UOW vs UNSW CSE workload (1 Viewer)

Krenkhouse

HSC
Hi everyone

Im currently enrolled at UNSW and, as the title indicates, am undertaking a degree in computer engineering. Being from a small rural town and never really investigating the specifics of university before coming here I have been taken a bit by surprise by the workload of my course at UNSW. A few of my highschool friends go to UOW and do flexi first year engineering there. They say that the workload isnt too bad where as i have been working flat out for the past 3 weeks just to keep up. This is especially surprising since i was willing to work much more during the HSC period and as a result of that i performed quite a bit better than them. That being said here are my questions:

1) How is the workload of engineering at UOW (specifically computer engineering if possible) compared to UNSW?

2) Is engineering at UOW really of a much lower quality?

3) How would this transfer effect my future? i.e Ability to find job post graduation

Thanks.

D94

HSC
N/A
What you are asking is for a student to have attended both UOW and UNSW. Very unlikely to find someone here who has done that.

The workload is what you make of it, and of course your own aptitude and abilities will play a role in how you cope with the workload and understanding the content. Some students will understand the concepts quickly and only need to do the bare minimum to do well, others will need to work much harder just to pass the course.

Workload really shouldn't be a deciding factor. Each course is different and you will learn to adjust to what you need to do in order to achieve whatever grade you are aiming for.

Why did you choose UNSW? Are those factors really outweighed by 3 weeks of workload? Also assuming you live on campus or nearby, you obviously have more time than others so maybe time management is something you need to work on - I'm only guessing.

Krenkhouse

HSC
Thanks for the reply.

To answer you're questions: The reason i choose UNSW was really due to the prestige it carries with it. I didnt do any research which was silly of me to be honest. The workload is actually a major deterministic factor. I do feel as though i am slower than many of the students around me when i am in tutes and labs.

I come from a school that had 50 year 12 students. I got dux quite comfortably and came first in 5 of my 6 subjects (the exception being english) so to be honest i never had anyone in my school to compare myself to. At the moment im finding it extremely difficult to keep up with the amount of work they are giving me without dedicating most of my time

I'm a pretty social person. I like to go out, have fun with my friends and kick back at the beach but i dont mind doing some hard work as long as it is in moderation.What im looking for is some balance. Oh and no, i dont live on campus or near it. I couldnt afford anything closer than roughly 75 minutes away.

You are right that the answer im looking for requires a person with an a pretty specific set of conditions so ill re-iterate and remove my first question

Ethicks

HSC
If you're talking in terms of work load then yes, UOW would be less work. I have heard many tales of how extreme UNSW Engineering workload is compared to say, USYD. No one gives a shit where you got your degree as long as you have one and I guess Engineers Australia accreditation is obtained.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)