UQ vs. QUT (1 Viewer)

Chemistryace

HSC
Does anyone know of the standard of each of them in engineering and where it would be better to study? I want to go to UQ because their OP cut off is higher so I assumed they are better.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
UQ is such a beautiful uni, i'll go there just for that :p

Jase11

HSC
Hi, I came across your thread and though I might be able to give a bit of an insight.

My name is Jason and I'm currently a second year engineering student at QUT. I'm a Dean's Scholar which means that I get a full scholarship for my studies as well as exposure to leading engineering companies including Laing O'Rourke, Thiess, Brisbane Airport Corporation and several others. So you know, I also work part time in marketing for the faculty which has given me a bit of a behind the scenes look at how the course is actually taught.

Engineering at QUT has a strong focus on industry exposure, so there's plenty of opportunity for undergrad work experience (ie. while you're still studying) which, on top of generally being well paid, is necessary to complete an engineering degree. We also have lecturers who are practicing engineers themselves or have had plenty of experience out in the work force.

If you're looking for extra curricular activities, there are many student groups and clubs you can join including QUT Motorsports (they build a race car every year and take it down to Melbourne to compete against other groups), Engineers Without Borders (involved with many projects aimed to improve the standard of living in disadvantaged areas) and the UAV Outback Challenge (Uninhabited Aerial Vehicles are being developed for use in search and rescue operations such as the Victorian Bushfires).

I hope this has given you something to think about at least, if you need more information, check out our website www.qut.edu.au or send an email to study@qut.com . One last piece of advice, chose your university for what you will get out of it, not because of what others say or how they will react. If you stick to that, whatever you chose will be the right choice.

GinoIs

HSC
Listen to Jason - he's going places in life.

University is what you make of it, you can either float through it and get your paper or you can join clubs and get real experience.

... So thats what they teach Dean's kids at that KG conference ;)

HSC
Hi, I came across your thread and though I might be able to give a bit of an insight.

My name is Jason and I'm currently a second year engineering student at QUT. I'm a Dean's Scholar which means that I get a full scholarship for my studies as well as exposure to leading engineering companies including Laing O'Rourke, Thiess, Brisbane Airport Corporation and several others. So you know, I also work part time in marketing for the faculty which has given me a bit of a behind the scenes look at how the course is actually taught.

Engineering at QUT has a strong focus on industry exposure, so there's plenty of opportunity for undergrad work experience (ie. while you're still studying) which, on top of generally being well paid, is necessary to complete an engineering degree. We also have lecturers who are practicing engineers themselves or have had plenty of experience out in the work force.

If you're looking for extra curricular activities, there are many student groups and clubs you can join including QUT Motorsports (they build a race car every year and take it down to Melbourne to compete against other groups), Engineers Without Borders (involved with many projects aimed to improve the standard of living in disadvantaged areas) and the UAV Outback Challenge (Uninhabited Aerial Vehicles are being developed for use in search and rescue operations such as the Victorian Bushfires).

I hope this has given you something to think about at least, if you need more information, check out our website www.qut.edu.au or send an email to study@qut.com . One last piece of advice, chose your university for what you will get out of it, not because of what others say or how they will react. If you stick to that, whatever you chose will be the right choice.
lol

Suic1de

Banned
HSC
To be quite honest there is a huge shortage of engineers in Australia right now that the place you graduated from won't really matter.

All universities that offer the engineering course have had their content approved by the respective society so you should not be ill-informed by going to a different university.

IMO you should pick the university which you feel most comftable in, find out about this through open days or just a visit during the week. You'll be alot happier and find it easier to study if you are comfatable with the university and thus better marks.

"Engineering at QUT has a strong focus on industry exposure, so there's plenty of opportunity for undergrad work experience (ie. while you're still studying) which, on top of generally being well paid, is necessary to complete an engineering degree. We also have lecturers who are practicing engineers themselves or have had plenty of experience out in the work force"

That sounds nice although i'm pretty sure every university says and does the exact same thing.

Deputy_4CS

HSC
Yeah, suic1de has summed it up pretty well i reckon. There are very slight differences between the course structure of both UQ and QUT (uq focuses slightly more on theoretical knowledge, whereas qut probably covers a bit more on "workplace" related stuff like teamwork). However, both UQ and QUT cover all the required material to meet engineers australia standards so wat uni u go 2 won't have any bearing on u getting employment after uni. I'd advise u to just go to watever uni u feel like coz it doesn't really matter to much in terms of the quality of ur education or postgrad employment opportunities.

Hope this helps.:wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)