• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ur opinion (1 Viewer)

mystify

HSC
Hey everyone,

I have an assessment task in which i have to investigate the general opinion people possess about those who come from different religious backgrounds/faiths, particularly Christianity, Judaism and Islam. For instance, are you tolerant of people with different beliefs or do you dislike them for a particular reason. Also, do you find that you are 'swayed' by the ways in which the media portrays religious backgrounds or do you judge people according to their own/individual merits. Your honesty would be greatly appreciated. Thnx in advance... :)

santaslayer

HSC
I tend to judge people negatively/positively by their charcteristics and traits. If these characteristics and, or traits define the particular religion culture they're in then yes, I can be intolerant at times. :)

Jennibeans

HSC
Personally I'm tolerant of other religious traditions. I do know a few people who aren't tolerant at all & 1 who would as far as to call people who aren't Catholics "stupid." People like that irritate me & I don't think anyone should be judged on what their religious persuasion may be. Can't ignore though that people do judge on the basis of religion for e.g. the perception of Islam that has come out of all the terrorism stuff going on.

Igor

HSC
N/A
heya, me Jewish.

i'm tolerant of other peoples beliefs, but i'm intolerant of people who are really in your face about it, you know "you should be this religion, cause it's the only proper one" kind of thing.
of course i'm "swayed" by the media, I try not to be, but often we only get one side of the story.

interestingly, the media (from what i can see) is moving from being pro- Isralie to pro- Palestinian regarding conflict in Israel. a few years ago i was getting pretty angry with Palestinians in general... but now I hate what the Jewish people are doing others.
it's even worse when you know that the Isralites *invaded* Palestine to start with.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
I'm tolerant with other people's beliefs, I have friends who are christians, but I don't know anyone who are jewish, whether I just don't know that or I don't have any that are. I know one person who doesn't like the Jewish society at UTS..but I guess its just because they've clashed before on certain topics.
I don't think its right to judge people here, based on one individual. Like someone said before, the whole Palestinian and Israeli conflict affects us as a religion, but there are innocent people on both sides dying because of it. I do feel more for the Palestinians rather then the Israeli's because they are the one being forced off and taken over, but no I won;t judge people because of that, mor elike what they think personally.

I hope that made sense... :confused:

Igor

HSC
N/A
made sense to me. the media forces opinions on us wether we like it or not. but it really is up to us what we say and do. I know that i can get annyed and angry at people for what they do, but I don't know their whole context, and i don't understand what's going on all the time. we all just have to try and remain objective and do what we think is right.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
I really dislike the way the (mainstream) media protrays religion in general and various religions in particular. One of the best eg's I can think of was after "9/11" (to borrow from the Seppo's) and how Islam was portrayed on TV and in print. I was sitting with the inlaws (typical old "Aussies") and they were both going off over how "stupid Islams" (as they called them...how insulting), why are they here in Australia, bloddy terrorists etc etc etc"
I was sitting there cringing at their ignorance. Up I get to retrive my Quran from my bag (was teaching Islam in Yr11 at the time) and showed them the relevant passages on war etc. Finished it off by saying that you may as well call all Irish terrorists and all Catholics terrorists 'cause of the IRA (they are of Irish stock but with a Jewish last name...interesting combo!). The media kept up this crap until Bush went to a mosque to pray for peace and show that all Muslims were not evil etc etc. The media in Australia then changed its tune and started to show human interest stories on how "normal" Aussie Muslims are... Today Tonight even ran an apology for inflaming racial hatred (which they were...)
Stoopid Americans and their influence on our brainless and spineless media...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
technically im christian (uniting church), but i so dont go by that coz im so unreligious (lol)
i think i judge people based on the person, not the relgion. i mean, i know people that think all muslims are terrorists, but i so dont buy that, every religion (as with every other way of categorizing people) have good and bad people and i think the religion has very little to do with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)