Update me on VSU (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
walrusbear said:
goddamn

so was it amended at all?
I don't think so. Joyce crossed the floor, and Senators Brown and Stott Despoja (at least) were quite scathing of Fielding's closed-door discussions with the government, so I'm assuming that it was passed in its original form.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
WTF? I heard earlier today that Joyce had quashed the arguments til next year?

Well, I'll still be paying my GSC, I think union membership is vital, and it doesn't cost all that much (like, ten bucks a week)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Don't be so simplistic, matty. The student unionism issue goes far beyond that of just 'having fun'. We really don't need comments such as your own at the moment, because it wouldn't be fair to give calulon and the other VSUers more reason to gloat.

sarevok

HSC
Fantastic news. No longer do I have to fork out exobritant union fees for services I do not use. What's even more satisfying is that the anti-VSU people probably thought that they were safe until next year, only to be fucked over at the last minute.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Student union fees bill is passed

December 9, 2005

Family First senator Steve Fielding today delivered the Federal Government its ban on compulsory student union fees.

Renegade Nationals senator Barnaby Joyce voted against the bill.

Under the laws, no university student will be compelled to join a student organisation, union or guild from July 1, 2006, unless they choose to.

In addition, no student will be compelled to pay a fee to an institution for non-academic amenities, facilities or services unless they choose to pay a fee to make use of those services.

SMH
No word on Fielding's booty.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
There are arguments both for and against VSU that you should consider. While we need an active university community, this should not be at the expense of student welfare. What it came down to in the end, was a realisation that for all the benefits of student unionism, could we tell poor students that paying their student contributions is more important than buying groceries? At most of the larger universities, these student contributions represent two week's wages - wages that they live on week by week.

Generator

HSC
N/A
To add to Moonlight's last post...

Family First vote gets VSU through Senate

The voluntary student unionism (VSU) legislation has passed the Senate.

Family First Senator Steve Fielding voted in favour of the bill.

Nationals Senator Barnaby Joyce crossed the floor to vote against the Coalition.

"And I am passionate about it because I think we are being bloody-minded in that we could go forward and come up with a reasonable solution," said Senator Joyce.

"Families, 5,000 of them, are going to be affected by this bill. Where is the impact statement on them?" he said.

In the end, the Government got the support of Senator Fielding.

"I have been able to weigh up these issues and clarify these views and finally arrive at a decision," Senator Fielding said.

That has not impressed Greens Senator Kerry Nettle.

"Well there you go, there's the deal 4 o'clock on a Friday, senator sell-out here," she said.

Labor and the Democrats also opposed the bill and accused Senator Fielding of doing a grubby deal with the Government.

Compulsory student unionism will be banned from July next year

Source: ABC Online

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
no student will be compelled to pay a fee to an institution for non-academic amenities
Haha, I'm so lame, I read that and I'm like "right, that means we can stop all the non-VSU shits from using the toilets in the union building!!"

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
No word on Fielding's booty.
...I wonder...Even though presents himself as independent of the Liberal government he has fallen into line with every bit of 'controversial' government legislation.

Generator

HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
...I wonder...Even though presents himself as independent of the Liberal government he has fallen into line with every bit of 'controversial' government legislation.
Even IR?

Edit: 'controversial' = ?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Generator said:
Even IR?

Edit: 'controversial' = ?
I thought he fell into line with IR? Or you mean 'controversial'? If thats the case IR could be controversial. It depends how its implemented.

Generator

HSC
N/A
He was against the IR reform package, and at the time many were saying that he was far from being the Government stooge that everyone first thought he would be. How times change.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Master Yoda said:
i also wish to add that i do not believe that student union fees should be applied to people who are distance education, and that part time students and summer school students should have their amount halved
At Newcastle, part-time students pay a lower rate than fulltime students. A bit more than half, but still less.

Jonathan A

HSC
Master Yoda, I caught a glimpse of what you said and I totally disagree with you. I don't like paying union fees where I don't use the union and don't give me the "Oh the services are vital'. I don't break uni by-laws to have them represent me, I don't need their services, and I don't like protesting. That's me and probably most students.

I think VSU is a great idea. I am starting my own Association at uni and I want to do things my way between me and the uni and I don't want or need students compulsually funding my association. If they like the idea, they will support it. Simple as that! To many association who take our money and they say see you later and whats more we are not voluntary customers, we are forced.

What will VSU do? It will make Universities start covering services which are not profitable for the private sector and will force student associations to be more attractive to students. I wont miss dogma being printed every week bagging my university.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Jonathan A said:
I don't like paying union fees where I don't use the union and don't give me the "Oh the services are vital
That's what annoyed me the most. If I say that union fees don't benefit me it's because they don't benefit me, not because I don't know what I am talking about.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Jonathan, if the universities are already strapped for cash (UWS in particular), then from where will they get the funding for those services that are essential yet invisible? From where will the supposed be fat be trimmed to ensure the continued existence of student services currently managed and funded by the unions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)