pretty funky degree
The great thing about Creative Arts Performance, is that all the years are really close to one another. You should have a huge network of friends in first year, and a lot in the others as well. But yeah, definitely get out there are try and be friends with people. Try and learn names as quickly as possible. It makes communication, and making friendships a lot easier.

sj1990

HSC
So are the production kids with the performance kids at all times? Or are we seperated when they are doing movement, vocal skills etc? How does it work out?

Thanks for answering my questions!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Outside of class time, you spend most of your time with actors. However in class, they do:
Voice
Singing
Movement
Character

Production does the following:
Producing
Technical Production (1st years only)
Technical Production (with other years)
Artistic Production (Done with some of the actors)

The above production classes names are just a description of what is covered. It is not the actual class name (as they are just called production). You will have a slightly different schedule to the actors as well (though not too much). It's not just two different classes at the same time i.e. Producing at same time as voice.

With the actors, you do the 12 hours of rehearsals, though you may be off somehere else doing other things. The other class together is Dramaturgy, which is 1 2hr lecture and a 1hr tutorial. Basically the theory of theatre; like HSC Drama theory (but more in depth).

Nightsarah

HSC
I am also doing the Bachelor of Creative Arts Dean's Scholar... slightly nervous now that its a 30 hour week. NightSarah - where are you from? Are you commuting or what? I'm from Sydney. My parents are trying to buy a flat and rent out the second room if you're interested... it might be nice to have support from another Dean's Scholar... Uni sounds scary enough, but holy shit - 30 hr week! Looking forward to it!
:jump: YAYYYY someome else!!!
I'll pm you about the renting - I'm also from Sydney, St. George Reigon.

So glad there's someone else on here in DS !

Nightsarah

HSC
Make sure you go to your orientation/enrolment day in person if you can at all- it's a good start. This will be even easier for the Dean's Scholar people.

As for subjects, AbsoluteZero will of course know more than what I will- but your classes are all the same, you don't need any consultation unless you're trying to get into a subject which for some reason you don't meet the pre-requisites.

My advice is just to immerse yourself in uni. Go to enrolment, talk to people in your classes and especially when you're leaving/between classes.. go for coffee, go to the bar, and before you know it, you'll have some really solid friends and be having an awesome time, as well as doing a pretty funky degree :)
Wollongong really is a nice uni (all universities have their downsides of course), and I'm really glad I've done my degree here.
When/How do we get our "mentors"? Do they play a big part in anything?
Does anyone know when orientation/enrollment day actually is?? Cause I wanted to apply for EdStart but if Orientation is on the 28/1 like I've heard than that won't give me much time :S

spazamataz

HSC
Did anyone get a call from the uni today?
Some woman rang up and was like "Congratulations on your mark, blah blah blah"

harryc

HSC
Doing a double degree next year - Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies w/ Screen Studies/Bachelor of Creative Arts (Creative Writing). Getting pretty keen for it to start - which I know I'll change my mind about after like three days.

spazamataz

HSC
its on the 5th january. i dont think i will bother cause i already know what i want to do, although it might be good to go and check the accommodation out.

Jocharles

HSC
I got into 'B of Digital Media'. Anyone else doing the same course? What do you think it will be like?

Nightsarah

HSC
Doing a double degree next year - Bachelor of Communication and Media Studies w/ Screen Studies/Bachelor of Creative Arts (Creative Writing). Getting pretty keen for it to start - which I know I'll change my mind about after like three days.

Cool! We might be in some classes together :D
PM me if you have msn :)

HSC
Is anyone else coming from heaps far away?
One of my friends was coming as well but now they aren't so i'm a loaner :( lol

yep il be going to UOW :spin:
but.. I live like 5 1/2 hours away :mad1:
so it's gonna suck driving down there, not mentioning the petrol money too!!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Wait...you live five and a half hours away and are planning to commute?
I'm assuming his post was referring to the option day. If not... insanity.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I haven't decided yet wether to buy a car, but to go home to visit would take almost seven hours by public transport. But with the shuttle bus, I don't really need a car to go to uni
I'm a bit the same with the car dilemma. I think I might share a car with roomates. We don't all need one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)