urgent help on building an ac motor (1 Viewer)

johnny89

HSC
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->For the holidays I need to build an electric motor, I have decided to do an induction/synchronous motor.
I made four electromagnets, where i covered them with three layers of insulated copper wire, I placed them so there perpindicular to eachother. I then wrapped them in coil, in series. All I have to do is put a magnet in the middle and hope it spins. I currently dont have anything to test it with but could anyone tell me if im on the right track, or whether it would be better to wrap the coil in parallel, where i use two seperate pieces of coil for the two opposite pairs of magnets, and use one end as earth, and the other connected to the power source.
can anyone please tell me if im doing it right or if you have any suggestions please say
Thank You

jyu

HSC
johnny89 said:
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->For the holidays I need to build an electric motor, I have decided to do an induction/synchronous motor.
I made four electromagnets, where i covered them with three layers of insulated copper wire, I placed them so there perpindicular to eachother. I then wrapped them in coil, in series. All I have to do is put a magnet in the middle and hope it spins. I currently dont have anything to test it with but could anyone tell me if im on the right track, or whether it would be better to wrap the coil in parallel, where i use two seperate pieces of coil for the two opposite pairs of magnets, and use one end as earth, and the other connected to the power source.
can anyone please tell me if im doing it right or if you have any suggestions please say
Thank You
Try to make a simple one like:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/indmot.html#c1

Warning! Do not connect directly to the mains supply.
Use school lab power pack AC.
Make sure electromagnet has many windings in order not to short circuit the power pack.

:) :) :wave:

Roobs

HSC
Parallel will draw more current, and therefore give you a motor that may actually go. :)...i'd wire each pair in series, and then have your two pairs connected to the powersupply in parallel....get ahold of a multimeter, measure the resistace of your coils, and use ohms law to mae sure you aint gonna blow any fuses.

use your right hand rules, or a DC supply and a small magnet to make sure you have your pole pairs arranged propelry

dont skimp on construction, and make sure everything is square, solid, and spinning freely.
Enjoy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)